Live from the Sea Princess 29th May 2006

julieh

Thank you for starting a "live from the Sea Princess" thread. I hope you'll continue to post "live" throughout the cruise. Please tell us about what you did in port, about the entertainment on board, etc. I am so sorry to hear about the Norwalk virus problems, but hopefully you are enjoying yourself in spite of it.

Joan

Philly Cruiser, no offense but you sound like a Princess rep trying to look on the brightside though I'm sure your not?

Can we find out what changes actually happen on board and how it affects everyone? Is anything closed or cancelled?

I really want to do my cruise but then again I don't won't to go on a sub standard holiday where everyones concerned about getting ill.

I'm a little perturb that Princess Customer services won't acknowledge that there is an outbreak.

Apparently because it doesn't visit any USA ports they are not required to report the outbreak to CDC.

I was on Sea Princess last week and was concerned that people were by passing the sanitation unit in The Horizon Cafe and no-one stopped them doing this. Despite my best efforts I went down with the Norovirus was very ill and at the time of writing still don't feel completely fit. I feel very sorry for anyone currently suffering from the virus and hope that the current measures being taken on the ship are successful.

I checked here http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2006.html , and so far the outbreak has not been reported. I wonder if they are just taking precautions as only a few have contracted the illness. Sometimes it does not have to be running rampant on the ship before they go out of their way to keep it under control?

On the Diamond, Mexican Riviera round trip San Pedro, there were 65 people who came down with the virus and it was not reported.

After the 2nd day they did put the precautions in place. All of the mentioned things about the Horizon Court were put in place. The public restroom doors were left open - all were advised only to use them if they couldn't make it back to their cabins. They continually were wiping down railings and the elevators. The ships do "go out of their way to keep it under control".

Rather than accuse the ship of not sanitizing properly I would look at the passangers who bring this on the ship with them. Unfortunately some people don't stay in their cabins and self treat themselves. Yes, they do ask if you are ill when boarding but who would admit that. Yes, they do ask that you report to the medical center if ill but how many opt to self treat and avoid missing ports and being kept in their cabin for days on a restricted diet. Many of these people spread the virus by doing this. Are they in the majority? No but can contribute to negating the sanitizing efforts of the crew.

Because of self treating there is no way that the crew know for sure how many have come down with the virus.

Savaman - you could be right. I doubt it has to report to CDC because no US ports are involved. I heard a Celebrity ship had a lot of people ill but it was on a route with out a US port and it was never on CDC's website.

We have been informed by the Captain that the virus hasn't been contained and they have cancelled stop in Lisbon and are returning to Southampton for intensive sanitaization. We now arrive in Southampton Friday am instead of Sat am. As this was only a 7 day cruise this is so depressing.

The atmosphere on board was very subdued. One couple were on board for their golden wedding on Friday with all their family and now will be off the ship for their special day.

Can't fault the Captain and crew they have worked so hard. We just don't want to go home!

Julie

Does anyone know how they sanitize a ship after a virus outbreak? How does it differ from cleaning it on a daily basis and between cruises? (I've added Lysol, sanitizing wipes and waterless hand cleaner to my packing list!)

We have been informed by the Captain that the virus hasn't been contained and they have cancelled stop in Lisbon and are returning to Southampton for intensive sanitaization. We now arrive in Southampton Friday am instead of Sat am. As this was only a 7 day cruise this is so depressing.

The atmosphere on board was very subdued. One couple were on board for their golden wedding on Friday with all their family and now will be off the ship for their special day.

Can't fault the Captain and crew they have worked so hard. We just don't want to go home!

Julie

Princess Customere Services will tell you that the Sea Princess is not coming in early and that there was only a minor outbreak of the virus. Also that no ports were missed on the current cruise.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17151541&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=stomach-bug-halts-liner-no2--name_page.html

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

The following reports are now online, and Princess have admitted to me on the telephone this morning there is a problem, and will keep us updated. We are due to leave on Saturday.....Good luck to you onboard, I hope you do not get sick on the way home...Sorry your holiday was cut short...:(

Kerry and Danny

Please let us know if you are still sailing as scheduled. If so bring some hand gel and anti bacterial wipes with you. We have done this and stayed well

Julie

Kerry & Danny and/or anyone sailing next week,

Would appreciate it if you kept us updated during your cruise as to what's happening. Hope they get the ship sanitized and clear up this virus.

Kerry and Danny

Please let us know if you are still sailing as scheduled. If so bring some hand gel and anti bacterial wipes with you. We have done this and stayed well

Julie

Unfortunately antibacterial wipes don't work, except for hand cleaning when water is not available. Norwalk is a virus, not bacteria. You need an anti-viral anticeptic, and antibacterial washes are merely sanitizers with no tested anticeptic qualities.

If your interested in an anti-viral that has been clinically tested to kill Norwalk, you might want to read the clinical studies on this: http://www.antisepticausa.com/.

Archived