Hello

Host Mama

Hi everyone,

Thought I would take just a second of your time to say Hello. You may be wondering....Who on earth is this person? Just to get you acquainted with me a bit...Ive been around Cruise Critic for a very long time, and hosted the Cruise Critic Chat on AOL for many years. I am thrilled to be joiining you here on the 55+ board. You'll be seeing more of me in the future, and will learn more about me as the days go by. Oh, and I do qualify to be part of this board:-)

I'll be throwing in some "Mama Sez" threads from time to time...Hope you enjoy!

Host Mama

• 1 year later...

Hi Host Mama:

Welcome to CC! I know you'll be able to help a lot of cruisers out there.:) I'm looking forward to the "Mama Sez"....

My mom (now 77 years old) is going on her first cruise on 9/9 (Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, five days). This will be my 13th cruise with RCI. I'm "mom proofing" my mother which has been a riot. Mom and I are opposite on vacations, except for shopping, so there has been bribery involved from both sides. :D I know she's excited and nervous at the same time so I'm doing everything possible to make her first cruise a wonderful experience.

I know you'll help a lot of people on this board and great to have you on CC!

Sea ya!

Hi Trish,

And thanks for the warm welcome. My Mom and I are also complete opposites when it comes to activities. My Mother, ever the lady, and me, always the tom boy! Its always a wonder as to how she raised me, and we are so very different. I love the sun and water, she prefers the shade and you couldnt pay her to get her hair wet! However, cruising is the perfect fit for a family with very different perceptions of a vacation. For approximately 10 years, we took a family cruise. My Mother, my Aunt, my brother, his wife, and hubby and me. And now that she is no longer able to cruise, some of the most precious memories are of our time together. All so very different connected by the common bond of a love of cruising. Taking time out of very busy lives to come together, and sit and share family stories, eat meals together, share a tour together, or just sit and BE together. Oh yes, and one thing I did inherit from her was the shopping gene.

Mama sez, "Take time for each other. You won't be sorry!"

Ann (aka Host Mama)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ann (Host Mama):

Sorry that I didn't respond to you sooner.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is completely opposite of my mom. The shopping gene was always there and I do top my mother on that one. I wear her out at the mall! Daughter was trained well on that one! LOL

My mom will not get her hair wet, no way in heck so I can relate to that.

Since Explorer has so many activities I think that it will pass the time very quickly and she'll enjoy them. Now if I can stay up late at night I'll be doing ok! LOL

I'm happy to read that you have wonderful memories with your family, especially your mom. Those are the days to be treasured forever and I'm doing that now with my mom. I lost my father almost three years ago and DH/I were going to take them on a short cruise for their 40th anniversary. Sad to say it never took place. Now I'm trying to make up that time with my mom and hoping that she'll get hooked on cruising like I did.

Your quote is perfect and that's what I'm doing!

Sea ya!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mama,

I am looking forward to your insight on being 50+ AND cruising with elder loved ones. In June we are crusing to Bermuda with Mom (80), Aunts and Uncle (78 + 76), dh, young adult kids, brother and wife, cousins and 3 year old. We are a diverse group indeed. Any words of wisdom for making this a memorable time besides staying positive?

Terri

Hi Terri,

We started cruising with my Aunt and Mother in 1994. There were 6 of us,

Auntie, Mother, my brother, his wife, my hubby, and me. We all cruised together for 7 years. Ages...50's to 80's.

Ive not been to Bermuda, so I cant help you with the 'what to do's' there.

But we generally planned a tour in the morning, and then the ladies would return to the ship, and us 'youngsters' would hit a beach. Hubby and my brother both are golfers, so at times it would be just the girls touring or shopping while the guys went to a golf course.

We always had dinner together in the dining room. Make that a special time. We have had a lot of 'remember when's' while eating dinner. This was the only meal of the day that we made sure we spent together.

Because we were free to do what we wanted, and no one was forced to do something they didnt care about, it always worked for us.

Enjoy your time together as a family!

Ann

Aka Host Mama

Archived