Xpedition - Cabin facilities

AliB

Am trying to plan what I am going to take for 30lb luggage limit - could anyone let me know whether the following are provided in cabin.

Beach towels - that you can take for snorkelling etc.

Toiletries - and if so what sort - shower gel? soap? shampoo? etc.

I would be very grateful if somebody could help.

Celebrity will provide good sized beach towels. When we sailed last fall they also provided soap, shampoo, etc. in the separate mini containers .

To be honest, nobody checks the 30 lb limit. If you're doing the standard Quito package you can also leave some stuff at the Marriott.

On the other hand, if you're way over 30 lbs you're probably packing too much stuff.

Enjoy,

Frank

To expand a bit. We found most of the amenities that we have received on any ship. Since it's more informal, the 30 lb limit is not difficult to adhere to (although on our cruise, they didn't make an issue of the weight unless it was way over). We left a suitcase with the sweaters, slacks, etc that we took for the cooler climate in Quito at the Marriott. Onboard, it was swimsuits, shorts, tee shirts, etc. during the day and casual shirts, slacks or capris at night with a light sweater sometimes when on deck. It was lovely to just enjoy nature and be comfortable without worrying about matching shoes, etc. like on a formal cruise. Don't worry about not taking enough...you'll likely take too much (we did and regretted it).

To expand a bit. We found most of the amenities that we have received on any ship. Since it's more informal, the 30 lb limit is not difficult to adhere to (although on our cruise, they didn't make an issue of the weight unless it was way over). We left a suitcase with the sweaters, slacks, etc that we took for the cooler climate in Quito at the Marriott. Onboard, it was swimsuits, shorts, tee shirts, etc. during the day and casual shirts, slacks or capris at night with a light sweater sometimes when on deck. It was lovely to just enjoy nature and be comfortable without worrying about matching shoes, etc. like on a formal cruise. Don't worry about not taking enough...you'll likely take too much (we did and regretted it).

Hi,

I am booked on the Xpedition for December of next year. An 11 nighter.

I was just informed of the 30lb per person luggage limits. I am an overpacker and I am so concerned about this. How on Earth did you do it? Can you remember what exactly you packed? Also what type of luggage did you take? I'm thinking of an oversized duffle for each my husband and I. DOes that sound feasible? I know it's all casual but you still need tennis shoes, sandals, hiking shoes, flip flops/ water shoes. I am a shoe person, as you can tell. So I think I will have a problem with the 30lb per person limits. Also, are there hair dryers in the rooms?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I leave for Alaska in two weeks and I am having a frenzy over what to pack for this trip too.

Thanks,

Peggy

Hi,

I am booked on the Xpedition for December of next year. An 11 nighter.

I was just informed of the 30lb per person luggage limits. I am an overpacker and I am so concerned about this. How on Earth did you do it? Can you remember what exactly you packed? Also what type of luggage did you take? I'm thinking of an oversized duffle for each my husband and I. DOes that sound feasible? I know it's all casual but you still need tennis shoes, sandals, hiking shoes, flip flops/ water shoes. I am a shoe person, as you can tell. So I think I will have a problem with the 30lb per person limits. Also, are there hair dryers in the rooms?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I leave for Alaska in two weeks and I am having a frenzy over what to pack for this trip too.

Thanks,

Peggy

From my point of view you need not hikingh shoes nor water shoes. I did just super with only a good pair of New balance running shoes for the hikes,leisurely long walks with a little uneven terrain--the problem is not the uneveness as much as you might stumble because you are distracted by the annimals and taking pictures.

Tevas doubled as water shoes and sandles -no need to take both.

I've said it before and will repeat it again...lay out the bare minimum you think you nee,then take half of it.No one cares how fashionable you are on this trip and you might feel overdressed or risk making others feel uncomfortable if you are.

The Xpedition has an excellent,quick laundry service if you need it.

Don't obcess,relax,let this trip come to you, and you are guaranteed the time of your life.

