Bad Hype

I've been recently hearing on the news and from other sources that many people are "disappearing" on cruises. Certain things are being implied like people are being pushed over, kidnapped and such. I'm sure it's just the media trying to find blow it out of proportion. Personally bad things can happen to you anywhere but if it happens abroad people tend to point alot of fingers. Personally I'm looking forward to going on my first cruise but I'm sick of people telling me how dangerous it is these days.

Thoughts on the matter, anyone?

My only comment is that you should go on your first cruise and enjoy every second of this new experience! :)

Conduct yourself on a ship the same way you would at home - don't put yourself in a dangerous situation.

I agree with previous poster!

Go on your cruise, relax and enjoy!

My only piece of advice is

STAY AWAY FROM THE SIDE OF THE SHIP IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING!

I was on the 5/14 sailing of the mariner where the young man went over because he was vomiting off the side of the ship and he lost his footing.

I also have a theory that the honeymooner, who was TEN sheets to the wind, decided it was a good idea to sit ON his balcony railing and smoke a cigar, lost his balance (ship rolled too hard for his intoxicated self?) and he fell off onto the lifeboat awning, cracked his head, passed out, and eventually got rolled into the sea by the ships movement.

Bottom line.....

STAY AWAY FROM THE SIDE OF THE SHIP IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING!

My inlaws have been hearing all the negative things in the media lately about cruises, and don't want us to go now. We're taking our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas in under 2 weeks, and it doesn't help that one of the unfortunate tradgedies happened on our ship.

I'm looking forward to a wonderful vacation!

All this stuff about things happening to passengers...it could happen anywhere. It's a lot of hype. You know how the media likes to get everyone all riled up and in a tizzy. Cruising is probably one of the safest places you could possibly take a vacation. You have a better chance being struck by lightning than you do being hurt on a cruise ship. Think about it, there are probably 100 to 200 cruise ships out there, each carrying 2500 people or so so thats roughly about a quarter of a million people who are afloat at one time enjoying the time of their lives....

Enjoy, have fun, but do be safe...:)

My inlaws have been hearing all the negative things in the media lately about cruises, and don't want us to go now. We're taking our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas in under 2 weeks, and it doesn't help that one of the unfortunate tradgedies happened on our ship.

I'm looking forward to a wonderful vacation!

Don't let them get you paranoid, the media has blown all of this out of proportion. Just give them a copy of the local newspaper with car crashes, suicides, murder, tragic accidents, fires, etc. It doesn't matter where you are bad things happen!

The worst thing that is probably going to happen to you...you get addicted to cruising!!!!

The common factor of the incidents that we have all read about recently is the abuse/ overuse of alcohol! Use good judgement and moderation. Each of us is responsible for our own behavior. Have a great experience, and come home safely to report to us - and your disbelieving friends and relatives.:)

I agree with everyone else - have a great time and if you are a partier on vacation, have a companion stay semi sober, stay inside at night and don't get so overserved that you lose control. Mr Wolf tried a new concoction last cruise and was 3 sheets pretty quickly. I cut him off (booze, people, we're talking booze), stayed with him, kept him from being too much of an a$$ (he's a very happy drunk!) and got him to take a nap and sleep it off. People tend to forget that you factor in lots of sun, sleep deprivation and vaction adrenaline and sometimes alcohol affects you differently. The two common denominators in accidental disappearances are alcohol and solitude. Keep this in mind NOW! My new cruising mantra has been that personal responsibility does not end when you leave dry land.

I've been recently hearing on the news and from other sources that many people are "disappearing" on cruises. Thoughts on the matter, anyone?

If the total number of incidents listed on the web site http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html is accurate, it seems like a very, very small percentage of cruisers get into trouble by accident or misadventure. I really wouldn't worry about it. But as a previous poster advised, don't do stupid stuff near the rails of a ship. Or a balcony, if you're on land...

OP: your friends have their statistics out of whack. There are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people cruising every year, and yes, there are going to be people out of that number who die. Tell them to check the hotel stats.

We've been cruising for over 30 years, and NOTHING has EVER happened to us, and we've NEVER seen anything happen.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I've been recently hearing on the news and from other sources that many people are "disappearing" on cruises. Certain things are being implied like people are being pushed over, kidnapped and such. I'm sure it's just the media trying to find blow it out of proportion. Personally bad things can happen to you anywhere but if it happens abroad people tend to point alot of fingers. Personally I'm looking forward to going on my first cruise but I'm sick of people telling me how dangerous it is these days.

Thoughts on the matter, anyone?

Not to nitpick, but I don't remember hearing anything about anyone being pushed overboard or being kidnapped from a cruise ship.

You're not nitpicking. There was a young lady that went missing on a Royal Caribbean ship in the late 1990's whose parents still insist she was kidnapped.

Also, the George Smith incident from last July is under question. His family thinks he was thrown or pushed, rather than falling accidentally while intoxicated.

If the total number of incidents listed on the web site http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html is accurate, it seems like a very, very small percentage of cruisers get into trouble by accident or misadventure. I really wouldn't worry about it. But as a previous poster advised, don't do stupid stuff near the rails of a ship. Or a balcony, if you're on land...

Right! Since 2001, think of the millions of Americans who have cruised on all cruise lines. Only 25 have been lost "for no reason." I like those odds.

I still believe after eleven cruises that cruising is the safest way to vacation.

Obviously, you have to use common sense just as you would any time you set foot outside your home.

I think most if not all the people who get involved in these situations have let their guard down because they're on vacation as well as left their common sense at home! Of course, drinking until your insensible doesn't help either!

I've got my next cruise coming up at the end of September, and I can't wait!

Don't blame the media for reporting the news. Fact is, people are interested when someone goes missing off a cruise ship.

As for the "alternative media" (sensationalistic TV shows, or even TV in general), I can't speak for that ...

But news is news ... "negative" news or "positive" news ...

So support your local newspaper.

Punderful,

Not to change the subject but I grew up in Wayne, NJ. Have you lived there long? I lived off of Black Oak Ridge Road. This is the first time I have seen anyone from Wayne.

Archived