welcome back Cavier gal!

momofmeg

Sovereign looks pretty good for a 19 year old ship and for the most part, I liked the changes.

I missed the Champagne Bar - it was my favorite spot on the ship - which is now the conference center. And the beautiful library is no more.

In bringer her in line to the new RCI format, she lost some of her elegance which has been compromised by Ben and Jerry,s Seattle's Best Coffee and the other shopping mall ala cate stuff.

We had a comfortable Jr SUite on Deck 9, unforunately directly under the pool so we were awakened for a couple of hours in the middle of the night 2 of three nights when they were cleaning and moving pool chairs.

Same friendly staff and crew, pretty new dining rooms, food was ok as was service. We had an obnoxious group next to us who was incredibly demanding and rude to the wait staff and it really compromised the service for the rest of his station.

I forgot how party hearty the 3 nighters are and could have done without the large contingent of drunk 20 somethings who felt it was cool to smoke and drink on the dance floor. RCI really was good about making announcements to get them off but it would last five minutes and there they were again. It caused us to leave the nightclub and not return.

On CocoCay we rented jet skis and had a fun day. There were two ships in so the island was mobbed.

Nassua is Nassau and not my favorite spot so we went to Sandals for the day and had a great time.

All in all, a good cruise but no more weekend cruises for me.

Interesting that on Formal night, most everyone was all dressed up and looked great! LOts of long dresses, a few tuxes, many dark suits on the gents. The young girls went all out as did many of the young men. THere were only a handful of unironed cargo pants paired with worn out Ts. One guy was outiftted as so and I saw him taking pictures with his girlfriend who looked adorable in a cranberry colored cocktail dress. He looked like an idiot.

I much prefer longer cruises with a different crowd.

Welcome Home Caviargal, sounds like it was just an "ok trip" for which I'm sorry, but happy to hear you had some good times as well.

MrsMoose, DF and I had a lovely weekend together overall. We both love the sea so were in the water most of the daylight hours. Our jet ski trip was fabulous! And we spent the entire day at an All Inclusive in Nassau, as we normally do. It is private and you have to pay to get in but it is all adult and the facilities are wonderful!

So, yes, cruise itself in terms of ship, cabin, service were a 5 or 6 in my book but as water and beach people, that alone was worth it!

Welcome home Caviargal,

Glad you had some fun times with your friend.

With Ben & Jerry's and Seattle Coffee.....are you saying that the ship now *sells* ice cream and coffee? I hope not!

Ship as a Mall - not my kind of experience, so thanks for the warning. Which line is Soverign...RCI?

Yes I felt that about my 3 night cruise too-the 4 night cruise was entirely differant. It was almost like in PAX's personalities-two entirely differant cruises.

She sounds pretty good to me though-so hopefully Sovereign will be around for awhile.

As our daughter can't take off from work for the week of the CP-it looks like she may not go with us on our CP cruise-so we may take her on a Sovereign one.

Did you see the movie Posiedon? I had posted a thread about it but it was removed. I was just wondering if anyone thought the atruim on the ship (pre-disaster) looked like a voyager class ship-it sure reminded me of Mariner of the Seas.

Ofcourse AFTER the disaster when they were climbing across that atruim-it looked more the distance of the Empire State Building than a ship's atruim! That's Hollywood for you-got to make it even more scary-as if falling 9 stories would not kill you!

Welcome home Caviargal,

Glad you had some fun times with your friend.

With Ben & Jerry's and Seattle Coffee.....are you saying that the ship now *sells* ice cream and coffee? I hope not!

Ship as a Mall - not my kind of experience, so thanks for the warning. Which line is Soverign...RCI?

Hi Jane. Yes, she is an RCI ship. In her "day" she was a stunner! Now, she has aged gracefully but they are trying to force her into the new RCI mold.

Yup, most of the main stream lines have added have extra charge coffee bars, and RCI has Ben and Jerrys and Johnny Rockets on board as well. Welcome to the nickel and dime era of mass market cruising! One of the major turn offs IMHO.

The new mega liners - like Freedom of the Seas that I was on very recently - are most definitely mall at sea married with Vegas hotel at sea. Unless you walkded outside you would not know you were on a ship.

People are so excited about this monsters and all I want is small and personal. Guess I am getting old :o.

Caviargal, It's the sister ship to Monarch out here and I can completely relate to what you write. I've only been on the 3 night/weekend cruise once and it was a different world from the 4 night. Except, the majority of people on our 3 nighter looked like the guy in the cargo pants on our formal night!

But, we had a very fun time and it was because of the people we were with. The staff onboard were great, the food OK, we've all been there, done that, so the weekend was about friends having fun together.

I'd not recommend either the 3 or 4 night cruises to people who have to fly, or drive more than a few hours. Unless you were to add it to a So Cal vacation, like a few days at Disney. It's just not worth it in comparison to a 7 night or longer cruise. But, for the short market, a fun cruise.

