Formal Nights Tux or Suit?

Portrait24

Crossing on QM2 from Southampton 18 July. For formal nights is tuxedo recommended or will dark suit do or are both needed?

Tux. (Dark suit will "do" but you don't want to just "do" do you?)

Have a great crossing.

Tux. (Dark suit will "do" but you don't want to just "do" do you?)

Have a great crossing.

God forbid! A Dark suit? Only if it is made of denim!

(Please look up facetious in the dictionary)

Seriously, do it up big. Rent the tux, or buy online, You can get a decent tux cheap- If you go to a good size rental company, they often sell "gently used" rentals. These are a more sturdy fabric than the finer ones, but I suspect only a tailor would know. Someone with refinement and class might know, but would never EVER comment or tell. These usually have adjustments on the sides in case your weight changes during the year (or even, unbelieveably, while on the cruise!!!<G>) You only go around once in this life (As a friend says in her sig line- there is no rewind in this life!)

So yes, a cargo freighter with passenger space will do, but after all, you will be on a Cunarder!~

Karie,

who doesn't judge, but always dresses!

I went searching and found what appear to be pretty good tuxes at this place - finetuxedos.com. Their website says the tuxes are usually $400-$600 but they charge $169. Add a tie, shirt and cummerbund and it should still be under $250.

Quite a deal. And better than renting. This way, you can jump in the pool on the last night and not worry about ruining the rental.:)

I think that it depends on what one is comfortable in and what kind of money they can spend. We've done quite a few cruises and hubby has always worn a suit.

That said, we looked at each other this time and said "if we are going to keep cruising, it's time to spring for a nice Tux". We ended up buying the tux and all accessories (cumberbun, cuff links, button covers, suspenders, tux shirt, pocket hanky), 4 shirits and matching ties and another sports coat and barely got out of there under $1,000.

I was far more lucky. Found a beautiful gown on sale for $50 (unbelievable) and then got another 1/2 off because the zipper was broken. So I paid a total of $25 and then paid another $80 to have the gown remade to fit me. Still one of the best bargains I've found to date.

One or two rentals and you are ahead. When you return, you will be surprised at the number of events where you elected to wear a suit because you did not have a tux...so you might find you're using it even more. You would not be out of place in a suit, but why not treat yourself.

Thanks for advice on buying/renting tux, but already have one. Issue is which to bring and want to pack light as doing prior cruise which requires only casual wear. Usually bring tux for cruises, but wore dark suit on New Year's Carib. Princess cruise and observed more suits than tuxes. Also observed casual wear on formal night in dining room on Carib. Princess! Want to know from those who cruised recently on QM2 what they observed. Also, how many formal nights on crossing?

Thanks for advice on buying/renting tux, but already have one. Issue is which to bring and want to pack light as doing prior cruise which requires only casual wear. Usually bring tux for cruises, but wore dark suit on New Year's Carib. Princess cruise and observed more suits than tuxes. Also observed casual wear on formal night in dining room on Carib. Princess! Want to know from those who cruised recently on QM2 what they observed. Also, how many formal nights on crossing?

We are on the crossing right now (as I write this onboard). Men are wearing dark suits or tuxedos (but not both) for the formal nights -- i.e., there are three formal nights and most men write the same outfit for all three nights.

However, I've been told that on the crossings that go to Hamburg, there are four formal nights.

One exception -- the Scots on-board get away with murder on formal nights -- I have seen the most outrageous combinations of kilts with funny colored tuxedos worn by Scots -- and they are NEVER reminded to respect the dress code, whereas any American or other European onboard not abiding by the dress code are reminded to do so.

[quote name=

One exception -- the Scots on-board get away with murder on formal nights -- I have seen the most outrageous combinations of kilts with funny colored tuxedos worn by Scots -- and they are NEVER reminded to respect the dress code, whereas any American or other European onboard not abiding by the dress code are reminded to do so.[/quote]

Who reminds people to respect the dress code?

Elsewhere on these boards, there are great laments that people are allowed to get away with such variations in dress that holidays are ruined!!!

A kilt is formal dress as far as I know and although I am not Scottish I cannot imagine a true Scot wearing a 'funny coloured tuxedo'. I have seen men in tartan trews with the appropriate jacket looking resplendent on formail evenings too.

heywood

Crossing on QM2 from Southampton 18 July. For formal nights is tuxedo recommended or will dark suit do or are both needed?