Hi,

As always, I agree with Dr. Fun, but in the spirit of knowing about ladies with a thing for shoes...I'm not one, but I do understand...you might want to take whichever shoes you need for walking/hiking - I used Merrell water sandals for all things and switched to running shoes occasionally, and a pair of regular sandals for evenings. You really do not need a lot of clothes...might look at other recommendations on the Xpedition board. I wore mostly swim suits, shorts and T shirts during the day and took a long sleeve shirt when it was either cool or very sunny for sun or breeze protection. Evenings were capris, shorts or slacks and nicer shirts and that was it. Left sweaters and long pants in Quito at the Marriott, just took a light rain jacket which I wore one time and a light sweater (for on the deck at night). The limit isn't strongly adhered to but is REALLY doable. We used medium size duffles and small carry on totes for each of us plus camera bag and snorkel gear. No problems at all. You CAN do it...in fact, I wished I had taken less...it was strange to come home with some clean clothes despite packing light!

From my point of view you need not hikingh shoes nor water shoes. I did just super with only a good pair of New balance running shoes for the hikes,leisurely long walks with a little uneven terrain--the problem is not the uneveness as much as you might stumble because you are distracted by the annimals and taking pictures.

Tevas doubled as water shoes and sandles -no need to take both.

I've said it before and will repeat it again...lay out the bare minimum you think you nee,then take half of it.No one cares how fashionable you are on this trip and you might feel overdressed or risk making others feel uncomfortable if you are.

The Xpedition has an excellent,quick laundry service if you need it.

Don't obcess,relax,let this trip come to you, and you are guaranteed the time of your life.

Thanks so much. I was wondering if there was a laundry on board. Knowing that I can pack much less.

I am so sure this will be a wonderful and exciting trip. We are going with another couple and this is all we can talk about and we have 3 other cruises before this one.

Thanks again,

Peggy

I know I've said this before, but the Xpedition is *not* like going on a cruise, it's like going to camp as a kid - only with an open bar . Its truly a different mind set than any other cruise I've been on.

I can't tell you how many times we dragged ourselves aboard as the sun was setting to see our new friends in the lounge already enjoying themselves. A quick shower, change of clothes and we were in the lounge. Probably less than 20 minutes. The point is, the trip is all about being laid back and having fun. As long as you wear *some*, clothes are the last thing anyone is concerned about.

Frank

I know I've said this before, but the Xpedition is *not* like going on a cruise, it's like going to camp as a kid - only with an open bar . Its truly a different mind set than any other cruise I've been on.

I can't tell you how many times we dragged ourselves aboard as the sun was setting to see our new friends in the lounge already enjoying themselves. A quick shower, change of clothes and we were in the lounge. Probably less than 20 minutes. The point is, the trip is all about being laid back and having fun. As long as you wear *some*, clothes are the last thing anyone is concerned about.

Frank

But it is a cruise! Some people just do not understand how important it is to look their best at all times. Obviviously I will have fun, I plan on it but if I am going to enjoy myself I also would want to feel like I would any other time in my life and that is to try to look my best. If some people can't understand that then that is they're problem. I never went to camp but if had I would have still probably want to look my best. I'm not worried about what I others are concerned about, I wanted to know how possible it is to stay within the 30lb per person weight limits.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Peggy

Peggy,

I certainly agree that we always want to look our best. I think Frank's point is that on this cruise the need for multiple outfits and typical dressy cruise clothes (which I certainly enjoy on a typical cruise) are not needed. Nice 'country club casual' outfits are fine and mix and match worked well for me. The women (and men) on our cruise were well dressed in the evening - just very casually dressed. Several women dressed up in sun dresses or skirts and that was fine for them...the rest of us wore capris, etc. and that was fine for us and no one was critical of anyone else. Hope this helps.

