Anyone here ever complain about the noise

Quads are everywhere. This is always the risk you take with a guarantee, you have no control where you are placed. Also, Mr and Mrs Load Family may have booked guarantee as well. If you value your piece and quiet, get an assigned cabin, on one of the higher decks.

Most families I know book an assigned cabin... and unless they are booking seperate cabins for the kids, they normaly book a suite. We used to do this when the kids were younger - now we just book two balconies with connecting door.

Thinking you can get away from kids by booking a more expensive cabin is flawed. Families spend a lot of money on vacations - We have never booked low or inside and always have families around us.

I would worry more about the cabin next door with two or three teenagers down the hall from their parents.

BTW - I also think the OP should have found another vacation destination. A parent should be a parent, not come up with excuses for annoying the rest of the world.

I am a TA, and I get lots of feedback from other TA's and my customers as well. Based on that feedback, some cruises that I've been on with other travel professionals, as well as my own private cruises, I have put together a general philosophy:

--In general, children under a certain age simply do not belong on a cruise--ANY cruise--on ANY line. I know, I know, there are plenty of you out there who have taken your infants in swaddling clothes to tiny tots to youngsters, and have had no problems whatsoever. However, it's undeniable that kids under that magic age, whatever that may be, are simply out of their element on a cruise vessel.

--Many travelers believe that children have all of the same "rights and privileges" that apply to adults. Simply is not true, regardless of the fact that their fare is paid. When the expenses connected with cruising are considered, using the environment applicable to a cruise itinerary as a 'learning venue' is definitely the wrong approach.

--Young kids basically cannot be responsible for their actions. Many parents simply are lousy parents. The rest of the passengers should not be susceptible to either of those very real circumstances.

--Older kids (tweens/teens), as well as adults can be a source of disruption. However dealing with them is a lot more realistic than trying to 'just deal' with problems/situations caused by the very young. Complete different set of circumstances. If you've got a loud, obnoxious, disruptive little one, what do you expect the cruise line to do, evict the entire family?

For simplicity sake, not to mention peace of mind, I try to steer my customers who have concerns in this area away from the lines that will go out of their way to cater to anyone and everyone. It's strictly their choice, but I want them to get a feel for what they're in for based on their selection.

...not a kid hater, but like so many other things there's a time and place for everything.

Smooth seas and warm breezes to all:) :)

I agree. We did not start cruising as a family until 1998 when the boys were in the 6 and 8ish range. They did well and have loved cruising since then.

The bottom line is that my boys have always been expected to behave at home...so when we travel, they know the same rules apply. It still amazes me at the number of parents (in complete denial) that raise uncontrolled tots at home and then expect them to be perfect angels in a hotel or on a cruise ship. Ain't gonna happen!

2 and 7... they needed an adult in that room with them....

Disney- I agree. That is where the kids need to be if they cannot behave like kids should.

I think if a kid isn't behaving like a kid should behave they belong at home! I certainly wouldn't reward my child with a cruise (Carnival or Disney) if they wouldn't behave good for me at home!

Our first cruise is this winter. My daughter will be 6. Up until last year we rented a beach house on the Jersey Shore for a week every summer. Not because she was a bad kid - she is actually very good! Because she was just too young. And I wanted to enjoy myself as well. If you travel with a baby you are at their mercy! A small cruise cabin with a young baby does not sound like a vacation to me!!!

There are good kids and bad kids, good adults and bad adults, good families and bad families to get stuck next to (either on a cruise or in a hotel or in a restraunt, or where ever).

There are no hard and fast rules as to when a child is "of age" to cruise, or to dine out, or whatever.

We've never encountered any issues with loud children next to us, but we have had screamers (people who needed to find their "inside" voices), we've had four adult chain smokers crammed into the room next to ours and it really did permeate the walls (the ONE time we cruised w/o a balacony cabin when I was actually HAPPY about it!).

There are incosiderate people where ever you go. There are probably some people out there who some quirk of yours bothers. So be aware of others around you and be considerate of them - you may be a bit slow walking down the corridor, let faster traffic by with a smile, you may be waiting for something in the buffet line, tell those behind you to please feel free to 'play by', you may be a early riser (or a night owl) so be quiet in the corridors when those on the other end of the spectrum may be sleeping. Look for ways to make other people's cruises more enjoyable - if enough of us do it we'll all be recipeints of another's good will and/or consideration. Don't sweat the boors out there, they will always be with us - if YOU let them ruin your vacation, it is YOUR fault.

I have a 31/2 year old granddaughter her parents took her to the state golf tournment where her brother was playing(don't have anything to do with this but they won state proud g-mom)She was told she had to be quiet.She was great but her 2 g-moms took her back to the hotel after 9 holes,and let her swim.You have to teach them how to behave,BUT DON'T ASK TO MUCH.the next day g-moms made last 9 holes . t The same with a cruise you have to teach them how to behave.When they do make sure to do something they enjoy.

