7 Mile Beach in GC...Where to go on your own?

Hey All!

I was wondering if anyone has went to the 7 Mile Beach on their own? How much for cab fare? Where should we go? I know there are lot's of hotels and condos and such and was wondering is this public or private? Can a person just plop down wherever? What Hotel is the RCCL excursion for the beach? It is not listed on the excursion sheet. It's only 19.00, but I would like to know the hotel to make sure this is worth the money to use facilities, chair, etc. Thanks for the help!

XO
Kimberlie

All beaches on Grand Cayman are free. If you are going to use a hotel's beach area, the charge may include the lounge chairs and possibly drinks, so you should check into that.

There is a real public beach area. There are no lounge chairs, you'd have to use your towels, but it's easily accessible by cab or by the public bus which I think costs around $1.5 - $2.00 a person - can anyone clarify that cost who's been there recently??? The public beach area has these little huts, I' guess you'd call them. They have thatched roofs and open walls, and inside are benches where you can leave your stuff to go swimming. There's also a bathroom area near the beginning of the public beach area and there are faucets where you can rinse the sand off your feet and legs. There may be a shower, but I've never used it.

Hope this helps a little.
Sharon

Just walk up to one of the cab drivers and tell him that you want to go to a place on 7 mile beach that has food and drinks. It is only a few dollars each way. We went to a place across the street from the Holiday Inn, I think. We sat at a table in a little caffee and went swimming on the beach between drinks.

I was in Grand Cayman in Jan. It cost $4 pp each way to the beach. The cab drivers will fill the van with beach goers. We were dropped at the beach across from the Marriott Courtyard. You can plop your towel on the beach, or rent a chaise for $10 pp and that includes a cold drink. Water/soda. There is a restaurant on the beach thought I didn't look at the menu. Also bathroom facilites. The beach was beautiful. It's not worth buying the excursion from RCCL, they charge $19 pp and you still have to pay for the cab. When coming back to town the cabs will not leave until they are full, so if you want to go back early the ride will be $20 for the cab. I don't know about bus fees. Hope this helps.

I agree with the previous poster. It was about $8 per couple each way to the beach across from the old Holiday Inn, which is now the Marriott Courtyard. It is $10 each to rent a lounge chair which includes the cold beverage. There is a taxi que all day, so no worries about getting back to the port in town, just allow plenty of time for traffic and tendering.
Bon Voyage

A year ago they were using the Royal Palms for the excursion. There is nothing extra there for the money except more people (IMHO). When they fill up the taxis ($4/pp sometimes $3 for kids) they usually ask which part/hotel you want to be dropped off at. We knew we wanted to go to the beach by the Holiday Inn (last August) so told the driver. The others in the van with us (from the other 2 ships docked there) didn't know where they wanted to go. After we told them what we had heard about the section of beach we wanted to go to, and the driver further confirmed it was nice and not very crowded, they went there too. It was beautiful!! Here is a link to one of our pictures from there.
[url="http://community.webshots.com/photo/127626750/127977101mMINEv"]http://community.webshots.com/photo/127626750/127977101mMINEv[/url]
We plan on going back to the same place again when we sail on the Mariner.

WE have stayed in Cayman for a week the last 4 years on 7 mile beach.Most of our stays have been at the Westin. They don't like you to use their chairs, as they are reserved for the guests who are spending lots of cha-ching to stay there. Place your towels closer to the water than the hotel as that is private beach. You can buy drinks and food there and it WILL cost plenty so just be aware. You can also just place your towel down just north of the Westin in front of the Govenor's mansion. If you like to snorkel,and the water is calm, just go out past the first set of ropes. almost to the second and you are at Govenors Reef. This can be a nice snorkeling experience. But if you feel adventurous, when you get off the ship walk north to a bus stop sign, then take the bus (for just a few dollars) to cemetary reef. take the walkway on the side of the cemetary and go down to the beach. It is a great spot for snorkeling. There is a porta potty, but no food. You would have to take the bus when done and go south to the hotels or into Georgetown to eat. You could also bring some goodies with you to snack on. Cayman is safe, but don't leave stuff out unwatched, just as you wouldn't in any city or town around where you live. Have a great time, Cayman is outstanding!

[url]http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/FreeBeaches.htm[/url]

Here's a link someone else posted that is most helpful. It explains that all beaches in Grand Cayman are free and public, however hotels may charge you to use chairs and encourage you to buy food. You are not permitted to use the pool facilities etc. The link also explians the beach areas in all parts of Grand Cayman. Check it out!

