GCT Nile--Dec. 17, 2006--Roll Call

JordanF

Hi--I am traveling to Egypt with GCT, leaving December 17th. I am traveling with my wife and two sons (who will be 18 & 15).

I had previously posted a roll call for December 16th, but GCT cancelled that one due to lack of enrollment. They moved us to the 17th. I think events in Egypt have put a damper on travel to that country.

Is anyone else going on this tour?

Not going on your Egypt trip but we were there about 1 1/2 years ago (also with GCT) and it was wonderful. While on the river we were on the MS Anuket and our Egyptian guide was Nabil. Just hope you are so lucky. It has to be the absolute trip we have taken.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went on this trip in March, 2006. It was wonderful. Our guide (Ehab) was excellent. His English and knowledge of Egypt were both very good.

We took the optional to Alexandria - well worth the money.

We also took optional to Abu Simbel - Terrific. Must book in advance.

Paul

Paul:

Thank you for your comments. We are definately planning to go to Alexandria. However, due to the price (times four) we are probably going to skip Abu Simbal. Is this a huge mistake?

Also, we are considering the hot air baloon. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jordan

Ditto on the Abu Simbel trip. Skip the balloon and definitely do Abu. You will never regret it. If you happen to see Nabil, say 'hi' for us. He sends us Christmas cards and Easter cards and it has been a couple of years since our trip. We just loved him.

In the 60's when Lake Nasser was formed after the construction of the High Aswan Dam many ruins were to be covered by water. Abu Simbel was moved, an entire mountain of ruins. Ten to 15 stories tall I would imagine, they were cut apart raised about 600 feet, and reconstructed. It is almost impossble to see where the cuts were made. The ruins are magnificent, even without the thoughts of them being moved. I am sure you can find a web site that shows pictures and provides more info.

Hope you get to see it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I visited Egypt last year on an OAT tour (not GCT, but basically the same company but with smaller groups). It was an exceptional trip. I echo everyone's sentiments that Abu Simbel should not be missed. I enjoyed the hot air balloon excursion but partly because I had never been up in a hot air balloon before.

Archived