Purchasing wine in the Baltic Ports

I'm curious to hear what responses you'll get. I wanted to buy some Russian wine last year -- I'd heard from a couple of sources that Georgian wines were pretty decent. So I asked our Den Rus guide to make a special stop at a wine seller. It was quite a nice store. The owner made some recommendations and I asked my guide if she thought these were good. She said, "Yes, it's of the quality that I would take to my boyfriend's mother if I were invited to her house for dinner."

I bought a couple bottles each of red and white. Both of them were pretty awful! I guess maybe she didn't like her boyfriend's mother very much....;)

In CPH where we stayed one night:

The wines that are available are mostly French / Italian / German / South American.

Grocery Stores had wines of all price ranges with many on sale.

Magazin (Department Store off Stroget): Had high-end wines on sale at good prices.

On Stroget, there were two wine stores -- one was just high priced and the other had a range of very good wines at good prices. They even recommended an excellent restaurant for lunch! I don't remember their names but I think the better one was near the Rundtower. /Sultan

There is a wine shop in Dubrovnik where we picked up an inexpensive bottle. It was quite good for the cost.

There are some fantastic Croatian wines!............though I don't remember Croatia being in the Baltic!! ;)

Archived