Formal Dresses

cbrtls5

Ugh, I'm having a horrible time. This is my first cruise, my dh and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniv. We never had a honeymoon so this is kind of like one. No kids for a week woohoo!!! But I'm having a terrible time with formal wear. Unfortunately, I'm not a skinny gal. I'm rather fluffy!! Every dress I've found is either spaghetti straps, halter top or strapless! That just makes my stomach churn because I know that my big ol arms would be showing. It's one thing when you have small arms but I can assure you, as fluffy gal (sz 16/18), my arms are not small. What should I wear? The formals I have found with sleeves are something that my grandmother or mother would wear. I'm still youngish (29) so I don't want to look too matronly. HELP!!!!!!

Find a basic black dress. Then purchase several accessories. Wraps, shawls, broaches, jewelry etc. It can get chilly in some areas of the ship so a poncho (light open weave) can be a plus to wear over a basic dress (and cover those arms you are worried about.) This way you can wear the dress more than once if you are going on a long cruise by changing up the accessories.

You will be surprised about what you will see on board. My first cruise I almost fell over when I saw a 90+ year old woman in a bikini! I didnt worry about being out in a swim suit after that! Just remember to relax and enjoy yourself... most people will be focused on having a good time! and so should you!

Thank you. I know I'm probably worried about it more than anyone else and really, I'll never see these people again. It's just hard to get over the self conscious thing. Besides, I don't want to walk into the dining room and make someone choke when they see me and my arms a-comin!!

You are going to have a great time cb, just because of your attitude..Not fluffy myself but can't do backless, sleeveless etc. because of my own reasons and have found things that have worked. Believe me on a cruise noone is looking at you, except you and your hubby and that is all that counts!!

Oh and by the way..One of my favorite memories as a child was seeing my aunt with her arms-a-coming!

Wrangler gave you great ideas!

Hi cbrtls5:

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! Do take and purchase at least one formal picture to commemorate your special day. You do not need to buy any frames or albums on board - frames are aplenty in the stores when you get home!

I am a mother of two and WAS a size 13-14, and so your 16-18 size is close. (I lost 20 lbs on the Atkins Diet in January 2002 and have maintained my lighter weight since then - I am now a size 10.) At size 13-14, I was able to wear an A-line floor length black satin skirt (but it did not have a train) with a boustier top. I did not have a wrap but you could cover up your arms with a black wrap, in chiffon or soft satin. I would however suggest a skirt that has a train (it is now fashionable for formals to have small trains, skirts or gowns alike) and a skirt that is streamlined (ie. a somewhat straight skirt or one that is slightly A-line, AND WITH A TRAIN.) The train will add height especially when you stand on the steps for that photoshoot and thus give you the long lean look and you will look thinner, ie. your skirt will not look cut-off at the back; it will drag and extend your look - that is, you do not want a "tree-stump" look) The colour Black always works for a slimmer look. The length of the skirt should cover your toes and should almost! touch the floor when you have your dress heels on.

Another suggestion is to go for a black satin suit, with straight leg pants, with no pockets if possible (pockets could add bulk but if you want pockets on the jacket and/or pants, make sure they are horizontally-slit pockets). The pants should be long enough to just cover your toes with your dress heels on - it should not be brushing the floor. The jacket should be fitted with the first (or perhaps the only) button just below the bustline. You could team it up with a sparkly tank or halter top and matching jewellery. I would suggest you stay away from very wide leg pants because these just add volume - not a good way to go.

Wearing your hair in an updo and donning those long dangly sparkly earrings will elongate your look! Also V-neck tank or halter tops or boustiers might work better for the long lean look than round neck ones.

Just a few tried and true suggestions. Have fun on your cruise and bring back great memories!

regards from hooked-on cruising;)

I'm your size, and was going to send you a picture of the dress I'm taking for the big formal night... but then I realized I'm probably your mother's age! :D

My cruise will have two formal nights, and for the second night I'm wearing a pair of those "car wash" pants, black chiffon, and the upper panels have a little sparkle to them. On top a black sparkly top with 3/4 sleeves.

You have gotten some great responses. I totally agree that you can easily accessorize and "re-create" a great black dress. ;)

Yes, you are probably more worried about your arms than anyone else will ever be, but we all understand the need and want to feel pretty.:)

So, I say shop for the black outfit, whether it is a pantsuit or dress, and change it up with different items!You will pack less, and you will look great!:D

Have a wonderful cruise... don't focus on the negative.... life AND your cruise are WAY TOO SHORT!!!! ;)

I wanted to put in my "two cents" worth as this will be my first cruise as well. You have gotten some great answers. While I am 20 years older than you, I about drove myself crazy with trying to find a formal for my size 18 body. Came home in tears at times thinking I needed a long formal that costs a bunch of money. Not!! Instead I found a very pretty pantsuit from JC Penneys. Flowy pants with a top with sparkles for one formal night and a blue cocktail dress for the second. Calm down when it comes to your arms :D as only you will notice them! Find a shawl or large scarf as suggested and you will be beautiful!

