How rude can passengers be?

DarrenT

Why does it take you so long in the bathroom to get ready to go somewhere.

from

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=1006041223459

Only a woman will TRULY relate to the following, but it's fun for all!

from

http://babble.the-protagonist.com/index.php?showtopic=7440

Thank you very much for this insight. I promise I will never rush my DW in the bathroom again!

But I'm still (more) glad I'm a man, mostly because I get to to enjoy the company of the lovely people that are women.

Very good point! Why does the poster assume a beautiful woman deserves more respect than any other woman? Odd value system.

Is the assumption that she could have had her pick when she was young, but chose a lout? Meanwhile an average or below average woman might have to choose an abusive man and be grateful to have any man? If so , the poster must think men are terribly shallow and women trade on their looks. Actually, I think a man to chooses a "trophy wife" based on her looks is more likely to disrespect her.

No that wasn't what I meant at all so please don't question my value system!!

I just couldn't believe this woman of grace was so demeaned by this idiot. I don't care if you're the ugliest person alive, all men and women deserve respect, including posters in this forum!!!

I was just recreating the scene .....and the beautiful woman of grace was a detail. I don't really care who chose who and that other nonsense. The point was that this jerk was in the WOMENS BATHROOM and he didn't belong there and he was berating this woman.

Thank you very much for this insight. I promise I will never rush my DW in the bathroom again!

But I'm still (more) glad I'm a man, mostly because I get to to enjoy the company of the lovely people that are women.

Way to go DrD!!!

And, if something good came out of my comment, then, LADIES, WE NO LONGER HAVE TO RUSH IN THE BATHROOM!!! OUR WONDERFUL HUSBANDS WILL HOLD OUR SEATS WHILE WE DO OUR THING!!!

Everyone, knows we talk in there!!!!!

Well, if she obviously allows him to berate her......................

I just couldn't believe this woman of grace was so demeaned by this idiot. The point was that this jerk was in the WOMENS BATHROOM and he didn't belong there and he was berating this woman.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I encounter some sort of rudeness every day. Rudeness is everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

Especially with cell phones. I was just at the bank the other day and a woman came in talking on her cell phone, went to the teller still talking on her phone, did her transaction and left still talking on her cell phone. Never once did she say a word to the teller. I consider that rude and I see it almost every day. Its a shame that you can use cell phones on a ship now days.

Especially with cell phones. I was just at the bank the other day and a woman came in talking on her cell phone, went to the teller still talking on her phone, did her transaction and left still talking on her cell phone. Never once did she say a word to the teller. I consider that rude and I see it almost every day. Its a shame that you can use cell phones on a ship now days.

Robbing Four Banks, on the Phone All the While

from

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/10/AR2005111002009.html

The cell phone problem is universal, I'm afraid. DH and I were in Prague a couple of weeks ago eating at a lovely rooftop cafe overlooking the Old Town Square. A group of Danish women sat down at the other side of the cafe. One of the women's phone rang three times during their/our meal. She excused herself from her table and came over and screamed into her phone next to our table. I think it was even more annoying listening to "cell yell" in another language.

I had to laugh at your post because we are nearly 60 (but we must look younger) and we were heading home from a 14 night cruise. A "lady" sitting in front of us on the shuttle (from FLL to TPA) turned around to ask us how we could afford a long cruise. I smiled sweetly and told her we sold drugs :eek: If you do this with a straight face it shuts them up in a hurry. :)

Can I use that line? I love it!!!

Ron

When I saw the title of this post I thought about the cruise from "HELL" that we call it. So many rude people that I swore I would never sail from that particular port again!! After the lady took off my shoe going up the stairs and never said a word I just couldn't believe the rudeness. The pushing and shoving in the photo gallery was totally sad. As a lot of the posters have stated it is everywhere. However, we are only responsible for our own actions. I was taught to treat others as I wanted to be treated. We still open doors for people and let others go before us. We were taught our manners at home. It is a pleasure to encounter people who are nice to others and have good manners. The people that have been rude to wait staff etc. on cruises were not the younger people it was the older person who thought the world would end if they didn't get their way and NOW. I always remember my mother in law saying" it's always nice to be nice". A wise saying if only some people would apply it to daily living. It is a shame but the rude people are not posting on this board so they won't be reading how to act in public. Have a good day everyone.:)

Sounds like the bank I work in.Happens all the time while I'm waiting on a customer.The customer talks on their cell phone the whole time and never even acknoweldges that I'm there handing them their money. I always say thank you and they ignore me and take their money and keep talking on their cell phone as they leave the bank. I wonder how they would like it if I was talking on a cell phone the whole time I was waiting on them!