Keeping this along the lines of fashion, it seems so odd to me that men will dress down so much when their women are looking good. I believe that all the resistance to formal night is coming from the men, not the women. I'm happy to state that my DH lets me take the lead when it comes to dress code, he'll go along with what I desire. He doesn't think it's any more of a hassle (for him) to wear a nice pair of slacks and dress shirt for casual nights, or a suit for formal nights than any other choice of clothing.

I would be the first to ditch the formal nights, especially on these short cruises. But, I'd want to replace them with country club casual, or semi formal. Am I alone in thinking that when you are in an elegant restaurant, nice clothing is more appropriate? Jeans and shorts have their place, too, but just not there in the dining rooms, not even on casual nights.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that you had fun and I agree, I would not be crazy to do another local 3 nighter!

Kim

Our first cruises were on RCI (not I at the time) and were wonderful. We were in the Norwegian Fjords on Splendor and it was a lovely ship. Until they got too big... Fully agree with you about the classiness of the older ships. Never would consider one of the monsters of today!!!:eek: We would rather stay home than be on a ship we weren't happy with. Hence, Oceania, Radisson (now Regent) and Celebrity, with HAL coming up in the rear are on our list of where we want to be. As far as Crystal, we don't want to pay premium prices for 2 seatings. Seabourne and Seven Seas are all inclusive with drinks, and we don't drink enough to make it worth the extra money. At this point in our lives the itinerary isn't #1==the ship and cabin is. Welcome home!!!:)

Esther

Kim

Our first cruises were on RCI (not I at the time) and were wonderful. We were in the Norwegian Fjords on Splendor and it was a lovely ship. Until they got too big... Fully agree with you about the classiness of the older ships. Never would consider one of the monsters of today!!!:eek: We would rather stay home than be on a ship we weren't happy with. Hence, Oceania, Radisson (now Regent) and Celebrity, with HAL coming up in the rear are on our list of where we want to be. As far as Crystal, we don't want to pay premium prices for 2 seatings. Seabourne and Seven Seas are all inclusive with drinks, and we don't drink enough to make it worth the extra money. At this point in our lives the itinerary isn't #1==the ship and cabin is. Welcome home!!!:)

Esther

Hi Esther:)

I agree that the ship is a priority. I only care about itineraries when I am cruising somewhere exotic like the Baltics and even then would not do so on a big ship.

I have to say I could not wait to get off the Freedom of the Seas. It certainly is beautiful - there is a huge wall mural done entirely in Murano glass - but it did not all all feel like a ship, nor even look like one. The Promenade, which the big ship fans rave about - is a food court/shopping mall with no views of the sea and, frankly, the shopping is pretty low end. It really seems to me they want to give Disney a run for their money.

Yes, I am hoping to enjoy a Regent or Oceania cruise one of these days.

Meanwhile, I have another 3 night (one of my group cruises) to get through and already dread the drunks and the tenders.

I actually had to witness some guy stagger up to a garbage can on the beach at CoCoCay and throw up for all the world to see. This was before noon.:confused:

And crude language was pervasive. I felt bad for some of the parents with young kids as the teens and young adults peppered every sentence with the F word.

Nothing like a pretty young girl staggering around drunk with a cigarette dangling out of her mouth cursing up a blue streak.:cool:

Yup, most of the main stream lines have added have extra charge coffee bars, and RCI has Ben and Jerrys and Johnny Rockets on board as well. Welcome to the nickel and dime era of mass market cruising! One of the major turn offs IMHO.

What a turn-off indeed! When we were on our Princess cruise, I was told that there had been an upscale ice cream stand (B&J or HaagenDaz) and people just refused to buy so they got rid of it. The power of the pocket.

I know some ships charge extra for espresso/cappuccino, but I'd hate to see the ship's everyday coffee - which often isn't good - sink to even lower standards just so people go and pay $4.00 for a cup of Starbucks.

But Johnny Rockets? That's a burger and fries diner. Why would anyone go there when they can get a burger poolside?

I think that this a la carte cruising is a very bad trend and when I go on a ship, I don't support it. (of course, I'll buy drinks and enjoy a ship with a caviar bar that pax pay for, but that's different)

I have to say I could not wait to get off the Freedom of the Seas. It certainly is beautiful - there is a huge wall mural done entirely in Murano glass - but it did not all all feel like a ship, nor even look like one. The Promenade, which the big ship fans rave about - is a food court/shopping mall with no views of the sea and, frankly, the shopping is pretty low end. It really seems to me they want to give Disney a run for their money.

Ahhh... catering to the LCD! Sad, really sad.