As everyone else has said, don't focus on what you think are your shortcomings, but find something where you feel beautiful and comfortable.

Before our last cruise, I went to Marshall's and tried on a ton of dresses. I found several that were not too expensive, and were dressy enough. There were many different styles - some with jackets, others with sleeves, others that were strapless.

I don't think you need to stick with black - but if that's what you feel comfortable in, then go for it. There are lots of dress outfits now with a little jacket. I've seen several at Talbots, and some are definitely suitable for a young woman. They are more expensive, but they might give you ideas for outfits from other stores.

If you are curvy but just dislike your arms, get something that emphasizes your waist. I watch both the British and American "What Not To Wear" a lot, and they often show dresses with empire waists and a deep v-neck, which really makes the most of your figure. You're young and you're going to have fun on your cruise, so get something that you feel good in!

Have a great time - and happy anniversary!

You might want to try ready to wear bridal shops like David's Bridal. If I remember right they carry up to size 22. Most of the bridesmaid dresses will be younger. I saw some really cute, stylish ones. Get a sleeveless one and then try something like a matching satin bolero. Here's a link to the one they have for ideas.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/accessory_detail.jsp?stid=2155&prodgroup=43

I just had to get in on this one. You see, 15 mos. ago I was a size 26/28, and with determination and WW I'm very proudly into 16's & 18's, big arms and all !! I still have a ways to go and I will get there, but I look and feel so much better than I did. Due to my size I have always taken pride in dressing as appropriatly and flattering as possible and will continue to do so even when I've lost all the weight. However, this year I will not worry about my "bat wings" on my cruise. Last year I made myself sick trying to avoid situations, cute clothes, and nice breezes, lol. It's not worth it, I plan to wear a whole slew of really cute little summer tops and things this year and enjoy doing so !! Life is too short and a cruise especially is too precious for me to not take total pleasure in it and all it has to offer.

You will look stunning, just remember to keep smiling and wink at dh from time to time!!

Happy sailing~~~~~~

Martha

Oopps, sorry to post again, but I forgot, Burlington's has some really nice wraps and shawls most all the time. I've gotten alot of nice cruise clothes there lately, including a "Longitudes" swimsuit for 30.00 as opposed to paying 90.00 elsewhere. I also love their handbag selection, OMG, don't get me started on purses again, lol !!!!! :p

Congrats on your anniversary and have a great time! Whatever you wear, there will be someone who looks better than you and someone who looks worse. I always keep that in my mind and it helps get over that self-consciousness. Plus, the only people that matter what they think when they look at you are you and your hubby.

Keep these tips coming, girls...I thought I was the only one who was going weepy-crazy over finding something to wear on formal nights. Self-esteem issues galore... As a short, curvy, size 14 forty-something, I have been struggling with this formal night issue for weeks. Tips for making us short-rounds look longer and leaner would be so helpful! I don't want to look like a beachball, nor the mother of the bride. I also have upper arm "issues," like other posters. Love the shopping links...Are there any sites a la "What Not To Wear," in helping to choose clothing based on figure flaws and body type? I'm a clueless shopper...

This is our first cruise, and I simply want to look presentable next to my gorgeous, tall hubby and handsome son.:rolleyes:

Gratefully,

Miss Me Too

Dawn Princess 29 July 2006!!

First Cruise!!

I was a size 14 2 yrs ago and got down to a 10. But, large upper arms run in my family so I too have always been self conscious of them. Well, the weight loss gave me some greatly needed self confidence, along with this "I really have earned the right to be free of this baggage" that has come with age. I'll have my 48th birthday while on our cruise.

Anyway, I love to sew, used to make formals/bridesmaids dresses for folks, so making my formals to me is part of the fun of the whole experience. It's our first cruise, we are celebrating our 25th anniversay.

If this works (not sure how to add pics), this is the dress I made, and this is the fabric. It's a knit, with gold sparkly threads all throughout. I thought it was so pretty until my daughter said "Mom, it looks like a Flintstone dress" LOL I don't care! She did say it made me look taller and thinner. I think the flounce at the bottom offsets my big rear. It's a bit greener than in the photo

Okay, not the pics, but links to them.

Image1.jpg.a77b6583dcf297010975f799e4d1e3a8.jpg

Image2.jpg.b7284b97192a44f81faca2a9d883427a.jpg

Archived