First of all, don't fool yourself, EVERY night is formal night on the QM2. You will need the tux for nights requiring a tux and the dark suit too for other nights. You'll see less formal on the first and last night but you'll also see a LOT of formal then too.

Second, if you are traveling with any ladies, they need the very nicest formalwear they can come up with every night also. The very least would be a business-like outfit for the first and last night.

Anything else will not do and if you believe anything less will do and have any fashion sense you will be out of place otherwise.

Sorry to anyone that offends but that IS the reality of the situation and not really open to much interpretation.

My personal opinion, another matter, is that this is a good thing...as long as you are prepared.

...and we were in steerage, I have no idea what the nice people in the upper classes wore other than the one time I snuck in past the bouncer and they were all formalized too

Anything else will not do and if you believe anything less will do and have any fashion sense you will be out of place otherwise.

Sorry to anyone that offends but that IS the reality of the situation and not really open to much interpretation.

It doesn't offend me - I'm just pleased that there is still a formal cruise line:)

First of all, don't fool yourself, EVERY night is formal night on the QM2. You will need the tux for nights requiring a tux and the dark suit too for other nights. You'll see less formal on the first and last night but you'll also see a LOT of formal then too.

Second, if you are traveling with any ladies, they need the very nicest formalwear they can come up with every night also. The very least would be a business-like outfit for the first and last night.

Caution: Any use of the word "you" below is non-specific. I like you Chris. You have a good head on your shoulders and this is not aimed at you.

Chris,

This does not offend me in the least!

It basically describes what to expect. It does not publicly thrash anyone who does differently, for whatever reason, including lost luggage. It does not in any way shape or form maintain that anyone who DARES to wear denim on the ship is a boor and should be heaved overboard. It doesn't intimate that someone would be ruining YOUR vacation- only that THEY might feel out of place. I think that is the main difference here. If I have been forewarned that this is the standard of dress and choose to do otherwise, or I am ignorant of the expected attire, it is only I who should be embarrassed. It should not "deeply offend" anyone. It is truly none of their business. If anything, perhaps they could take a friendly, "dear, were you aware,..." and offer to help me find something more suitable, if possible. Or reach out to me, with the kindest thoughts in mind. That I either did not know, or for some reason it was not possible for me to dress properly (such as lost luggage). Judging me and insisting it is an affront to them it balderdash... or should be! It is self-centered. When someone makes it seem as though MY fashion faux pas is a deliberate affront to them, well, then I think you are being much too self-absorbed and a little too impressed with your place on this earth. THAT is my point!

It IS snobbism to think that YOUR feelings are, oh so much more important than mine. That is, and has always been the point. I might think something you are doing or saying is tacky. I should keep it to myself. Anything else would be churlish, rude and EXTREMELY low class!

BTW, I will be wearing my finery as always- I rarely even do dressy pantsuits, as they rarely look good on me. I WOULD, however wear something appropriate, such as Caribbean, on Caribbean themed night. Personally, I am offended by those who do not dress to the ANNOUNCED theme nights. (Not really- I am just showing all how silly it is for anyone to be so self-important as to think that their opinions and needs and desires should trump the person's own opinions needs and desires. Who died and made YOU important? Who appointed YOU arbiter of fine taste? Whatever possessed you to think that YOUR opinion somehow matters!) This whole thread, to me, is not about clothing, but about attitudes. Self-absorbed, rude, ego-centric, "I know better than you do what you should be wearing" attitudes. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is about as low-class as you can get. Regardless of what you are wearing. It's all about people having the attitude that they are somehow "better" than someone else. Attitudes, IMHO, are much more important than dress. Kindness is much more classy than opinionated disapproval, nose held high inthe air, <sniff>

If you put lipstick (or a tuxedo/gown) on a pig, is he or she still not a pig? Don't be a pig. Mind what YOU, yourself wear, and let others worry about their own attire. Be the best YOU you can be, And I will take care of trying to be the best ME that I can be. I will judge for myself what *I* deem appropriate, thank you. Your opinion does not matter one whit to me, and like PB, I might be tempted to be in your face by wearing tennis shoes with a gown or shorts with a tux jacket just to show you what an idiot YOU are. And *I* will be having fun, while YOU sit there miserable in your own pool of class. That is her point. Yet some of you chose to immediately trash a new person to these boards and tell her she is tacky,. Shame on you. You rude, boorish ones! You owe her an apology. And a fine "Welcome to these pages. I hope you will have a marvelous cruise experience!" Not a "you're not good enough to sail with the likes of US"

Karie,

who has had about as much as she wants to take of people who think that theirs don't stink. Trust me, folks, it does! More than you will ever know. A little humility could do some of you some good. Now go hang your heads, those of you who were mean.

