Nicest cabins?

cruzemaven

all cruise lines let you know the cabin sizes of their ships - just review their websites or brochures. I found that the newer ships (on the European rivers) feature 170-175 sq ft cabins and more spacious junior suites of around 225 sq ft. Cabins on older ships tend to be smaller (cabins of ships on Russian river cruises are generally smaller with around 90 sq ft). Windows on lower decks can never be opened. Higher decks usually feature "French Balkonies" with floor to ceiling sliding doors. We have been on two European river cruises (both on the Symphony) and have not seen or heard of screen doors. I think all ships catering to the US market are non-smoking.

My husband and I did a comprehensive tour of China last May,of which a Victoria cruise line river cruise was included.It was only 4 days,but a beautiful ship-very roomy cabins,with modern bathroom,little fridge and best of all,sliding doors out to a little balcony.We enjoyed sitting there watching the sights along the river.

We've decided to cruise on either Avalon or Amadeus newest ships. My question concerns location of cabin. We know we don't want the lowest level but aren't certain about where we would be likely to have the "quietest" cabins at the most economical price. Any suggestions or thoughts on whether we need have concerns about noise under restaurant, etc. I read here that you can often hear ship mechanical movements at front of ship. I also read that movement is slight so motion doesn't differ much in any areas. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Avalon Artistry, very nice ship. We paid extra for top deck with sliding french doors. Room was nice but had a small shower. We were in room 301 which would have been perfect except we hate cigaret smoke. We could not open our window without smoke blowing in. We were next to the smoking area where the crew and always someone was lighting up. We paid 1000 dollars more for a beautiful room that we could not open the window without the room being full of smoke. Be sure to ask if there are smoking areas next to your room.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
We were on the Avalon Artistry, very nice ship. We paid extra for top deck with sliding french doors. Room was nice but had a small shower. We were in room 301 which would have been perfect except we hate cigaret smoke. We could not open our window without smoke blowing in. We were next to the smoking area where the crew and always someone was lighting up. We paid 1000 dollars more for a beautiful room that we could not open the window without the room being full of smoke. Be sure to ask if there are smoking areas next to your room.

We'll be on the Poetry (similar layout as the Artistry) on 4/15, in room 409. That means there will be four rooms between us and the galley. I hope we'll be far enough away from the smokers.

One of the great things about being near the galley is that if you sleep with your sliding door open you will awake to the lovely smells of coffee brewing and breakfast breads being baked! And just think how close you will be to the dining room!

Clarence:)

Archived