Sea life?

We were able to see several birds that were unfamilar to us. But we did not see any marine mammals. There are Eastern Atlantic Harbor Seals and Grey Seals in the Baltic but due to pollutions of various types their numbers are quite low. There are aslo some whales that live in the Baltics but again their numbers are very low. I have read that this is due to the fact that in many parts the Baltic will freeze over in winter. It also could be that we just didn't cruise in the areas that have large populations.

We tried walking around marinas while in port, as usually you will find some seals, but still had no luck.

If your looking for marine life I haven't found anything that beats Alaska. You would have to go out of your NOT to find wildlife there.

If you take a baltic cruise that includes Iceland, then you will see lots of sea life. We are taking a stopover in Iceland on our way to Copenhagen and plan to take a whale watching trip and maybe go to the nearby island that has tons of puffins and other creatures. We can't wait to visit Iceland and all its natural wonders with beautiful waterfalls, geysirs, volcano/lava fields, geothermal pools, and lush mountains.

Sorry, I sound like a commercial! But the photographs really do look so fantastic.

Archived