Oh my - now I'm all of a mither! My husband was going to take a tuxedo and a light coloured suit (as he has on others but not Cunard). If we have to take a dark suit as well (!) it might cause a bit of bother. We have to take clothes for a 2 week holiday afterwards - mainly casual - and as we are flying back to England we have to watch the luggage allowances!

Whilst I am of the belief that it has nothing to do with anyone else- on the other hand we don't want to feel embarrassed and out of place.

We only want to enjoy ourselves!

heywood

I just got off the transatlantic westbound. The gentlemen who wore tuxedos or dark business suits on the formal nights generally wore a sports jacket and dress trousers on the informal nights. This is what I did also and therefore needed to pack only my formal outfit. I wore the informal clothes to fly into Southampton from Edinburgh and board the ship (which saved me having to pack it).

For the casual night, most men wore just a nice shirt with a collar and their dress trousers. I wore a shirt with the same trousers that I wore on the informal nights. The people who sat at our table dressed as we did -- and both couples are famous CUNARD cruise passengers who travel very often. I cruise often also but not on CUNARD.

One lady and gentleman dressed very formally on the informal night -- believe me, they were the ones who stuck out like a sore thumb.

We had to pack also to look out for the luggage allowances. My wife and I were both able to pack with one large piece of luggage plus one hand luggage.

Again, Travel-to-go expressed my thoughts very well. It's not the wish to fly in the face of tradition or an actual dress code or request, rather it was the preceived attitude of those who went crazy over the mention of denium, day or night.

Now, all that said, a very serious question: I do have a black jacket made to look like a tux jacket, but (oh no, here comes that word again) it's made of denium. Does that mean I leave it home instead of wearing on one of the non-formal nights?

Now, all that said, a very serious question: I do have a black jacket made to look like a tux jacket, but (oh no, here comes that word again) it's made of denium. Does that mean I leave it home instead of wearing on one of the non-formal nights?

Ah - Denium will be fine - it's denim that drives everyone crazy!

Straight from the ship's Daily Programme:

The Dress for tonight is Casual: For gentlemen, no jacket is required, a collared shirt with slacks is perfectly appropriate.

The Dress for tonight is Formal: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for gentlemen.

The Dress for tonight is Informal: For gentlement, jacket and tie is required.

On the Transatlantic, it was Casual, Formal, Formal, Informal, Formal, Casual.

Thanks toffeegirl and Northern Neighbour

I knew that from the brochure but according to these boards that means nothing!! He'll go ahead with his lovely lighter coloured suit on the informal evenings - we can take that with us on the rest of our travels. We have made arrangements to store our other fineries in NY for our week's visiting elsewhere.

(Sometimes I feel as though QM2 attracts the control freaks in our society)

Thanks toffeegirl and Northern Neighbour

I knew that from the brochure but according to these boards that means nothing!! He'll go ahead with his lovely lighter coloured suit on the informal evenings - we can take that with us on the rest of our travels. We have made arrangements to store our other fineries in NY for our week's visiting elsewhere.

(Sometimes I feel as though QM2 attracts the control freaks in our society)

Hi

Can you tell me where you have arranged to store your luggage in New York and for how long.

We are on the 17th.August Eastbound following our vacation in Florida and would like to store one suitcase between 5th and 16th.August.

Regards

Chriis and Pam

Hi Chris and Pam,

Sorry I can't be of help-we are using the same hotel for two separate stays - beginning and end of an extended vacation after the cruise so they will keep it for us.

Hope you can sort something out - perhaps someone on these boards will come up with some ideas.

have a great break

heywood

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, since my maid, laundress, butler and valet will not be coming with us on the World Cruise, we will have to tend to our own baggage ourselves. MY idea of a vacation encompassing 81 days DOES NOT include dressing formally EVERY night.

The old saying "it is better to be underdressed than overdressed" makes sense.

I prefer the little black dress to the overblown, gaudy, sequined things.

Hi Chris and Pam,

Sorry I can't be of help-we are using the same hotel for two separate stays - beginning and end of an extended vacation after the cruise so they will keep it for us.

Hope you can sort something out - perhaps someone on these boards will come up with some ideas.

have a great break

heywood

Ok thanks anyway. we are staying at a hotel at Newark airport on the way out and they maybe will help

Hpe u enjoy your trip as well

Chris and Pam

Archived