Nicest cabins?

cruzemaven

We were on Uniworld River Empress last December. We had a suite which was plenty roomy. Lots of storage/closet space, sitting area, and huge tub. From what I could tell, the regular cabins also had lots of storage and nice cabins. Beds were large and not the "fold down" kind.

We were on the Avalon Poetry last summer and opted for the the jr. suite which was very spacious with a bathroom/huge shower that rivals any of your cruise ships cabins! We thought the upgrade was definitely worth the extra money when seeing other cabins on both our ship and others along the river routes we encountered. We had some rainy weather and times when we could relax in our suite in front of a wall of glass french balcony doors and watch the sights in comfort.

cruzemaven,

I waited with my reply as I wanted to see reactions by others and what I read is exactly what I´ve expected. As probably noone of us has tried out all river cruise companies plying the European rivers noone might be able to give you a real good advice. Sure everyone is praising the company he´s been with. Why, very simple: especially for the US market there´s a very tight competition. All companies like Uniworld, Avalon, Amadeus, Viking, GCT are fighting for the same customers. Many of the companies have launched new boats this or last year. All boats are quite new or completely refurbished - let´s say - within the last three years. There isn´t really any bad company where someone would say the cabins are extremely small and shabby. Reading the websites of most of the river cruise companies everyone is praising the size of their cabins. I compared lots of them and made up fact sheets using the data provided on the companies websites (those fact sheets will be available some day on our rivers-rails.com website). So my conclusion: There is no bad company for the US market!

This is completely different regading the European market. There are lots of boats from Bulgaria or Romania which I don´t want to set my foot on and which are sold by EUR 299 for a week! The reliable companies in Germany do focuse on a different clientele. There´s a more low budget company, another focusing on younger crowds, or like Deilmann (which is also on the US market) are more upscale and luxurious.

So my best advice for you is: have a look on the itineraries and decide by that! Some look very similar but don´t go to the same places. Some companies are "all inclusive" with shore tours, wine for dinner included in the fare. Those are the things I´d look on. Nearly all boats do feature Junior Suites in a limited number. If you need space and can afford it book a JS.

steamboats

I think Steamboats has hit it right on the head. I would look for the right itinerary at a price you're comfortable with and book a JS if you're not worried about the cost.

Our cabin on Uniworld's River Empress, while a bit small at 152 sq. ft. was quite nice. What I liked about it: The beds and bedding were great compared to any of the cruise ships I've been on. Also, the cabins (with the exception of the suites) were all identical, the only difference being location and size of the window. This helps if you're price sensitive as on some lines the lower category cabins have twin fold down beds. The other thing I liked was a larger shower than I'm used to on cruises, and it had a door on it rather than that freaky shower curtain that can get a bit clingy.

The only thing really that botherd me about the cabin was the location of the closets. They were at the foot of the bed, and it made it hard to walk around the bed if the other person was digging around in there for something. That was it, and it was really just a tiny annoyance. Oh, and I would have liked it if the windows had opened.

One other thing that I liked - Uniworld's policy of no smoking in the cabins ensured that it smelled fresh.

Here's my two cents (for what it's worth)

We've only done one river cruise, last year Holland to Hungary with Vantage. I am sure all companys and river boats are pretty close to the same re: size.

We choose the bottom cabin on the boat. Reason was it's about $300 or so cheaper and rooms about the same size except the suites. You only are in there to sleep and change and we had more money for wine and other goodies. Signed up for China next May and again, bottom of the boat on the Yangtze cruise part. And the fold down beds are really comfortable. Willard

• 3 weeks later...

Important to consider: most of the new ships are geared to the US market and are most definitely NO SMOKING. This makes a huge difference if you hate smoke. Deilmann is SMOKING. There is no point spending big bucks on them if you don't want to listen to German and/or breathe cigarette smoker.

hybrn8,

In fact smoking is allowed on Deilmann ships but only in specific areas like parts of the lounge, in front of the dining room and of course on the sun deck. Smoking is not allowed in the cabins, in the aisles and in the dining room.

steamboats

I usually notice the smell from smoking and did not have any issues with that in our cabin on Deilmann's Mozart. In the lobby area in in the area just outside the dining room, yes, I had problems, but there was usually somewhere else to go. Not in our cabin, however. (The cruiseline changed their policy on smoking a year or two ago -- it's even more limited than before. There's a press release out there about it -- probably still available on their website.)

With respect to hearing German, the announcements were presented in both German and English. Most of the staff speak English quite well. Most of the German passengers also do. We had no problem with language on Mozart.

S

I would have liked it if the windows had opened..

We don't require a balcony, but we want fresh air, too, so a window which opens is important. From my recollection, though, window screens are close to non-existent in Europe.

Question for Steamboats (or anyone who knows): which ships have windows that open, and which have window screens? I hate mosquitos!

Important to consider: most of the new ships are geared to the US market and are most definitely NO SMOKING. This makes a huge difference if you hate smoke. Deilmann is SMOKING. There is no point spending big bucks on them if you don't want to listen to German and/or breathe cigarette smoker.

I agree, reluctantly, because Deilmann—aside from the smoke—would be my first choice.

When they get their act together and don't allow smoking anywhere indoors, we'll book! Their ships look beautiful.

kruzeesuzee,

Hhm, I haven´t seen window screens at any of the cruise ships I´ve seen.

Regarding the possibility to open the windows I don´t think you were able to open the windows at any deck on the MS Mozart. Usually all windows on the lowest deck can´t be opened on all boats because they´re too close to the water line. Usually in cabins with French windows/doors the windows can be opened. But also usually those are the cabins on the upper decks and those are also more expensive than the ones on the lower decks. If this is very importand to you I´d ask the cruise company before booking.

