What city should I fly into?

I am wondering how far is London from Harwich, South Hampton and Dover?

Should we fly into another city besides London depending on port? We are considering right now it looks like, a cruise going out of Harwich-what city should we fly into and how far away is Harwich?

Why not look at a map?

It will also depend on the fares the airlines are quoting, the type of transfer you want, whether you want to do something else other than simply go to the port and so on and so forth.

You need to refine your questions.

For those ports I would have thought that you would fly into one of the London airports (I assume you are coming trans Atlantic)

Harwich is about 100 miles from Heathrow airport.

Nick.

Why not look at a map?

It will also depend on the fares the airlines are quoting, the type of transfer you want, whether you want to do something else other than simply go to the port and so on and so forth.

You need to refine your questions.

duh-------I know that! I was wondering about other's experience and what they chose.

For those ports I would have thought that you would fly into one of the London airports (I assume you are coming trans Atlantic)

Harwich is about 100 miles from Heathrow airport.

Nick.

Yep from the USA. but London is not the only big city in England-there are other airports and actually we have been to London before so we would prefer to fly in somewhere else.

How far is Harwich from Liverpool and Manchester?

www.multimap.co.uk - which has directions which will give you distances.

Most flights will presumably come into either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Where do you actually want to see? If you fly into Manchester you could go via York.

Will you go by train? Coach? Car? If car, self drive (which will probably be a manual) or with a driver?

Best to decide where you want to see, and how long you want to spend seeing it, before doing the flight research. You can always get an internal flight.

www.multimap.co.uk - which has directions which will give you distances.

Most flights will presumably come into either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Where do you actually want to see? If you fly into Manchester you could go via York.

Will you go by train? Coach? Car? If car, self drive (which will probably be a manual) or with a driver?

Best to decide where you want to see, and how long you want to spend seeing it, before doing the flight research. You can always get an internal flight.

We want to fly in a few days before our cruise and do a few things in England, Hubby would love to see the Beatles museum in Liverpool and we also discussed going to Bath and seeing the Jane Austen stuff-but as to what we will actually do-not sure-right now we are still in the "ideas" stages.

Yes we would b ewilling to take a train if a train would get us to Harwich. The time we went to London, we visited that warick castle and Shakespeare's birth place one day that week and we took a train that day-that was my favorite day as I got to see some countryside and not just a big huge city.

Now I loved Kensington, the Tower of London, the British Museum and Harrods ofcourse! but I want to see countryside this time if possible and if Harwich is a 100 miles from the main London airport would it be that much farther to fly into another airport-so we can see some of another part of England?

I would much rather do something like that-

I am wondering how far is London from Harwich, South Hampton and Dover?

Should we fly into another city besides London depending on port? We are considering right now it looks like, a cruise going out of Harwich-what city should we fly into and how far away is Harwich?

As Kindlychap says, if you look at a map you'll get a very quick answer. You will also want to know that there is no such port as "South Hampton". As all the cruise brochures will tell you, it's "Southampton".
I was wondering about other's experience and what they chose.
Other's experience and what they chose will also have been based on where they're coming from, what they want to do when they're here in the UK, and where they're sailing from. So just following what others do is not nearly as much good as advice tailored to your own situation, if you want that.
Yep from the USA. but London is not the only big city in England-there are other airports and actually we have been to London before so we would prefer to fly in somewhere else.

About 270-280 miles. Of course, if think you're interested in doing that, you'll also be wanting to look at flights to Glasgow, of which there are more - that's only 430 miles away from Harwich.