There are no hard and fast rules as to when a child is "of age" to cruise, or to dine out, or whatever.

I totally agree. There is no magic age when a child is ready for things. What is more important is the parent's ability/willingness to adjust to the child. So often, the child is brought along, because this is what the parents want to do.

I've got 6 children. (and learned/still learning alot from them) There was one that I would not have cruised...or even stayed in a hotel with until he was well over 3. He just couldn't sleep in a strange bed, didn't adjust to time changes well, didn't like new things. But I have another that as long as mom was there, he was a dream. I could have taken him on a cruise at anytime, he didn't cry, and was very pleasant.

But parents don't want to see this. They know their child has trouble adapting. They know their child is hyper and cannot sit still for long. They know their child. But they still have THEIR wants. And I'm one that believes parents needs come way after the child's needs, especially in something as trivial as a vacation.

I totally agree. There is no magic age when a child is ready for things. What is more important is the parent's ability/willingness to adjust to the child. So often, the child is brought along, because this is what the parents want to do.

I've got 6 children. (and learned/still learning alot from them) There was one that I would not have cruised...or even stayed in a hotel with until he was well over 3. He just couldn't sleep in a strange bed, didn't adjust to time changes well, didn't like new things. But I have another that as long as mom was there, he was a dream. I could have taken him on a cruise at anytime, he didn't cry, and was very pleasant.

But parents don't want to see this. They know their child has trouble adapting. They know their child is hyper and cannot sit still for long. They know their child. But they still have THEIR wants. And I'm one that believes parents needs come way after the child's needs, especially in something as trivial as a vacation.

For sure there's no "magic" age. And I completely agree with your last statement about parents and THEIR wants.

These are precisely insightful reasons why I came up with the general cruise philosophy that I did.

You simply CAN'T rely on the majority of parents to exercise prudent judgment relative to the expected behavior of their kids--especially the little ones. First of all, their viewpoint is often jaded in that they consider their child (children) to have no behavior problems/issues whatsoever. Secondly, often the parents couldn't care less about anyone else and their reaction to their kid(s)--be it in a hotel, restaurant or a cruise ship or wherever.

Thirdly, if for no other reason than human nature, the parents do indeed want their time because it is indeed their vacation too.

It seems to me, and I think many, many others, that it would make very good business sense for the cruise lines to recognize these simple facts of life and institute measures to at least try to minimize problems before they even begin.

Finally, maybe it's true that aggravations won't ruin your vacation (cruise) unless you let them. But, I think that the far more important point ought to be--especially with the expense of a cruise--why should you even HAVE to be exposed situations like these?

Enjoy your shipboard experience--wherever that may be!:) :)

mrbbear, I don't agree in the least with your assertion that "You simply CAN'T rely on the majority of parents to exercise prudent judgment relative to the expected behavior of their kids--especially the little ones."

Don't lump us all in with the admittedly irresponsible minority who stand out in a crowd. I have been on cruise ships with many children and was only offended by the behaviour of three kids in one family on one occasion. The parents could have used a good spanking in my view for the behaviour of their children. When my kids saw them they said to me, "oh man, are those kids ever lucky they're not yours." Maybe, maybe not.

Your entitled to your opinion but, majority? Absolutely not.

majority? Absolutely not.

Good point. Of all our cruises, we have found that it is definately the minority (especially considering the huge number of children that cruise these days).

I have a brother and sister-in-law that I would never want to cruise with. They have 2 h*lluns and are in total and complete denial. Even our 2 sons see it.

Your comment reminded me of statements my sons made about their "cousins". The youngest said "boy, Mom wouldn't put up with that" and the oldest said "if our Mom was raising 'em, she would not have to, because they wouldn't act that way to begin with." I think they were 9 and 12 at the time. Funny how perceptive young ones can be.

Good point. Of all our cruises, we have found that it is definately the minority (especially considering the huge number of children that cruise these days).

I have a brother and sister-in-law that I would never want to cruise with. They have 2 h*lluns and are in total and complete denial. Even our 2 sons see it.

Your comment reminded me of statements my sons made about their "cousins". The youngest said "boy, Mom wouldn't put up with that" and the oldest said "if our Mom was raising 'em, she would not have to, because they wouldn't act that way to begin with." I think they were 9 and 12 at the time. Funny how perceptive young ones can be.

:D That's funny, my kids were about the same age when they said that too. We've got the same situation here with cousins. My husband's parents tried for a couple of years to get the whole family together for a cruise. We have a hard time making it through a meal when one of his brothers and his two kids are there. No way could I spend a week with them.

