Renting a Car at Denali

Vols Cruiser

Can you rent a car near the park? If I take the rail to Denali and stay at the Denali Princess lodge, is there an option to rent a car for the day near the park. I would rather have a car for the day to tour the park rather than a tour, but I don't want to give up the rail service.

As I remember, and I could be wrong, you're 40 - 50 miles away from the nearest town at the Denali lodge. The park is huge. We took a 4WD Jeep tour that left from the lodge and went to the base of Mt. McKinley. We went over roads that "regular" cars wouldn't be able to and really got to see the foothills and the area. I'd highly recommend this tour. Plus, we got to drive the Jeep. :) They go in caravan style with walkie-talkies for communication and a guide talking about what we were seeing.

We were able to rent a car for the day from the daughter of a woman who works in the beauty salon at the Denali Princess lodge(!)...this was a great option for May, when the park road was open to passenger vehicles. Note that during most of the summer it is NOT possible to drive a private car any significant distance into the park itself, and this will seriously limit your chances of seeing wildlife.

Denali Car Rental owned by third generation Alaskan family. Will pick-up at depot, drops in Anchorage and Fairbanks by arrangment. Contact us at http://www.alaskanchateau.com, call 907-683-1377, fax 907-683-1380..

Owner: Teresa Chepoda-Usibelli

P.O. Box 187

Healy, AK 99743

Phone: 1-907-683-1377

Fax: 1-907-683-1380

Email: Chepoda@mtaonline.net

Http:http://www.alaskanChateau.com

BUT be aware that the Park Road is only open to mile 16 to the public, out of 90 miles. I never recomend anything less than Fish Creek mile 63 via SHUTTLE bus. Reservations are necessary. The public road is only so so scenery compared to further- highlight is Polychrome Pass- a must see.

We were able to rent a car for the day from the daughter of a woman who works in the beauty salon at the Denali Princess lodge(!)...this was a great option for May, when the park road was open to passenger vehicles. Note that during most of the summer it is NOT possible to drive a private car any significant distance into the park itself, and this will seriously limit your chances of seeing wildlife.

How far was the road open. Did you get to Toklat???

Archived