And Liverpool, you will be interested to know, is served by many international scheduled flights. Here's the current list of scheduled destinations, taken from the airport's website:-

Aberdeen

Alghero

Alicante

Amsterdam

Ancona

Barcelona

Basle

Belfast City

Belfast International

Bergerac

Berlin

Carcassonne

Cologne

Cork

Derry

Dublin

Faro

Galway

Gdansk

Geneva

Girona

Granada

Ibiza

Inverness

Isle of Man

Jersey

Katowice

Kaunas

Kerry

Krakow

Lanzarote

Limoges

London City

Madrid

Mahon

Malaga

Marseille

Milan Bergamo

Murcia

Nice

Nimes

Oslo Torp

Palma

Paris CDG

Pisa

Porto

Poznan

Reus

Riga

Rome

Santander

Santiago de Compostela

Seville

Shannon

Southampton

Tampere

Tenerife

Venice Treviso

Warsaw

Wroclaw

Okay 270 miles from Liverpool? Yes we have already found a flight we could take there from Atlanta, GA, USA .

Is there train service to Harwich from there? Or possibly we could rent a car? We would like to fly into Liverpool on a Thurs evening-which means we arrive Fri. morning-the we stay Fri. and Sat. in Liverpool and then on Sun we take a train or rent a car to go to Harwich, spend the night there and then on Mon, we would board the Jewel of the Seas.

That is our plan right now- I guess-we know very little about the UK and where everything is-that shouldn't surprise you.

When we were in London people knew we were from the US and they would ask where were we from in the US-we would say Georgia and they would say "we have friends in Conneticut." that is like 1000 miles from us-or "we have friends in Oregon" which is 3000 miles from us-almost as far as Britian is from us.

I did meet one older gentleman who asked me what part of the American SOUTH was I from. It turned out his son lived in Birmingham, AL, USA for several years so he recognized a southern accent!

It was really funny! but you know now I AM the dummy! It has been a long time since I took world geography in grammer school-a good 40 years-and to be honest even my US geography is not that good!

Thanks to all for your help.

Yes we have already found a flight we could take there from Atlanta, GA, USA.
Are you sure? I can see flights from Atlanta to Manchester, but not to Liverpool (which is a pretty small airport).

You can get a train from Liverpool to Harwich, but you have to connect in London. Some published connections involve changing once more between Liverpool and London. Total journey time should be about 5 hours.

Are you sure? I can see flights from Atlanta to Manchester, but not to Liverpool (which is a pretty small airport).

You can get a train from Liverpool to Harwich, but you have to connect in London. Some published connections involve changing once more between Liverpool and London. Total journey time should be about 5 hours.

that is doable.

The flight-hubby said it is there and he works for one of the airlines in the computer area-so he should know. Now maybe we have to fly to New York , Cincinnati, or Toronto first or something-I am not sure about that. We are using our sky miles from our American Express and actually with that it is preferable we not fly in to the most popular destination-but as we wanted to visit Liverpool anyway- so that is fine.

As I said, we have been to London before, I want to see more of England.

The flight-hubby said it is there and he works for one of the airlines in the computer area-so he should know. Now maybe we have to fly to New York , Cincinnati, or Toronto first or something-I am not sure about that.
OK, but my advice would be to check. AFAIK, Liverpool does not have any trans-Atlantic flights; I have looked again at their website to check, and as far as I can see all flights (both charter and scheduled) are to European destinations. You may want to check the routing of your journey to see if it's a convoluted one via a European transfer, possibly interline; and consider whether it is really more hassle than it's worth, particularly as you can get a non-stop from Atlanta to Manchester (and there are also easy connections via other US hubs to Manchester).

OK, but my advice would be to check. AFAIK, Liverpool does not have any trans-Atlantic flights; I have looked again at their website to check, and as far as I can see all flights (both charter and scheduled) are to European destinations. You may want to check the routing of your journey to see if it's a convoluted one via a European transfer, possibly interline; and consider whether it is really more hassle than it's worth, particularly as you can get a non-stop from Atlanta to Manchester (and there are also easy connections via other US hubs to Manchester).

Hubby works for Delta technology and he is looking at Delta flights first although we have choices of 5 or 6 other airlines.

Right now our cruise is over a year away and we were told we could use our sky miles but that we cannot book them until the date is less then a year away.

How far away is Manchester? That is a consideration-but hubby really did want to go to the Beatle's museum in Liverpool-he is a diehard Paul McCartney fan.

