dinner in Seward

mumom95

Anyone have recommendations for a decent place to eat in Seward? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, but will have a car. We don't want real pricey or fancy, just a nice meal. Thanks for any help.

The Salmon Bake on Exit Glacier Road has a nice rustic feel with good food at a reasonable price.

Harbor Dinner Club just reopened above the Elks club downtown after relocating. They have been locals' favorite for like 25 years.

Thorn's Showcase Lounge has the best halibut in town, large bowl can feed 2 for $20.

I eat at the Showcase every trip since I have to have halibut every day. :)

I like Rays, excellent food, but on the pricey side. Worth it for me, however.

Chinooks, almost next door, is also great food.

Thorn's is located downtown, a block up from the Sealife center on the right hand side next to the barber shop.

I don't like Ray's because they are spendy, slow service, small food portions esp for the price. The decor is nice and the location in the small boat harbor makes it popular.

Thanks again for all of the replys. One question I have is, do these places serve something other than fish. I love seafood like shrimp, lobster, crab and so on, but I don't like fish. My husband likes fish, so I don't mind going to places that specialize in that, I just want to make sure that isn't all they serve.

They all serve a varied menu. Thorn's has daily specials along with steak and ribs that are great. Apollo's and Christo's have pizza, burgers, Italian, Greek, Mexican. Oriental Garden and Peking both have lunch buffets.

I wish Anchorage had a Red Lobster or Olive Garden. :(

Anyone have recommendations for a decent place to eat in Seward? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, but will have a car. We don't want real pricey or fancy, just a nice meal. Thanks for any help.

Boy, do I have a place for you, if you like home made food and desserts.It is called the Le Barn Appetit. Its been in Seward since 1987. We had some dessert there friday June 2, 2006.. blueberry crepes and rubarb crepes.. this was the rare sweet rhubarb that tastes like apples. Full of whipped creme.. home made.. some folks had the smoked salmon veggie crepes for dinner, before they had their desserts.

Belgium waffles are HUGE as well.Yvon is from Belgium originally and is cantankerous, bawdy at times HE is.. so if ya do not mind a little bawdy with your meal.. make this a must do in Seward;

It is located off the old exit glacier road.

Thanks so much jmcat fort the suggestion. We'll be staying at River Valley Cabins which is just 1/4 mile from Le Barn Appetit. I now know where we'll be eating or at least going for coffee and desert while we're staying there! I've also heard the Salmon Bake is really good and quite Alaskan, so we'll be eating there as well!

Thanks so much jmcat fort the suggestion. We'll be staying at River Valley Cabins which is just 1/4 mile from Le Barn Appetit. I now know where we'll be eating or at least going for coffee and desert while we're staying there! I've also heard the Salmon Bake is really good and quite Alaskan, so we'll be eating there as well!

Let me know how ya liked it :)

The night we were in seward Ray's was jumping. Christo's was a little pricey for most things, so we ordered a reasonably priced pizza which turned out to be gi-normous. Portabella mushrooms and pepperoni. Yum!

My wife was also craving chips and salsa, so we ordered this as an appetizer. Homemade salsa, and they just kept bringing it....

So if you want pizza and salsa, a big vote of approval for Christo's- on the corner, almost across the street from the sea life center.

We ate at Apollos both nights we were in Seward. The Athenian Chicken is wonderful. We also sampled gyros and Italian. My son ordered the Athenian chicken the first night and the other 3 of us wanted to go back so we could have it the next night. Everything was very good. The pizza looked good, but we did not order it. They have seafood and fancy dishes also. something for every taste.

We had supper at Christos (sp?) Palace. Very good, but the service was extremely lacking! Our waiter was much, much more interested in 'attending' the waitresses than attending to our table. We're quite undemanding... but a friend's appetizer salad didn't arrive until after he reminded the waiter of it when his entree was delivered, and we never once had a drink refill offer. Our family of 4 ordered pizza, and when he only brought out 3 plates, he looked at us, said, 'I guess you need 4 plates', I answered, 'yes, please'. He proceeded to disappear... never to return until time to place the check on the table. My 18yo ended up using the pizza pan for his plate. Our table (of 7) spent around $150 for one meal. The poor service for that pricey of a meal is something to laugh about now...

We had about the same experience at the Sourdough Mining Company (Anchorage) for lunch one day.

Maybe it's just us???:eek:

Oh well... a little bad service doesn't spoil a vacation... :) Most of the time our meals were made in the RV, and I can't say service was 5 star there, either...:D. After all, this mom was on vacation!!!

We had about the same experience at the Sourdough Mining Company (Anchorage) for lunch one day.

Maybe it's just us???:eek:

Oh well... a little bad service doesn't spoil a vacation... :) Most of the time our meals were made in the RV, and I can't say service was 5 star there, either...:D. After all, this mom was on vacation!!!

I hope not. :) But I've eaten many times at the Mining Co. never had bad service and their halibut and fritters are a highlight. But main reason for this stop is the Wildberry store- my "orders" have gotten so significant, I may start charging my family "freight". :)

Archived