If you've got a loud, obnoxious, disruptive little one, what do you expect the cruise line to do, evict the entire family?

Anyone ever seen this happen? If someone was a loud, obnoxious, disruptive drunk constantly making loud noises into the wee hours of the night, would Carnival not remove them?

:D That's funny, my kids were about the same age when they said that too. We've got the same situation here with cousins. My husband's parents tried for a couple of years to get the whole family together for a cruise. We have a hard time making it through a meal when one of his brothers and his two kids are there. No way could I spend a week with them.

I completely understand. We turned down a week in Hawaii (all expenses paid). I am sure they all went, but it wasn't worth it to us...not even for free. It does make it difficult because my hubby only has the one other sibling...so when we turn things like that down, it is pretty obvious why.

I wonder if Disney Cruise Line has more sound proof walls? Now thats a cruise line that has TONS of children ranging from Infants right up to teens.

I guess if you travel Disney cruise lines, crying children are par for the course.

I wonder if they give out letters too? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyone ever seen this happen? If someone was a loud, obnoxious, disruptive drunk constantly making loud noises into the wee hours of the night, would Carnival not remove them?

J.D:

Re: the drunk...yes, probably, or perhaps banish him (her) to the brig for the remainder of the cruise.

Re: the little one(s) making a constant ruckus...I highly doubt it. And therein lies at least one of the important differences. There's nearly always a totally different set of standards when the young kids are involved. Hence, the logical conclusion to either not have to worry about such situations because they would not be aboard, OR patronize a line that will have a low incidence of the little ones.

You definately can't go by age but by the child. We have done 2 Disney cruises with friends of ours who have children the same age as ours (they were 4 and 6 on our first and 6 and 9 on the second) and done a Carnival cruise on our own with just our kids when they were 8 and 11. Even though our children were the same age there is definately a difference in behavior. Both of their children have problems sitting through long dinners. Ours find things to keep themselves occupied while theirs start to whine, glare, fidget (on and off their chairs), and get loud. Mine would never think of throwing a fit in public or private while their youngest one throws them all the time whereever and whenever he wants to. The funny thing is when their parents aren't around and they are just with us they behave just fine. We are good friends with these people and I know they are frustrated with their children but I don't think they realize just how poor their behavior is when they are with them and not when they are with others. They constantly excuse their bad behavior due to them being tired or hungry. I truly beleive they could use some counselling but I wouldn't want to jeopardize our friendship by suggesting it to them.

I have been embarassed many times by the behavior of their children in public places but it has been when the parents were there so I didn't feel it was my place to chastise them. What would you do??:confused:

I have been embarassed many times by the behavior of their children in public places but it has been when the parents were there so I didn't feel it was my place to chastise them. What would you do??:confused:
*Somebody* has to, it may as well be you. Public humiliation is a great motivational tool. Who knows, it might could just prod these "parents" to actually do some parenting.

When I was little (not all that long ago, 1980's) and I got fidgity in restaurants, my mother would give me a "horsebite"; she'd pinch the underside of my upper arm, the tender part, between her thumb and the side of her finger. It didn't really harm me, it didn't even bruise, but I still remember that it hurt like h***. I knew I was really in trouble if she asked me "Do I have to take you into the bathroom?" Most of the time, she didn't, and I think most people would say I was a well-behaved, quiet child. But, I also believe that part of the reason I was well-behaved, was because my mom expected me to be behaved; she wouldn't have accepted anything less. I should also add that while she was firm, she was loving, nurturing, and supportive, and now that I am an adult, she is one of my best friends(key phrase: now that I am an ADULT). If more parents were like that, maybe we wouldn't have threads like this one.

From the can you believe it files.

I have never had to complain about children, but last month on Elation, on embarkation day some teenagers were banging a large pot with a heavy wooden spoon on the Riveria deck about 4:00 p.m. or so, I was going to say something but before I could there was a page for that cabin and another to immediatly call the pursers desk.

That was the last anyone heard the pots that week.

*Somebody* has to, it may as well be you. Public humiliation is a great motivational tool. Who knows, it might could just prod these "parents" to actually do some parenting.

Tef:

Lot of truth in your post.

Some people are just plain slow learners. They require all the subtlety of a runaway Mack truck to drive some sense into them.

and, like I mentioned in a prior post, many parents (O.K., some parents ,but maybe NOT a majority), just can't (don't) have the ability to objectively take an honest look at their kid(s) ability to behave in just about any type of situation. Their lack of proper parenting and judgment affects everyone else.

So, as you eluded, if not you to administer the admonishment, then who else? Might just as well come from someone that they're familiar with...:)

It is amazing how inconsiderate people have become. This "lady" has a screaming two year old, and a hyper 7 year old - - and proclaims she'll do what she damn well pleases because she isn't going to be a hermit.