Regarding the smoking issue: Political discussions are very hot regarding this topic. Chances are quite good that smoking will be banned by the beginning of 2007. So far there´s no law. As Deilmann is doing a lot of PR on the US market I assume they have to rethink their already tightened smoking policy (it´s tightened in their eyes not in yours of course as smoking is still allowed in certain indoor spaces).

steamboats

PS: Regarding mosquitoes, I never needed a repellant on our US river cruises except for one evening throughout the last 10 years despite the West Nile fever. Our mosquitoes are harmless compared to yours :-).

I generally agree with Steamboats' assessment of river cruising and the various companies....But, and there is always a but, there is a very good reason the various companies charge differently. You have to be honest with yourself as to what is most important to you, vis a vis a cruising experience....Size of cabin?..Cuisine?...Shore excursions included?...Quality of wines poured at dinner?[if complimentary]...Staff?...River Boat Cruising is exactly like off- shore cruising...Different horses for different courses etc....We have cruised extensively and been on: Princess, NCL, NAL, Royal Viking, Cunnard[QM2],Seaborne,Radisson,SilverSea,HAL and probably 1or 2 I forgot...Enjoyed them all !!!!.....Do your home work....Or pick one of the TA's that specialize in cruising....I have a super agent but I do not think I am allowed to say the name...Good Luck and I hope to see you aboard sometime....

We don't require a balcony, but we want fresh air, too, so a window which opens is important. From my recollection, though, window screens are close to non-existent in Europe.

Question for Steamboats (or anyone who knows): which ships have windows that open, and which have window screens? I hate mosquitos!

Viking has windows that open on middle and top decks but not on all their ships. Go to their web site and check out the deck plans. You will see written very small something like " Windows in cabins 300-321 and 216-240 can slide open". This was taken from the Viking Spirit's deck plans but there are several other ships that also have windows that open.

Steamboats, we hope you finish your fact sheets in time to help us plan for our 2007 cruise, which may be a river cruise. Information on room size and whether beds are normal beds that pull out from the wall is important to us.

We would have tried river cruising before now, and have considered it every year since 2002; but we were and are afraid we'd feel cramped in the staterooms. We recently sailed on the Zenith, and felt crowded in a room that was 170 square feet. That does not bode well for river crusing, where all but the most expensive categories (and sometimes even those) are much smaller than the Zenith rooms.

Joanandjoe,

My fact sheets are ready but DH has to upload them :D . Compeeting on the same market the US companies are providing larger and larger cabins on the river ships. Usually beds are hotel style and only for a third person there might be a pulman type bed which folds out of the wall as a upper bunk. So I think you don´t have to worry about that.

steamboats

I think the answer depends on whether you want a river in Europe, river in China/Russia, or river in the US.

In Europe, all riverboats are the same width so that they can pass through the locks. Thus, the depth of cabins is the same and, in fact, most cabins are about 150 sq ft., some smaller. The newness depends on the age of the boat and when it was last refurbished.

Outside of Europe, there can be considerable difference in cabin size, etc. You should check the lines that offer the itinerary you want.

Just returned from a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on Amadeus Princess a brand new ship. Booked trip through Intrav.com

Great ship and great crew.

......What can you tell me of your trip? I had a very good experience with INTRAV on the Rembrandt for 20 days in Holland/Belgium in 2004. I am considering them for next July...Any comments from you would be appreciated. Did you notice the size of their suites?..Thanks, Rob

Joanandjoe,

My fact sheets are ready but DH has to upload them :D . Compeeting on the same market the US companies are providing larger and larger cabins on the river ships. Usually beds are hotel style and only for a third person there might be a pulman type bed which folds out of the wall as a upper bunk. So I think you don´t have to worry about that.

steamboats

steamboats............my DW and I have booked a GCT trip next June on the Rhine and Mosel, and are beginning to wonder if we did the right thing. We have not had a chance to study all of the other lines. Would appreciated feedback to rby1@earthlink.net

Thanks,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
kruzeesuzee,

Hhm, I haven´t seen window screens at any of the cruise ships I´ve seen.

Regarding the possibility to open the windows I don´t think you were able to open the windows at any deck on the MS Mozart. Usually all windows on the lowest deck can´t be opened on all boats because they´re too close to the water line. Usually in cabins with French windows/doors the windows can be opened. But also usually those are the cabins on the upper decks and those are also more expensive than the ones on the lower decks. If this is very importand to you I´d ask the cruise company before booking.

Regarding the smoking issue: Political discussions are very hot regarding this topic. Chances are quite good that smoking will be banned by the beginning of 2007. So far there´s no law. As Deilmann is doing a lot of PR on the US market I assume they have to rethink their already tightened smoking policy (it´s tightened in their eyes not in yours of course as smoking is still allowed in certain indoor spaces).

steamboats

PS: Regarding mosquitoes, I never needed a repellant on our US river cruises except for one evening throughout the last 10 years despite the West Nile fever. Our mosquitoes are harmless compared to yours :-).

Hello Steamboats, You seem to be well versed in river cruising so I hope you can help me regarding travel time on the Danube. We are researching various lines for Prague to Budapest and I'm concerned now about what I've read regarding river flooding and cruises being diverted to buses. Is flooding a common problem throughout the spring? Would fall be a better cruising time? I would prefer not to travel in hot & humid weather. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you! Didi

Archived