Grace bay beach

Bermudalou

The only Grace Bay beach I'm aware is not on the island of Grand Turk. It's on the island of Providenciales (Provo for short). And it is FABULOUS! I've had a friend for 16 yrs. that lives on Provo. He'd begged me for years to come visit; but never did until last Dec. when I happened to be sailing on Crystal's Serenity. We made a port call at Grand Turk. I already knew that there wasn't much to excite me on G.T.; so I made a mad dash to the airport & took the 25 min. flight ($160/RT on a 10-12 seater) to Provo. They have flights that leave about every 90 mins. there & back on either Air Turks & Caicos or SkyKing. I'm so glad I did it. He drove me over about half of the island. There are areas with large supermarkets & other stores; areas w/ pastel colored shops/restaurants on secluded stretches of beach; fabulous & tacky little beach hut type seafood restaurants & the (ever growinig) condo/resort area of Grace Bay. When I came back to the ship & showed everyone my pictures, they were so jealous. Don't get me wrong.... the snorkeling/diving is great in Turks Islands. And the newly opened Cruise Center in G.T. (which was still under construction when I was there) looks like a fun "beach type" way to spend the day there. But there's not much else to do. If you are not cruising, then by all means fly to Provo & enjoy the great diversity the island has to offer. If you are cruising to G.T., you might prefer to play it safe & explore what little there is to do on island. Or, if you are a risk taker (like myself), be the first one off the ship & head to the airport asap. I had the advantage of knowing someone who could transport me around Provo. But you could probably hire a driver just as well. The trick is to give yourself enough time to soak in all the beauty there & still leave enough time to fly back to G.T. & make it to the ship in time. Good luck! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We have been staying in Provo for over 14 years and we think Grace Bay is the best beach we have ever been to and we have stayed on over 60 island and been on 27 cruises. If you get a chance go stay there it is stilll not over built. The government has been trying to control growth and had a plan from the beginning. One tip do not stay at Beaches. We have met more unhappy people who have stayed there. Lots of management issues we hear. Stay as a condo like Coral Gardens. (it is our most visited condo) We dive but there is a great snorkling park right in front of it. We have planned every time to fly over to the other islands and can never tear ourselves away. This year we are cruising and will finally see Grand Turk.

Archived