Amsterdam -- Category and Deck Info, Please!

Marialivia

At last our cabin assignment has shown up on the Immigration Form site. We had been assigned a Guaranteed Category F, and it appears that we now actually have a Category EE on the Dolphin Deck. I did check the location on the deck diagram but have difficulty translating this in my mind to an actual stateroom. As the Category EE is listed as more expensive than the F, I'm assuming this is an "upgrade"? What might be the difference between F and EE? Any information will be much appreciated, as always. ML:D

EE and any other double letter designations are new categories that showed up last year. Prior to last year you either had an E cabin or F cabin. As stated by the previous poster the cabins are the same. It is just the location on the ship that determines the category. Most people prefer mid ship cabins which generally produce a smoother ride in heavy seas. That is the reason that you will find the cabins toward the center of the ship more expensive than the ones closer to the bow or stern. In fact in the cabins far forward you will have to deal with noise's like the bow thrusters, and the worst one is letting go of the anchor when the ship has to anchor. You better not be a late sleeper on the day a ship is anchoring.:eek: The cabins toward the stern of the ship deal with thruster noise and also some engine noise. So that is the reason that the cabins on either end are less expensive.

Thanks All! I note that we are adjacent to the "last" of the F cabins (so we are the "first" of the EEs). Last time we cruised, we were on the RCCL Voyager, where our cabin was way "up front," and our windows faced forward. Actually, we LOVED it! As yet we've had no adverse effects to whatever location we find ourselves in, but I'm happy to know we got a bit of a break in the price. ML

We were on the Amsterdam's repositioning cruise across the Atlantic. We were in an F cabin on Dolphin Deck-1926. It was quiet, near the faster, rear elevators and very smooth during a couple of rough sea days. The cabins are the same, you are just lower down. We have been on higher decks, better level cabins, on the Rotterdam but this was just fine. Some of the people up higher on the ship had a much rougher ride than we did.

We were on the Amsterdam's repositioning cruise across the Atlantic. We were in an F cabin on Dolphin Deck-1926. It was quiet, near the faster, rear elevators and very smooth during a couple of rough sea days. The cabins are the same, you are just lower down. We have been on higher decks, better level cabins, on the Rotterdam but this was just fine. Some of the people up higher on the ship had a much rougher ride than we did.

Most definitely, midship on the lower decks is the very best place to be on a rough crossing. My wife and I have good sea legs so we are not sick anywhere. On the rough crossing of the Atlantic in May, we were on a lower deck mid-ship. When it was very rough one morning, we walked about the ship on purpose to see the differences between upper and lower decks and being forward or aft. Very noticeable differences and many of the "upscale" passengers on the upper decks were wishing they had our cabin for the crossing and did not hestitate to mention this to us.

Although my wife and I did not need any sea-sick medication (since we are never, ever seasick) many passengers and crew members did.

Archived