Back to the cruise rudeness-I see it all the time.I think some New Yorkers are the worst. Sometimes I hate to admit I'm from New York State. However some of the nicest people I've ever met (you know I mean you Nancy) are from New York City.Rudeness and friendliness can be found everywhere.

But there is no excuse for rudeness to the crew. I love getting to know them and where they are from. I love when they come running down the hall when they see you to chat with you!That makes me feel pretty special.Or when your waitress'eyes fill up with tears because you find out its her birthday and sing happy birthday to her!

Laura

No that wasn't what I meant at all so please don't question my value system!!

I just couldn't believe this woman of grace was so demeaned by this idiot. I don't care if you're the ugliest person alive, all men and women deserve respect, including posters in this forum!!!

I was just recreating the scene .....and the beautiful woman of grace was a detail. I don't really care who chose who and that other nonsense. The point was that this jerk was in the WOMENS BATHROOM and he didn't belong there and he was berating this woman.

Okay. I apologize.

For those of you who have witnessed rudeness to others (i.e. when people run over those waiting for the elevator, etc), have you ever taken it upon yourself to say something? I don't think I've encountered that level of rudness in my everyday life. Sometimes if I hold a door open for someone and they don't say thank you, I would say "You're welcome."

I have gone up to kids in my girl's class and explain to them that they do not use certain words. I told one boy last year that he should not call another child "loser."

A few weeks ago, we were in a McD's playroom. While my girl was eating mcnuggets while working on homework with her father, I noticed a boy throwing a tray up and down near the play gym. I called out to him to stop that (I was concerned that it would fly out of his hands and hit someone). He ran up into the gym to join his friends, all with trays. I can see the boy glaring at me. I waited until one of them came downstairs and I grabbed the tray out of his hand. I said that the trays are not toys and "you could have hurt a small kid." I then asked when his parents are. I looked around and no one was claiming this kid. Then his mother stormed me and yelled at me, "Don't you yell at my boy." I said that you should be watching your kid and not allow him to play with something that could hurt someone, especially little kids.

Then I went into the main restaurant area, up to the counter and asked to speak to the manager. She came with me and gathered up the trays from the boys. Then some man in the playroom said that I was overreacting. I turned to him and said that no, I was just concerned that some kid could get injured because that woman isn't supervising her kid. Then I turned my back on him. After he left, my hubby finally said that I wasn't overreacting at all. Apparently, he figured I was taking action so he wouldn't have to (he has told kids to knock off bad behavior from time to time).

That may not be rudeness, per se, but that man wasn't doing anything to stop those kids. Maybe his son was one of those misbehaving. But I sure felt good after that, taking some action. As I told my husband later on, if some little toddler gets hurt because of those trays, and a parent writes the main office of McD's, it's possible that the rooms get closed or trays are banned from the rooms, even for the intended purpose. My hubby added, that if the man's kids were the ones injured, he would have raised some h-e-l-l or sued.

We sailed in February and had a couple (40ish) next door smoking pot. After we called the purser's desk, they stopped smoking for a couple days. Once we hit Jamaica, they were at it again. The smell was actually getting into my cabin. I asked the cabin steward to stand on my balcony to show him how bad the smell really was. Manners are definetely lacking on cruiseships and everywhere else.

I have found people becoming much ruder in the last ten years. Profanity is all around--with young teenage girls the most noticeable. Several years ago, an airline stewardess told me the most polite people are from the midwest, and I agree.

I have noticed that small towns in northern New England definetely maintain traditional manners--even at McDonalds they called DH "Sir." I can't remember the last time any teen used that term here in in the land of the Puritans and Pilgrims.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

There is another kind of rudeness I've witnessed onboard.

Husband to wife, wife to husband. The sarcastic and derogatory comments they say to each other are incredible. While checking in on the pier, in the elevators onboard, while waiting to go ashore, whereever, whenever.

I doubt they would EVER talk to their friends that way.

....even at McDonalds they called DH "Sir." I can't remember the last time any teen used that term here in in the land of the Puritans and Pilgrims.

At the McDonald's here they're polite too. Only instead of saying "sir" they say "Senor". :)

Archived