welcome back Cavier gal!

momofmeg

Oh geez, you just had to ask, didn't you? :D Well, now I'm looking at the Noordam Southern Caribbean out of NY. See, I told you I didn't have a clue! ;) My inlaws are currently on a 25 day Baltics cruise on HAL. They love the line, but their tastes are very different from ours.

Maybe I should just concentrate on our September cruise and call it a day, huh? :)

Please let us know what you decide!:)

Esther

An ounce of caviar and an ice cold glass of French Champagne sound really good to me right now :)

Alas, all we have in the fridge is a couple bottles of beer...I hate beer. I suppose I'll just have to use my imagination, see if there is a can of ginger ale and some tuna in the cupboard :rolleyes:

Oh geez, you just had to ask, didn't you? :D Well, now I'm looking at the Noordam Southern Caribbean out of NY. See, I told you I didn't have a clue! ;) My inlaws are currently on a 25 day Baltics cruise on HAL. They love the line, but their tastes are very different from ours.

Maybe I should just concentrate on our September cruise and call it a day, huh? :)

I was just on HAL after not being on their ships for many years (senior crowd in the old days).

I still would suggest you stick to Connie for dining room food and service and nightlife options.

Beds are awesome on HAL and the service was excellent except in the dining room. But is definitely low key and I think if you like RCI, X is the best step up for you.

MrsMoose, DF and I had a lovely weekend together overall. We both love the sea so were in the water most of the daylight hours. Our jet ski trip was fabulous! And we spent the entire day at an All Inclusive in Nassau, as we normally do. It is private and you have to pay to get in but it is all adult and the facilities are wonderful!

So, yes, cruise itself in terms of ship, cabin, service were a 5 or 6 in my book but as water and beach people, that alone was worth it!

Glad to hear that you had at least some fun times, I take it you went with your fiance? I don't know how to swim, but I have done the jet skiis a few times with a life preserver and DH close by on another one or we were on one together, and I love those. They are loads of fun.

I didn't realize they let you into Sandels (even for a fee), for just a day, I thought you had to stay there to use the facilities. I'll have to remember that to tell that to some friends who cruise the carribbean so that they know.

I've been reading your comments and I agree with you, I love caviar and that was one of the better parts of my cruise was having caviar every evening with our cocktails (DH gets sick on champagne so we have it with vodka).

I read some of the other comments and I can see why a "specialty burger" would be required, the burgers on Raddisson were awful in my opinion, the fries were horrid, undercooked and cold. I ordered a sandwich (a cuban sandwich) which is supposed to have melted cheese and it had cheesewiz as the "melted cheese" or something like that awful proccessed junk. It was really bad I just had one bite and left the whole thing.

I don't drink coffee only tea so can't comment if the coffee was great, I think DH said it was "ok". We never went to the dining room for breakfast it was always room service and I must say I was disappointed, it was most times cold or lukewarm at best. Eggs were generally overcooked.

The scones at hight tea were the some of the best. If only they would have served them for breakfast.

I had read so much beforehand about how good the food is and I was totally disappointed but I should have known to expect it, it is still "mass produced" if cooking for 700 people (plus crew probably). Just my opinion.

May I ask a question please? Since I only had one cruise, and there were basically no "extra charge restaurants", 4 restos, but all included, do you think the "fee" restos are there because they are smaller? People want a smaller more intimate dining experience?

We had the "big main dining room", plus 3 smaller ones, I can say that while I didn't think the food to be better in the smaller ones, the smaller restos were more pleasant overall.

Thanks for the tips. Haven't been on RCI, yet. ;)

Now, back to welcoming you back!

I was just on HAL after not being on their ships for many years (senior crowd in the old days).

I still would suggest you stick to Connie for dining room food and service and nightlife options.

Beds are awesome on HAL and the service was excellent except in the dining room. But is definitely low key and I think if you like RCI, X is the best step up for you.

Glad to hear that you had at least some fun times, I take it you went with your fiance? I don't know how to swim, but I have done the jet skiis a few times with a life preserver and DH close by on another one or we were on one together, and I love those. They are loads of fun.

I didn't realize they let you into Sandels (even for a fee), for just a day, I thought you had to stay there to use the facilities. I'll have to remember that to tell that to some friends who cruise the carribbean so that they know.

I've been reading your comments and I agree with you, I love caviar and that was one of the better parts of my cruise was having caviar every evening with our cocktails (DH gets sick on champagne so we have it with vodka).

I read some of the other comments and I can see why a "specialty burger" would be required, the burgers on Raddisson were awful in my opinion, the fries were horrid, undercooked and cold. I ordered a sandwich (a cuban sandwich) which is supposed to have melted cheese and it had cheesewiz as the "melted cheese" or something like that awful proccessed junk. It was really bad I just had one bite and left the whole thing.

