Just back from Pride of Hawai`i inaugural

bobnsandi

Every dessert we had was just divine, and a lot of them were from the buffet because we ate there more often than not. Wish I could have had every single one, but I've got plenty of extra pounds to show as it is! And my mouth is still watering for more of those delicious, flaky croissants and chocolate chip breakfast rolls.

It was great to meet a lot of the Cruise Critic members, and we truly enjoyed the royal treatment we received! Our AF mini-suite was wonderful, and our cabin stewardess, Carrie, was so nice, cheery, and efficient.

Haven't had a chance to read Kat's thread yet, but I will mention that we thoroughly enjoyed having the extra six nights at sea on this reposiitioning cruise--what a way to go!

Janice

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet--the Stardust Theater is VERY COLD!! The air conditioning comes up from vents on the back of each seat, and since I don't like "drafts" (or "fresh air" as my husband prefers to call it), I found it really annoying and always made sure to wear long pants and a jacket when going in there. So if you tend to be cold, too, be sure to have something for your shoulders.

There are no tables and no bar service in the Stardust; that was just fine with us, but it was kind of a surprise. It's completely theater-style seating with plush velvety seats and several balcony sections. I thought it was an unusually nice theater, except for the temperature.

And speaking of drinks, we were pleasantly surprised that we weren't being solicited to buy drinks all the time, as usually happened on other ships. The waiters were very unobtrusive.

originally posted by Vaneltino Rossi

how much will I pay (more or less) for a bottle of wine on board?

Brace yourself Vale. You'll be surprised for how much we pay for the stuff over here.:o On ships, it's even higher! Plus Americans are used to tipping a lot more than I found is expected in most of Europe. The norm is to tip 15% of the bill in a bar, on the beach, for a beer, just about any situation. --Just a different structure, but maybe a bit of a budget shock for the unsuspecting:D .

Here is a link to the wine list.

http://www.ncl.com/more/wine_list.htm

I usually stick to those around $22, $27, $32, and have found a few that I really enjoyed onboard.

I have not seen a beer card or an "all you can drink"-type equivalent.

Brace yourself Vale. You'll be surprised for how much we pay for the stuff over here.:o On ships, it's even higher! Plus Americans are used to tipping a lot more than I found is expected in most of Europe. The norm is to tip 15% of the bill in a bar, on the beach, for a beer, just about any situation. --Just a different structure, but maybe a bit of a budget shock for the unsuspecting:D .

Julie, you're always sweet and helpful.

Here we tip about 10% at a restaurant and basically nowhere else, you can leave some coins for the bartenders in a bar, but few will do it anyway, and yes, you'll tip something like 5/10 bucks when someone bring you your suitcase to your room.

In general I'll say that if no food and table service are involved we do not tip.

Here is a link to the wine list.

http://www.ncl.com/more/wine_list.htm

I usually stick to those around $22, $27, $32, and have found a few that I really enjoyed onboard.

Unfortunately I don't know american wines, and some italian I've seen on the list should cost about 7 rather then 30 $...:o

I have not seen a beer card or an "all you can drink"-type equivalent.

:(

I don't want to go to much OT (and also not look like Bukowsky;)) but can you give me an idea of the price for a beer off-board just for comparsion.

Thank you Vale :) ,

At a nice restaurant here, a Budweiser will cost about $3.75. (Actually at a nice restaurant OR a chain restaurant). A microbrew will be $4.50 - $4.95 for a pint. An import (ex. Grolsch) maybe $4.10-4.95 per bottle.

On your road trip you might find microbrews at the store go for about $1 a bottle. I haven't bought a six pack of Bud since............I'm not sure I ever have:confused: .

On the Pride of Hawai'i (back on topic;) ) I didn't get past the fruity tropical drinks and cosmos/fruity martinis, so I can't give a recommendation, but I hear they have some local microbrews which might be interesting to try.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet--the Stardust Theater is VERY COLD!!
Interesting, I thought the theater was too warm, as were most public areas. Just goes to show nobody can please everyone...
There are no tables and no bar service in the Stardust; that was just fine with us, but it was kind of a surprise.
A big plus for us too.

On the Pride of Hawai'i (back on topic;) ) I didn't get past the fruity tropical drinks and cosmos/fruity martinis, so I can't give a recommendation, but I hear they have some local microbrews which might be interesting to try.
We enjoyed double bock (import) and Liberty Ale (a microbrew) for less than $5/bottle in the Beer and Whiskey Bar in "Bar Alley" on deck 6. These prices are about what one would pay at any bar on Maui. Spending that much on Bud (is that really beer?) is too much, but for good beer it's not sticker shock for us.

Hi, Sandi! How interesting that you found places too warm! At my stage of life, being...ahem...too hot...is a common problem, but I found the buffet and Stardust WAY too cold! Indeed you can't please everyone!

By the way, we weren't at the Captain's reception because we didn't receive an invitation. We enjoyed the special appetizers and treats every day, so I know we were on the list. No biggie, but we would have attended had we known about it; sounds like it was very enjoyable. A big thank-you to you for setting up the Cruise Critic group; it felt special to be a part of it.

Janice

Well I know now to budget more for my alcohol then I would for a caribbean cruise. I saw that they don't include the tip on the bar drinks, do they have a place to leave the tip on the slip you sign like a normal credit card does or do I have to start carrying cash to tip the bar staff?

Never fear--There's definitely a line on the slip for the tip and the new total!

That meaning that the bill at the end is for that amount with no choice for us, is that right?

As we are talking about it, in the ship we use no cash, there is a sort of credit or debit card, or have I misunderstood?

:o ..I feel so hillbilly... :confused:

That meaning that the bill at the end is for that amount with no choice for us, is that right?