Those maps show the remote beaches for the most part. You can't miss 7 mile as it is basically the west coast of Grand Cayman. Best part starts at Royal Palms and goes north from there...absolutely beautiful water!

BopRN (and anyone else interested).....

Yes, you could rent chairs there. We let all the early "rushers" off the ship, had a late breakfast/early lunch then went ashore. We got to the area aound 12:30 or so and some people that were ready to leave offered us their chairs (wouldn't take any money from us). So, we didn't even pay to get some chairs. There were a lot of trees around (back from the water) so there was plenty of shade as well.

There were also restrooms, showers and a "restaurant" there. It was really nice!

[color=darkorange][b]There is a great restaurant called "The Treehouse" (formerly the "Almond Tree House" which has it's own little beach and the food is outstanding (and very reasonable) and it's right near 7 Mile Beach. If you take a cab, they'll know exactly where to take you. It's $4 per person each way.[/b][/color]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=purple]I second JumpingJackFlash's comments about Rum Point!!! :) We rented a car through the same outfit grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. There is a link to the avis rental car. We rented the cheapest for $43 flat rate (we included full insurance as most US ins cos won't pay for damages outside the US) They pick you up at the Blue Iguana, which is only a couple of blocks from the pier. Upon arrival at their counter at the airport (10 minute drive), come to find out they were out of the cheapest car. Drats! Wrong! We were upgraded to a Jeep, no extra charge!!!:p :D [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#800080]We drove the whole east side of the island, saw some gorgeous beach homes/condos and went to the lookout point at the Shipwreck of 10 sails. Now, that is pretty cool to see a ship that sunk in the 1800s with part of its body still poking up above water! :cool: We made our way to Rum Point by 10:30 am. Now, that place is a definitely a corona beach commercial, and talk about seclusion. Awesome! We did take a stingray snorkel tour from there (takes about 2 hours) through red sail sports. Rum Point is actually closer to the stingray sandbar than the excursions through georgetown. From georgetown, it takes about 45 minutes to get there, but from Rum Point, only about 15. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=3][color=#800080]Go to Rum Point!!! You won't regret it!!;) [/color][/size][/font]

Just to put you on notice on some "sleezy" cab driver...a couple years ago we took a cab to the 7 mile beach..this guy dropped us off a hotel entrance and were not allowed in unless we pay a entrance fee to the hotel (nothing was included except use of toilets)...it was cheaper going thru the ship's excursion!!
So beware of cab drivers!!!

(We have been to Cayman 5 times on cruises & also stayed in condo on 7 Mile twice for a week each.) Most cab drivers are not like that...

Just remember that the whole beach is public but you have to access it. There are public walkway accesses all along West Bay Rd. to 7 Mile Beach.

Be specific with the cabbie where you want to go:
Courtyard (formerly Holiday Inn) beach = fee & facilities
Cemetary Reef = no fee & no facilities & farther north; snorkel here.
Next to Governors House = no fee, no facilities, short walk to Westin

Royal Palms = no fee to enter, has facilities but beach there not as smooth as it is just a short walk to the north -- to get to nicer part of beach, turn right on beach & walk north equal to about 1-2 blocks to very nice tree-shaded smooth-sand beach area, but you have to sit on your beach towel, not a chair -- this spot is in front of a beautiful condo building.

Don't go to Beach Club or Hyatt! Go to right or left just a few condo bldgs & you will have a delightfully quiet beach, but no chairs!! (Use your beach towel.) Beach Club is where alot of ship's beach excursions go & it gets ridiculously crowded!! Beach Club next door to Hyatt; you can find sea-doos & other beach toys to rent here, plus snorkel/dive trips.

I prefer 7 Mile over Rum Point, but the latter is very nice too.

I am sooo glad I started this thread! I now have some great information! Thanks for including the Web shots and other links...it has helped me decide. I can't wait!! I love everything about cruising! Don't y'all? This is my first cruise with RCCL as I have been loyal only to Disney. I am really looking forward to it! Thanks again everybody and happy cruising!

XO
Kimberlie

The hotel that RCI uses is called the Beach Club Colony. We went there in March, and this is one of the hotels that charges for usage. There were roped off areas on the beach for the respective cruise lines. The day we were there, there were 2 Carnival ships, 1 NCL, one Princess, and the Nordic Empress.

It is very easy to get a cab as the pick up point is right off the tender dock. The cab fare was only a few dollars. Additionally, at the tender dock, there are dozens of people offering tours and beach excursion. In hindsight, I wish I used one of them rather than RCI.

Archived