I had read so much beforehand about how good the food is and I was totally disappointed but I should have known to expect it, it is still "mass produced" if cooking for 700 people (plus crew probably). Just my opinion.

May I ask a question please? Since I only had one cruise, and there were basically no "extra charge restaurants", 4 restos, but all included, do you think the "fee" restos are there because they are smaller? People want a smaller more intimate dining experience?

We had the "big main dining room", plus 3 smaller ones, I can say that while I didn't think the food to be better in the smaller ones, the smaller restos were more pleasant overall.

Hi MrsMoose, yes I went with my fiance so we enjoyed just spending time together.

I like the specialty restaurants when travelling on the bigger ships because there are definitely more intimate, no kids are allowed, food and service is better and often the wine list is upgraded.

Re Sandals, it is $100 per person for a day pass at most of their resorts. It is worth it for us in some islands because of the private beaches, no kids, water sports and just because it is a nice refuge from the tourist hordes who swarm the ports when there are too many ships in port. If your friends need some info, put them in touch as I have been to most of the Sandals properties and can quite possibly give them more info. There are other all inclusives that offer the same type of day passes as well.

Hi MrsMoose, yes I went with my fiance so we enjoyed just spending time together.

I like the specialty restaurants when travelling on the bigger ships because there are definitely more intimate, no kids are allowed, food and service is better and often the wine list is upgraded.

Re Sandals, it is $100 per person for a day pass at most of their resorts. It is worth it for us in some islands because of the private beaches, no kids, water sports and just because it is a nice refuge from the tourist hordes who swarm the ports when there are too many ships in port. If your friends need some info, put them in touch as I have been to most of the Sandals properties and can quite possibly give them more info. There are other all inclusives that offer the same type of day passes as well.

Hi CaviaGal, I'm so happy you and your fiance had some good quality time together.

That's what I thought about the specialty restos, thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I will tell my friends. I know some of them will be happy just knowing they can do a day pass to Sandels etc as they mentioned the same things you did. Thanks for the offer, will tell them and if they ask to many questions I will put them in touch, but I think just knowing for them will be more than enough info.

OT I took your advice on the "plumbing fixtures" Plumber is here now installing the new facuts in kitchen and bathroom, actually kitchen is done and he is doing new sink and facets in bathroom, we went with Crane sink and the facets for kitchen and bathroom is Kholer (sp?). Thanks for the tips. So far the kitchen one (finished) looks great.

This will complete the last of the "real work" on the rennovations. Finally !!!

Caviergal I wanted to ask you something about the Royal rewards past guest program-how does it improve after 5 cruises?

I was asking because we plan a summer cruise on the Jewel next summer and I thought if it helped alot maybe we would squeeze in a Sovereign cruise before then. So far we have done 3 Royal Caribbean cruises.

Caviergal I wanted to ask you something about the Royal rewards past guest program-how does it improve after 5 cruises?

I was asking because we plan a summer cruise on the Jewel next summer and I thought if it helped alot maybe we would squeeze in a Sovereign cruise before then. So far we have done 3 Royal Caribbean cruises.

Momofmeg, they do a repeaters party for Platinum (after 5 cruises) and Diamond (after 10). Also the coupon books are a little better. Otherwise, not much difference.

Have you set up your online C&A account? I would as they are now posting coupons and discounts on line.

But the really good stuff starts after 10 cruises :) so you have some cruising to do :D to get there.

I am sure you will enjoy Jewel very much; Radiance class ships are really beautiful !

Momofmeg, they do a repeaters party for Platinum (after 5 cruises) and Diamond (after 10). Also the coupon books are a little better. Otherwise, not much difference.

Have you set up your online C&A account? I would as they are now posting coupons and discounts on line.

But the really good stuff starts after 10 cruises :) so you have some cruising to do :D to get there.

I am sure you will enjoy Jewel very much; Radiance class ships are really beautiful !

I amnot sure about that but we have a RC #. Our TA said if a discount coupon came out on our cruise between now and final payment that it would be accepted. Royal Caribbean sends us those booklets like every 3 months or so.

I did feel the discount coupons were nice-you know the 2 for one drinks and ofcourse hubby had to use alll the internet ones we had-he used mine too-for that stupid fanasty football thing he plays every fall.

I like the internet too, obviously as much as I am here; but I can do without it on a cruise as then I have other interests. You know, like enjoying the cruise instead of talking about cruising! Hubby can't stay away and visits an internet cafe in every port.

Archived