As we are talking about it, in the ship we use no cash, there is a sort of credit or debit card, or have I misunderstood?

Yes, there is a line for a tip, same as a restaurant. Whether you choose to tip or not is (as with a restaurant) is entirely your choice. The point is, the $10/day/pax "service charge" that is the Freestyle way of tipping, does not include bartenders or bar servers (or wait staff in specialty restaurants). Hence, tipping in those venues is appropriate.

The ship is "cashless", your embarkation card is also your ship's "credit card". That said, cash is always welcome and slipping a sawbuck to someone in exchange for good service is always appropriate. We purchase AT&T phone cards and hand those out to folks who do good things for us. They've always been appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Bob & Sandi,

We also live on the islands (Oahu) and will be able to be dropped off at the pier by friends. Will we be able to just take our luggage off the ship ourselves the morning we leave or will we have to set it outside the door the night before as well? Is there an option? Also, where do you pick up your luggage if they do take it the night before? (Sorry...last time I cruised I was a young adult with my parents who handled all this stuff!)

Susan

Vale,

The bar slip on the Pride of Hawaii will have an amount at the bottom that is the cost of your drink(s). Below that will be a blank tip line. You can write in the tip amount of your choice and add it up for a new total. Maybe a little different than in your "neck of the woods". (I use this phase because I see you are familiar with our "hillbilly" slang :D )

bobnsandi, thanks for the details on the microbrews!

I had an offer in my e-mail box today for Pride of Hawai'i $1099 7 night cruise, 2 night pre-cruise hotel including air from LA.....Pretty tempting! The times didn't work out right for me, though. Gotta wait a bit longer:mad: :D .

Susan - there is a thread above that talks about disembarkation off the POH.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360715

You can walk off the ship as one of the first people to get off if you have no luggage that cannot be carried by you. If you have luggage that you need transported or portered, you will need to put your luggage out the night before and wait for your color to be called. You'll pick up your luggage in the terminal at the appropriate color pickup point.

Spleen

Bob & Sandi,

We also live on the islands (Oahu) and will be able to be dropped off at the pier by friends. Will we be able to just take our luggage off the ship ourselves the morning we leave or will we have to set it outside the door the night before as well? Is there an option? Also, where do you pick up your luggage if they do take it the night before? (Sorry...last time I cruised I was a young adult with my parents who handled all this stuff!)

Susan

NCL has "Express Walkoff", which allows you to disembark at any time if you tote your own luggage. We dropped our largest suitcases with a neighbor while the ship was on Maui, so we were able to roll ourselves off (altho, negotiating the narrow passageways with luggage while the steward/esses are frantically trying to "turn the ship" can be a challenge).

We had a leisurely breakfast, packed, and disembarked about 9:15. Got a cab and were checked in for our interisland flite by 10.

If you don't care to handle your own luggage, you must have it outside your cabin by 1 A.M. the day of desembarkation, and remain on board until your luggage tag color is called. They were still calling tag colors when we left, so can't tell how long it took for everyone to get off.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bob and Sandi, Nice to see how active all the inaugural CC'ers are. Thanks once again for all you did for us all.

You mentioned the Blue Lagoon rest. and the lack of cinnamon rolls on the ship. Folks, be forwarned, there are no muffins or cinnamon rolls on the buffet. If interested, go to the Blue Lagoon for the continental breakfast. The fruit salad was excellent and the danish, blueberry muffins (they were out of macadamia nut muffins by the time we were breakfast buffeted out) and cinnamon rolls were divine. A real treat!

I figured that's what you meant, Vale, with your fancy Romance Suite and all! Joking back at ya':D

I think that those paying for deluxe accommodations do help keep things cheaper for the lowest-priced cabins, in a way, so THANKS:) .

I think you'll like your choice better than you would a little inside cabin:rolleyes: (who wouldn't!) Next time you can budget-shop, like me, but this is your honeymoon, after all, and you are coming a long way for this cruise!

originally posted by Deb&Tom

If interested, go to the Blue Lagoon for the continental breakfast. The fruit salad was excellent and the danish, blueberry muffins (they were out of macadamia nut muffins by the time we were breakfast buffeted out) and cinnamon rolls were divine. A real treat!

This is a new concept, for me, that they have on the Pride of Hawai'i. It seems that this could do wonders for spreading the traffic flow and crowds out over a greater area. Sometimes I don't want the longer Dining room breakfast, but will avoid bufffets as much as possible, so the Blue Lagoon Continental breakfast sounds ideal for these situations!

bobnsandi,

I won't ask (as requested;) ) but noticed the Azure Seas in your signature. That was my 2nd cruise...had a lot of fun!

NCL has "Express Walkoff", which allows you to disembark at any time if you tote your own luggage. We dropped our largest suitcases with a neighbor while the ship was on Maui, so we were able to roll ourselves off (altho, negotiating the narrow passageways with luggage while the steward/esses are frantically trying to "turn the ship" can be a challenge).

We had a leisurely breakfast, packed, and disembarked about 9:15. Got a cab and were checked in for our interisland flite by 10.

If you don't care to handle your own luggage, you must have it outside your cabin by 1 A.M. the day of desembarkation, and remain on board until your luggage tag color is called. They were still calling tag colors when we left, so can't tell how long it took for everyone to get off.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for. We'll be travelling with our toddler, so we'll probably be putting our suitcases out the night before but I wondered what our options were. It's been 10 years since I've done any of this!!

Susan

bobnsandi,

I won't ask (as requested;) ) but noticed the Azure Seas in your signature. That was my 2nd cruise...had a lot of fun!

Well, suffice it to say that's the reason there is a 16 year gap between sailing on her and our next cruise...

Archived