Cruise West vs. American West Steamboat Company

gopackgo

My husband and I are thinking of taking either Cruise West's or American West Steamboat's cruise on the Columbia and Snake Rivers this fall. Both itineraries seem very similar but the Cruise West (CW) one seems a little more detailed - a few more things to do.

However, American West Steamboat (AWS) boats look so much more attractive as they are sternwheelers. The cabins look a lot nicer, more decorative and seem to be larger. It also seems like they emphasize some entertainment, where CW doesn't seem to mention that much.

Does anyone have experience on either of these company's river cruises? I am looking for comparisons on general atmosphere, excursions and food quality. Or any other input!! :)

Thanks,

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

We´ve done the Columbia River last year aboard the Columbia Queen (which is out of service again). My review is linked below. And we´ve done an Alaska roundtrip on the Empress of the North (American West Steamboat Company). You will also find my review linked in my signature. On our rivers-rails.com website you can find more informations about both American West Steamboat Company boats, the Empress of the North and the Queen of the West. Unfortunately we didn´t had the time to visit the Queen of the West but we got some nice outside shots in the Portland area.

American West Steamboat Company was bought by Ambassadors Internationals in January. Ambassadors Internationals also aquired the Delta Queen Steamboat Company (Mississippi / Ohio rivers and tributaries).

AWSC does offer some evening entertainment (see my review) and when we talked to some officials last year we were told that they plan to extend the quality of the shows. They do offer an evening show. In the Paddlewheel Lounge there was also a duo playing and singing. Best thing on the Empress was the food which is much more than only outstanding!! All included tours were very well organized and regarding the Columbia River they do use their own busses which accompany the boats the whole week long. Both boats do feature a river historian giving talks about the history of river navigation, steamboating and current navigation. On our Alaska cruise we had a naturalist aboard. But I do know that two of the Delta Queen Steamboat Company historians have changed to American West.

Search this board and the River Cruises board (see Special Interest Cruising) for "Empress". There has been a thread a while ago where someone also posted a short review of his Columbia River cruise aboard the Empress.

steamboats

Archived