I actually had to witness some guy stagger up to a garbage can on the beach at CoCoCay and throw up for all the world to see. This was before noon.:confused:

And crude language was pervasive. I felt bad for some of the parents with young kids as the teens and young adults peppered every sentence with the F word.

Nothing like a pretty young girl staggering around drunk with a cigarette dangling out of her mouth cursing up a blue streak.:cool:

Once again proving that anyone can take a cruise! :(

Sorry, this is almost OT, but...

Hi,caviargal....welcome back!

Oh, lovely, nothing like vomit and foul mouth to make a cruise, right? I agree...who wants to be on a ship that devotes its' decor to making you feel as though you're in an interior space, especially a mall of all things. Too bad.

Hi...I see you've sailed on RCI numerous times. I've never sailed RCI, but am considering the Grandeur next September for a Canada/New England cruise. Have you sailed Granduer? If so, recently? I'm concerned about the reviews and comments, but I understand that RCI is doing the fleetwide new bedding and has been adding/reupholstering furniture, etc. Grandeur is in drydock for two weeks in March/April 2007, so....

I live 10 minutes from the Baltimore port. Is Grandeur a good pick? (I actually have aft JS 7150 on hold) Thanks so much! :D

btw...Back on topic...glad to hear about the formal attire. That's always a plus. ;)

I agree that the ship is a priority.

Caviergal I would love to see the mass markete bring out some small new ships that had lots of balconies that were not in suites.

I flip flop on that becuase I really love the smaller ships but I love the balconies too-I hate though when the bigger ships being so congested.

I know many complain about paying etra for things like coffee-but I don't mind if it is somewhere like the Cova Cafe on the Zenith. Every afternoon there was a trio that played there. We would go there before dinner, I would have a latte and hubby would have usually an alcoholic pre dinner drink.

We loved it that there we could have either.

As far as Hodgen Doz (Princess ) or Ben and Jerry's (Royal Caribbean)-I never buy that anyway-not because of the cost but becuase the stuff is so rich-if I get ice cream I just get a little of the self serve that is no extra cost. Even if they charged for the less rich ice cream I would pick that!

I did enjoy Johnny Rockets on the MOS but it is NOT a place I can eat often-all the wrong foods! Although they did wrap my burger in lettuce leaves instead of a bun. still though they brought the onion rings without my asking for them and I ate a couple-could not resist them-and that was NOT good for my blood sugar! So I would just well not to go there!

Besides we have that in our local mall-nothing special about that-all it is really is a glorified Mac Donalds.

I do really like the specialty restuarants. I like the fact that we have that option. I do not mind the extra fee. One thing though on the Zenith, which did not have the specialty restuarants, they had very good steaks in the main dinningroom,along with wonderful salads and veggies-every bit as good as Chops to me. So I felt Zenith's food was superior to MOS.

I know some ships charge extra for espresso/cappuccino, but I'd hate to see the ship's everyday coffee - which often isn't good - sink to even lower standards just so people go and pay $4.00 for a cup of Starbucks.

But Johnny Rockets? That's a burger and fries diner. Why would anyone go there when they can get a burger poolside?

I think that this a la carte cruising is a very bad trend and when I go on a ship, I don't support it. (of course, I'll buy drinks and enjoy a ship with a caviar bar that pax pay for, but that's different)

I think the quality of free coffee has gone down hill. Some of them use the liquid stuff that you add water to; YUCK! It forces those of us who like a good cup to pay for it.

The Johnny Rockets thing is another indication that RCI is marketing to families full speed ahead. The kiddies apparently love this stuff! I have not eaten a buger in 30 years so have no clue as to the appeal.:)

I really dislike ala carte cruising as well. One of my treats on a cruise is to indulge in an ounce of caviar every evening. Imagine my disappointment when I headed straighaway to the Champagne Bar (the location where caviar is available) and found it gone and the extra space used for a conference room. They had room to add a SBC coffee and pay for ice cream (yes, there was still free softserve on deck) and took away the classiest room on the ship!

Oh, lovely, nothing like vomit and foul mouth to make a cruise, right? I agree...who wants to be on a ship that devotes its' decor to making you feel as though you're in an interior space, especially a mall of all things. Too bad.

Hi...I see you've sailed on RCI numerous times. I've never sailed RCI, but am considering the Grandeur next September for a Canada/New England cruise. Have you sailed Granduer? If so, recently? I'm concerned about the reviews and comments, but I understand that RCI is doing the fleetwide new bedding and has been adding/reupholstering furniture, etc. Grandeur is in drydock for two weeks in March/April 2007, so....

I live 10 minutes from the Baltimore port. Is Grandeur a good pick? (I actually have aft JS 7150 on hold) Thanks so much! :D

btw...Back on topic...glad to hear about the formal attire. That's always a plus. ;)

Hi Madelinerose.