If you can't control your children, you should leave them at home. With a "parent" like you, these children will have a hard life. :mad:

I'm the OP here....I feel really attacked by some of you. I didn't explain myself very well but was very general in my original question. My 7 yr old is a special needs child. He's very hyper in the mornings and until he gets his medication , he's hyper. This makes his little sister who was 2 on the cruise and now 3 cry because of his jumping around and makes me cry too. I've aged 10 years just raising my ds. We do tell them to be quiet, stop jumping around but they are so darn excited to be on this ship. I'm glad they are having a good time and I'm sorry if it makes people upset but in no way, no way, did we ever let them make a sound before 8:00am or after 10:30pm, ever. We were asleep from 10:30pm to 8:00am every day.

BTW, a older lady sat next to us in the main dining room and commented on my dd who was 3 that day (her b-day). She said that a child that is hyper/alert is very bright and smart. I asked her how did she know this and she said she wrote books on it and is a professor of child psychology at Stanford. I told her I agreed since my ds was hyper and is in the gifted program at his school. I said people find it annoying. She said that these kids I have will be adults one day maybe leading the country or finding a cure for cancer or AIDS. She also said it's the quiet children who aren't so bright and smart.

My view on this is maybe the ship should put all families with children on one deck and all adults with no children on the other decks.:)

I hope I didn't offend anyone here and I'm not bragging at all. That's why I didn't mention any of the above in the original post.:o

It is amazing how inconsiderate people have become. This "lady" has a screaming two year old, and a hyper 7 year old - - and proclaims she'll do what she damn well pleases because she isn't going to be a hermit.

If you can't control your children, you should leave them at home. With a "parent" like you, these children will have a hard life. :mad:

I don't have anyone to leave our dc with at home:(

My mother is very old and has dementia. My dh's family is dead. We have no extended family at all. It's just me, my dh and our 2 dc. We don't let them do what they want, never. My ds won a "ship on a stick" at a dance contest on the boat and my dd didn't make a peep at dinner in the main dining room. My ds is a special needs child and we never let them make a peep before 8:00am or after 10:30pm ever.

We don't want to cruise without our kids even if we had family to watch them. We love them and love being with them. They are our only family we have at this point. They are growing up so fast and one day they will be on their own. Then dh and I can cruise alone and complain about the noisy kids next door and smile and think back about the time when our kids made noise and how we wish they were still small and with us there. :(

Surburban, I don't think anyone would think you were bragging :p

I'm sure things aren't easy... however, the point remains, that is not the problem of the other passengers. You got a visit and a letter regarding the noise your children were making. I understand you have a special needs child, but to put it bluntly, that is no excuse. If you KNOW your children are loud (and you do, you were the one that clued us in on it ;)) then you should avoid a vacation that would inconvenience others. Obviously it did... we haven't seen another person here who has ever received a note, so I'm going to go on a limb and say it was probably pretty bad. I am truly sorry... I know it must be very difficult, it sounds like you have your hands full... but bottom line is while I know you want to have fun and not be a hermit, you are doing so at the expense of other people who also want a peaceful vacation. You should probably wait to cruise until you have someone that can care for them, or they are of an age where they aren't loud and non stop crying.

As mentioned... many people here DO HAVE children and take their kids with them, and would not have wanted to be in a cabin next to a crying baby... so NO, that is NOT a good solution, at all!!!!!!

When I was little (not all that long ago, 1980's) and I got fidgity in restaurants, my mother would give me a "horsebite"; she'd pinch the underside of my upper arm, the tender part, between her thumb and the side of her finger. It didn't really harm me, it didn't even bruise, but I still remember that it hurt like h***. I knew I was really in trouble if she asked me "Do I have to take you into the bathroom?" Most of the time, she didn't, and I think most people would say I was a well-behaved, quiet child. But, I also believe that part of the reason I was well-behaved, was because my mom expected me to be behaved; she wouldn't have accepted anything less. I should also add that while she was firm, she was loving, nurturing, and supportive, and now that I am an adult, she is one of my best friends(key phrase: now that I am an ADULT). If more parents were like that, maybe we wouldn't have threads like this one.

Very well said!!! It's been a while since I got the pinch (or the threat of going outside with her and all that entailed), but I still remember!! In fact, I am still pretty sure if I misbehaved now, I'd get the pinch or taken outside!!!

I reared my son in that same manner. He has cruised since he was young, just the 2 of us. I never had a problem with him behaving in public. He was/is an active, cannot sit still-type young man, but he behaved. And, I know he knows that if he misbehaves now in public that I would give him the pinch (or take him outside if necessary)!! Though it might be hard for me to do now as he is now 18 y/o 6'2" & 190#!!! But his grandmother (my mama-the original pincher) would help me!!

Archived