Amsterdam to Dover?

Also posted in pre-post cruise but was suggested to post here, too....

Just booked 14 day Baltic cruise June/07 from Dover to Copenhagen. We would like to spend 3-4 days in Amsterdam before our cruise. How do we get from Amsterdam to Dover? I have done a little research and found Channel Tunnel tickets in the general areas but were between $475-$700 (for 2) Seems a bit high for a 2 hour trip.

Any suggestions? We have a year to plan...I just get so excited!

As I posted already in another topic in the board, it is not very easy to get from Dover to Amsterdam.

Easiest is to travel to London and fly from there. Airlines like BA,KLM,BMi,Easyjet etc. all fly various times per day. Be aware of luggage-restrictions.

Or take a train through the tunnel to Brussels, change there to another train to Amsterdam. There probably is a station near Dover, otherwise also go to London first.

I donot think a rentalcar is an option, you might have high drop-off costs and a british car in Europe (wheel on the other side) doesnot seem very convenient.

Or take a train through the tunnel to Brussels, change there to another train to Amsterdam. There probably is a station near Dover, otherwise also go to London first.
This is what I'd suggest. If the direction of travel is Amsterdam to Dover, take a train from Amsterdam to Brussels Midi. Change to the Eurostar bound for London, making sure you get one that stops at Ashford International. Get off the Eurostar there, and take a train to Dover Priory. There should be a couple of trains an hour, and it should take about half an hour to get from Ashford to Dover.

This is a sample trip for tomorrow (overall journey time 5:32):-

Amsterdam Centraal 02.06.06 dep 12:56

Bruxelles-Midi 02.06.06 arr 15:35

Bruxelles-Midi transfer 24 min.

Bruxelles-Midi 02.06.06 dep 16:01

Ashford(Kent) Int. 02.06.06 arr 16:34

Ashford(Kent) Int. walk 10 min.

Ashford(Kent) 02.06.06 dep 17:01

Dover Priory 02.06.06 arr 17:28

We went via the Chunnel train from Ashford to Brussels last year and just took a taxi from Dover to get to the train station in Asford. It was around a 20-minute ride, and I think the fare was around 25-30 pounds. We were very relieved that we didn't have to go all the way into London, and it saved us at least 3 hours by going from Ashford. So Luvinsd, you could get off the train in Ashford and then take a taxi to Dover to the ship (our itinerary was reversed because we were post cruise). We found the best price for our rail tickets on http://www.raileurope.com but check travelpro.net because that agency had lower fares on other dates of travel. Because we traveled on a Saturday, I think we paid $179 each for 1st class seats. If we had been willing to stay in Dover for the day and then travel that evening, I think we could have gone for $129 each, but we wanted to go on to Brussels and Bruge having already spent time in Dover and a lot of time in London. And of course that is 2005 prices, but please note that the prices do vary based on which day during the week you travel (I think Saturday fares were the highest).

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived