Formal Nights Tux or Suit?

Portrait24

First of all, don't fool yourself, EVERY night is formal night on the QM2. You will need the tux for nights requiring a tux and the dark suit too for other nights. You'll see less formal on the first and last night but you'll also see a LOT of formal then too.

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, since my maid, laundress, butler and valet will not be coming with us on the World Cruise, we will have to tend to our own baggage ourselves. MY idea of a vacation encompassing 81 days DOES NOT include dressing formally EVERY night.

The old saying "it is better to be underdressed than overdressed" makes sense.

I prefer the little black dress to the overblown, gaudy, sequined things.

Bravo for the advice given in the last sentence above. My wife says no one can fault anyone for wearing basic black that is simple but elegant. You will be among the best dressed on-board.!

Ok thanks anyway. we are staying at a hotel at Newark airport on the way out and they maybe will help

Hpe u enjoy your trip as well

Chris and Pam

Lots of hotels at Newark Airport give you free parking so maybe they would give you free luggage storage (or store it for a modest fee). I would either telephone the hotel to verify this or (if they have a web site e-mail address listed) send them an e-mail to ask and get confirmation in writing. Then if they do not answer the e-mail, telephone them or write them by "snail mail" if you have time.

Crossing on QM2 from Southampton 18 July. For formal nights is tuxedo recommended or will dark suit do or are both needed?

Hi we to are the 18th july crossing, and having listened to everyone on here and taken notice, oredered a tux,

i am hoping to use it on the some other nights as well as the formal nights, (is that the norm)

portriait can i steer you in the direction of

www.dinnerjackets.com a great deal ( go for the wool) and good quality, i got mine and found it much better than M7 S moss bros or some london tailors

"I thought the saying was better over than under"

The guideline, should you be not quite sure how to dress, is to wear something good and understated, rather than go trying to look like something that would glow in the dark.

A little black dress, and a very good piece of jewelry takes a woman anywhere. Someone in sequins, with a neckline down to there, when every other woman is wearing a suit is far far over dressed.

During the May 17th westbound transatlantic crossing, I wore my tuxedo jacket with my black Utilikilt (http://www.utilikilts.com/)

Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos that evening - did anyone else on the crossing snap photos of us?

Queries from onlookers included:

Whether or not I was Scottish: I'm not - I'm from Seattle and the kilt is a local product.

What I was wearing underneath: Answers ranged from, "Madam, I would not think to ask you what sort of undergarments you were wearing ..." to "I can't recall - care to check for me?"

Just returned from the May 29 transatlantic crossing. Dined in Queens Grill, and I must say that I was surprised by the number of people who dressed informally on formal or semi-formal nights. Even Jane Russell wore a light pink running suit, pink socks, and pink sneakers on the semi-formal night. Most wore tuxedos and gowns on formal nights, but I'd venture to guess that at least 10-15% didn't in Queen's Grill. And certainly around the ship on formal nights, almost anything could be seen.

My advice--one tux or one dark suit should be enough. But as previously stated by others, why not go the tux route if you are sailing TA on Cunard? Based on what I had read previously on these boards, I didn't think my gowns were dressy enough--but they were. For the ladies, no one is going to even notice if you wear the same thing twice, so pack lightly!:)

During the May 17th westbound transatlantic crossing, I wore my tuxedo jacket with my black Utilikilt (http://www.utilikilts.com/)

Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos that evening - did anyone else on the crossing snap photos of us?

Queries from onlookers included:

Whether or not I was Scottish: I'm not - I'm from Seattle and the kilt is a local product.

What I was wearing underneath: Answers ranged from, "Madam, I would not think to ask you what sort of undergarments you were wearing ..." to "I can't recall - care to check for me?"

Knowing you were from the Seattle area, I wondered if you might have had a utilikilt. In fact, I think you mentioned it once before. I think they are totally cool. (In more ways than one, I would venture to say!) And they say construction workers love them.

I would love to see you in your Utilikilt, Wendell. Telll, me, what did Hobbitt wear to set off your Utilikilt? Marc has matching cummberbunds and ties to go with my gowns.

Our regional "phlocking" (That would be parrothead function) this year, up in Maine at the end of March decided to have all of the security volunteers dress in full regalia. They were authentic , right down to the ...er... Blue ribbons..

("I don't know where ya been, Laddie, but I can see ya won first prize!")

Karie,

who knows full well what a Scotsman wears under his kilt. After all, amongst the Cherokee and English blood lies some Scottish, Welsh, Dutch, Irish, and perhaps a bit of what we southerners call "Black Dutch"

When I wore my Utilikilt and tuxedo jacket, Hobbit wore her black leather tailcoat with black leather trousers - we made quite an impression, I think.

The "blue ribbon" reminds me of the night my friend Cort wore several "glow sticks" tucked up inside his Utilikilt - we were in a dark bar and people passing would stop and stare at the eerie green glow emanating from inside his kilt and illuminating his shoes and the ground below.

Hi Karie,

We must have made an impression because many people asked both of us about the kilt on Wendell (the man) and the black leather tuxedo with tails on me (the woman).

Hobbit

Queen Mary 2 May 17th 2006

Hi Karie,

We must have made an impression because many people asked both of us about the kilt on Wendell (the man) and the black leather tuxedo with tails on me (the woman).

Hobbit

Queen Mary 2 May 17th 2006

Ah, yes! I had forgotten about the Black leather tux. Y'all are the coolest!

I like doing the unexpected. hey! No one could caim you weren't dressed formal! (He didn't wear the workman's utilitkilt did he? <LOL>

Karie,

Who wore her white tailcoat one night on the January Panama cruise.

[B][FONT=Arial]How about wearing these, they are only 20 bucks and come as large as XXXX Large.[/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Arial]Black Short Sleeve Tuxedo T Shirt[/FONT][/B]

[IMG]http://www.tuxedo-t-shirts.com/images/tuxedo_short_sleeve_black.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Wendell']I've attached a photo of me in my utilikilt - let's see if it comes through.[/quote]

Gee, Wendell, I dunno! I thnk it makes you look fat!
You lookled much sleeker in the bike shorts in.. was it Austria? Switzerland? Okay- so I don't remember you wearing bike shorts. (You know they dry out very fast for the kind of traveling y'all did!)

Karie,
Who definitely would NOT look good in bike shorts!

P.S. It looks great especially paired with the tux jacket!
I'd love to see Hobbit's tux! I bet y'all made a great pair with your "reverse dressing!" HEy! They can't complain! It was definitely formal!

[quote name='Wendell']I've attached a photo of me in my utilikilt - let's see if it comes through.[/quote]

I think that's quite acceptable - even if it doesn't meet with most people's thoughts on what would make "traditional" evening attire.

Yep, day 29 has photos of me and Hobbit in bike shorts in Neuschwanstein - [URL="http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm"]http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm[/URL]

Funny story: Hobbit and I went with our friends Andrea and Jerry to the Utilikilt store in Seattle. I had to try on several before I found one that fit and, once I had it on, I said (in a loud voice), "Hey, Jerry, does this black one make my ass look big?"

Several of the men and all of the women in the store broke up laughing.

[quote name='Wendell']Yep, day 29 has photos of me and Hobbit in bike shorts in Neuschwanstein - [URL="http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm"]http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm[/URL]

Funny story: Hobbit and I went with our friends Andrea and Jerry to the Utilikilt store in Seattle. I had to try on several before I found one that fit and, once I had it on, I said (in a loud voice), "Hey, Jerry, does this black one make my ass look big?"

Several of the men and all of the women in the store broke up laughing.[/quote]

Actually,
Imeant to put a <G> there. That was exactly what I was meaning to say!

Sorry it came off a bit awkward!

Actually, I think it is most suitable for you!
I'd love to meet you and Hobbitt some day (Gee, does she have a real name, or is one of those lost forgotten lore things,<LOL>)

You sound like a pretty fun couple!
It really does look great on you!

Karie,
Who STILL wants to see a pic of Hobbitt in her leather tux!

[COLOR=black][quote name='Wendell'] [URL="http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm"][COLOR=#800080]http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay29.htm[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/quote][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Nice pictures - it's just unfortunate that, as the page loads any you see the top half of the picture first, you're not sure what you're looking at! :D [/COLOR]

"Second, if you are traveling with any ladies, they need the very nicest formalwear they can come up with every night also. The very least would be a business-like outfit for the first and last night."

Pray tell, HOW would one ever pack enough for the 81 day World Cruise?
We are booked on this Jan. 2007.

Coy860, Chris is referring to dress on a crossing which is very formal. In your World Cruise, you will have lots of port days which will be much less formal. You will also have many formal nights. But not every night on your World Cruise is going to be formal. You will also have access to the self service laundry rooms which would make your trip much easier. Relax and get ready for a wonderful voyage.

Archived