I took way too many "dressy" outfits. I felt a little stupid wearing them but felt obligated since I'd hauled them aboard! My husband wore long pants and a polo shirt to dinner every night but he could have gotten by very easily with shorts and t-shirts. I took a really big pair of binoculars. Didn't need them at all. They provided a decent pair. The only thing I wished I would have taken was our own snorkle gear. They ran out of my husband's size for flippers and I couldn't get my mask to stop leaking. The only thing I would suggest you NOT forget is bug spray. The biting flies were horrible at a couple of stops and we encountered mosquitos, too. We went in April.

We plan to go back again, possibly next year. It was the vacation of a lifetime.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the dressy clothes. I do understand that I should not bring dressier clothes. I'm fine with that, I'm not planning on taking any dressier clothes.

However, I can not wear an outfit twice, DH can, but I can't. That being said, I have 11 days of two outfits a day with shoes to pack in a duffle bag. It is very hot there that time of year, I am told and I'm sure you would get very sweaty. SO wearing something twice is out of the question.

I have trouble with two 50 lb limit suitcases on a 7 ight cruise and I have to limit myself to 30lbs period including the weight of the duffle, that is what concerns me.

Peggy

However, I can not wear an outfit twice, DH can, but I can't. That being said, I have 11 days of two outfits a day with shoes to pack in a duffle bag. It is very hot there that time of year, I am told and I'm sure you would get very sweaty. SO wearing something twice is out of the question.

Peggy

Another suggestion --- you might consider using the ships laundry. We have used it on each cruise to help minimize some of the clothes be "hauled" accross the world. This has help and considering the cost it was and is worthwhile.

Plus you can leave some clothes at the Marriot as well.

Mike & Emily

I took way too many "dressy" outfits. I felt a little stupid wearing them but felt obligated since I'd hauled them aboard! My husband wore long pants and a polo shirt to dinner every night but he could have gotten by very easily with shorts and t-shirts. I took a really big pair of binoculars. Didn't need them at all. They provided a decent pair. The only thing I wished I would have taken was our own snorkle gear. They ran out of my husband's size for flippers and I couldn't get my mask to stop leaking. The only thing I would suggest you NOT forget is bug spray. The biting flies were horrible at a couple of stops and we encountered mosquitos, too. We went in April.

We plan to go back again, possibly next year. It was the vacation of a lifetime.

My husband and I are booked for this cruise next May in cabin 301. Do these cabins have actual port holes or windows? The brochure states sea-view portholes and on level 4, sea-view windows. I was just wondering. Thanks

Barbara

But it is a cruise! Some people just do not understand how important it is to look their best at all times. Obviviously I will have fun, I plan on it but if I am going to enjoy myself I also would want to feel like I would any other time in my life and that is to try to look my best. If some people can't understand that then that is they're problem. I never went to camp but if had I would have still probably want to look my best. I'm not worried about what I others are concerned about, I wanted to know how possible it is to stay within the 30lb per person weight limits.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Peggy

I understand what you are saying, and I think we should all look our best. However, not having to drag anything dressy is great. I took my linen separates, and just sent them to the laundry. It is amazing how easy it was with my basic pieces, and mix and match. One woman at the end of the cruise stopped me and said "I wanted to tell you how nice you always looked on this trip".....and that was all in one carry on bag.

However, never wearing the same thing twice, excuse me, is kind of like in junior high school. No doubt you didn't mean it quite like that. I have many expensive shoes, but I have one pair of black flat skinny sandals that have been all over the world, never on a trip do they not go, and I bought they for $1 at WalMart, during a blizzard in Idaho. So, do the mix and match. I love the brand Flax, and have most of their clothing. Taking black basics, some white, and throw in a few colors, and I am good to go.

It was not a "camp" for me, but the way a vacation should be. I felt that the ship was very classy, the food outstanding, and it was CLEAN....unlike what we have recently experienced on the Summit.

What is funny, many people went all out in their "expedition/safari" clothing from Tillies, and really looked IMHO silly.