The new bedding is a huge improvement and I liked Granduer in general but it has been 6-7 years since I was aboard. I know the aft balconies are my favorite cabins on any ship so that is a big plus!

I understand the home port advantage and wish I could give you a more current review of Granduer. IME, RCI generally takes good care of their ships. If you do not need all the bells and whistles and have the JS at a good price - and you like the itinerary, which I think is delightful :D - I would sail her IF she was a good value. I think some of the bad reviews come from those who prefer the ice rink and other so called amenities of Voyager class so I would take those with a grain of salt. I like that particular class of ship myself as you still really know you are on a ship!:)

For my money, Radiance class is the best of the fleet but I know there are none out of Baltimore.

Caviergal my friends went on Granduer of the Seas this past winter, they have only done voyager class before and they hated it-they said the food was not good at all.

One of these women was with us on MOS last fall and she felt the food there was good-which I didn't except for Chops.

She does not ice skate or rock climb. I felt it was because she was on an older ship and had never been on an older ship. she was used the new glizzy look of the voyager class ships.

so you like caiver? hense the name I guess. I never liked that or escargot!!

I saw on America's Funniest Home Videos where this little boy ate one on a cruise on a dare from his uncle-he was really funny-he acted like he was choking to death! I figured I would be the same way!

Maybe I am a little silly but I don't care how much a delicacy certain things are-I still do not want or like them! Just give me the fillet mignon!

Caviergal my friends went on Granduer of the Seas this past winter, they have only done voyager class before and they hated it-they said the food was not good at all.

One of these women was with us on MOS last fall and she felt the food there was good-which I didn't except for Chops.

She does not ice skate or rock climb. I felt it was because she was on an older ship and had never been on an older ship. she was used the new glizzy look of the voyager class ships.

so you like caiver? hense the name I guess. I never liked that or escargot!!

Yes, I LOVE caviar and was really disappointed not to have this available any longer.

I agree that fans of the new and glitzy ships would not be the same as those who like the older vessels. That is why I am always interested in a posters cruising experience when I read a review.

The only two RCI ships IME that had really awful food were Vision and Voyager. I think it depends on how picky you are as the menus are the same fleetwide but the preparation obviously can differ widely.

It really is a crapshoot as well as a matter of personal taste.

Last Sept. we were on Celebrity Constellation r/t Bayonne to Canada/New England. Beautiful ship, nice class of people and really good food. Can't recommend it enough. Is that too far a drive for you?

Thanks a million!

Yes, I've seen many many pics of the Jewel and she's an absolutely gorgeous ship. My brother loved the Serenade.

See that's the thing with the Grandeur...I have a price of almost $3500 (2 pax) for the JS, but my 9-day on the brand new Crown Princess in a mini-suite this September is much less, so.....I'm still deciding. I've been finding RCI's prices sort of high lately. Oh, and I would get obc or free insurance, etc. through the TA.

Who knows? I do all the vacation planning and then tell DH about it. Maybe I'm doing a little too much research. LOL!

Your input means a lot.

Karen

Baltimore

Hi Madelinerose.

The new bedding is a huge improvement and I liked Granduer in general but it has been 6-7 years since I was aboard. I know the aft balconies are my favorite cabins on any ship so that is a big plus!

I understand the home port advantage and wish I could give you a more current review of Granduer. IME, RCI generally takes good care of their ships. If you do not need all the bells and whistles and have the JS at a good price - and you like the itinerary, which I think is delightful :D - I would sail her IF she was a good value. I think some of the bad reviews come from those who prefer the ice rink and other so called amenities of Voyager class so I would take those with a grain of salt. I like that particular class of ship myself as you still really know you are on a ship!:)

For my money, Radiance class is the best of the fleet but I know there are none out of Baltimore.

Hi, esther....No not too far a drive at all. Celebrity also offers bus service from Washington, DC up to Boston, I believe, to Bayonne. We'd probably use Amtrak. Flying to Newark wouldn't make sense for us. Amtrak is much easier and much more direct.

Actually, the Constellation is another option. LOL!!! Can you tell I don't know what in the h*** I want? Thanks, esther. It just may be the Connie;).

Last Sept. we were on Celebrity Constellation r/t Bayonne to Canada/New England. Beautiful ship, nice class of people and really good food. Can't recommend it enough. Is that too far a drive for you?

Hi, esther....No not too far a drive at all. Celebrity also offers bus service from Washington, DC up to Boston, I believe, to Bayonne. We'd probably use Amtrak. Flying to Newark wouldn't make sense for us. Amtrak is much easier and much more direct.

Actually, the Constellation is another option. LOL!!! Can you tell I don't know what in the h*** I want? Thanks, esther. It just may be the Connie;).

Esther makes a great suggestion and I really like M class ships on Celebrity.

I would settle for a balcony on Connie over a JS on Granduer.

Archived