My husband and I are booked for this cruise next May in cabin 301. Do these cabins have actual port holes or windows? The brochure states sea-view portholes and on level 4, sea-view windows. I was just wondering. Thanks

Barbara

We are booked in the very same cabin starting 4-29-07, we will leave a note in the bible. Or if not bible on top of the safe. Of course have to remember this a year way. :rolleyes:

However, never wearing the same thing twice, excuse me, is kind of like in junior high school. No doubt you didn't mean it quite like that. I have many expensive shoes, but I have one pair of black flat skinny sandals that have been all over the world, never on a trip do they not go, and I bought they for $1 at WalMart, during a blizzard in Idaho. So, do the mix and match. I love the brand Flax, and have most of their clothing. Taking black basics, some white, and throw in a few colors, and I am good to go.

It was not a "camp" for me, but the way a vacation should be. I felt that the ship was very classy, the food outstanding, and it was CLEAN....unlike what we have recently experienced on the Summit.

What is funny, many people went all out in their "expedition/safari" clothing from Tillies, and really looked IMHO silly.

Excuse me!! But how is not wearing an outfit twice like high school? What on Earth are you talking about?? If you knew what I meant, what prompted such a rude comment? Making fun of other peoples safair clothes is completely uncalled for! I know a lot of people who wear Tillies and look great and it keeps the sun off their head. It's not funny at all.

Excuse me!! But how is not wearing an outfit twice like high school? What on Earth are you talking about?? If you knew what I meant, what prompted such a rude comment? Making fun of other peoples safair clothes is completely uncalled for! I know a lot of people who wear Tillies and look great and it keeps the sun off their head. It's not funny at all.

I am simply saying that you do not need all those clothes to look nice. And it wasn't a rude comment, just a statement about how we used to all have to never wear the same things twice....well, not me, but some girls had a different outfit and did not repeat for weeks.

As far as the Tillies,( I am not talking about the hats, but all the clothing that is the safari look) they have nice things, but the Galapagos is really not a Safari, just a great trip.

I was trying to give you some guidance. No one will remember what you wore after you leave. Trust me!

I don't think anyone was making fun of people clothes. This is the most casual cruise you'll experience. Wearing the same t-shirt twice is common and most people could get more then one wearing from a pair of shorts or jeans but you certainly don't have to. This was one of the best cruises I've been on because of the laid back style and the magnificance of the Galapagos islands. I'm booked on a journey to the Antartic this January on the Marco Polo and hope it's half as good as X was. X was rumored to be going to Antartic but it didn't materialise.

I am simply saying that you do not need all those clothes to look nice. And it wasn't a rude comment, just a statement about how we used to all have to never wear the same things twice....well, not me, but some girls had a different outfit and did not repeat for weeks.

As far as the Tillies,( I am not talking about the hats, but all the clothing that is the safari look) they have nice things, but the Galapagos is really not a Safari, just a great trip.

I was trying to give you some guidance. No one will remember what you wore after you leave. Trust me!

I agree that sometimes posts are misinterpreted and the spirit of your post was to be helpful. Those who have been there realize how relaxed yet exciting,carefree yet stimulating, this cruise is.

The intent is to offer guidence to those who were yet to go since it is "different" in so many ways.Clothing is unimportant and if anyone wants to overdo it...knock youself out.The experienced traveler really could care less what they are wearing there ,much less what anyone else had on.I believe you just make it easier on yourself toting and having to store less in the smaller quarters.

You'll find the other cruisers to be the most congenial ,friendly group. You'll spend more time with,and get to know many new friends,but it's really not about how you're dressed,what your job is,or how smart your grandchildren are.IT"S ABOUT THE GALAPAGOS!

I'd call them a window. They weren't a one foot diameter port hole or anything like that. They were square. Unfortunately we didn't take any pictures of the cabin. We were in 304, by the way.

drfun48

We took your advice for our upcoming trip (two weeks!!!). We took out what we thought we needed and then put a little less than half of it back. If it wasn't for all the camera paraphenalia, we could almost do this in our wheeled carryon pieces!!!! As it is we are well below one full duffle case. :D Thanks for the advice.

Archived