We still may just fly into London also and just take the train to Liverpool. I guess that would be doable-we would just have to go back through London and change trains right-before we board ship. That would make more sense too wouldn't it as we would not want to fly home from Liverpool since that would just be a longer train ride.

Hubby works for Delta technology and he is looking at Delta flights first although we have choices of 5 or 6 other airlines.

How far away is Manchester? That is a consideration-but hubby really did want to go to the Beatle's museum in Liverpool-he is a diehard Paul McCartney fan.

From Manchester, Liverpool's about 35 miles or so, which is very easy.

I had a look on DL's website. Liverpool is not listed as a destination, nor is it possible to book it. So unless your husband has access to plans that aren't yet public, it looks like Manchester would be your best bet for getting to Liverpool. Maybe you could fly to Manchester, but fly home from Gatwick after the cruise? That would be the best of both worlds.

Liverpool and Manchester are neighbouring cities and there is a frequent train service (every half hour or so I think) from Manchester Airport to Liverpool. Also I doubt a taxi would cost the earth.

If you want to visit Liverpool (and I wouldn't blame you) then Manchester Airport is your best bet.

Nick.

From Manchester, Liverpool's about 35 miles or so, which is very easy.

I had a look on DL's website. Liverpool is not listed as a destination, nor is it possible to book it. So unless your husband has access to plans that aren't yet public, it looks like Manchester would be your best bet for getting to Liverpool. Maybe you could fly to Manchester, but fly home from Gatwick after the cruise? That would be the best of both worlds.

Well maybe that is what he meant. My geography is so bad-I had no idea the two cities were that close.

A very useful source of distances between places in the UK is www.theaa.com. Just find route planner on the home page, type in the two places you wish to travel between and lo and behold a mileage comes up.

Regards, Mary

Thankyou for all your help. great information-sorry I am such a dummy. with this we should have it figured out by the time we book our air.

Thankyou for all your help. great information-sorry I am such a dummy. with this we should have it figured out by the time we book our air.

Most of us are delighted to help; I would be asking the same type of questions if I were visiting the US, so nothing dumb about your queries.

Regards, Mary

We are leaving on Thurs. for our weekend pre-stay in London. We are staying at the City Inn Westminster, where it seems most of the CCers are going to be. British friends of ours from our first cruise are meeting us at the hotel on Fri. and are going to be our sightseeing guides for the afternoon and have dinner with us.

On Sat. we have booked an all-day excursion to Canterbury, Dover and Leeds Castle. We booked with Evan-Evans, a UK tour company recommended by CC posters on our roll call pages. (Check out the posts on the Jewel list for 6/19/06) It was 1/2 the cost of the same trip offered by RCI. Evan-Evans has a great website, too, and I booked online.

On Sun. we will see more of London on our own. The hotel is in the heart of the major sightseeing area and near a tube station and the Thames.

The Jewel of the Seas leaves from Harwich on Mon. 6/19 on a 12-night cruise to the British Isles/Nor. Fjords, with stops in Le Havre, Plymouth, Dublin, Cork, Greenock, Flam, Alesund, Bergen and Amsterdam. We booked a package with RCI and it includes airfare, breakfast at the hotel, all the shuttles and luggage transfers. We DON'T want to mess with trying to coordinate all that ourselves. We fly into Gatwick and out of Heathrow. I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it!!! :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/19/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

Most of us are delighted to help; I would be asking the same type of questions if I were visiting the US, so nothing dumb about your queries.

Regards, Mary

well Mary on the Fashion board someone was telling about a great flea market in London-so now I may want to go back there.

We are leaving on Thurs. for our weekend pre-stay in London. We are staying at the City Inn Westminster, where it seems most of the CCers are going to be. British friends of ours from our first cruise are meeting us at the hotel on Fri. and are going to be our sightseeing guides for the afternoon and have dinner with us.

On Sat. we have booked an all-day excursion to Canterbury, Dover and Leeds Castle. We booked with Evan-Evans, a UK tour company recommended by CC posters on our roll call pages. (Check out the posts on the Jewel list for 6/19/06) It was 1/2 the cost of the same trip offered by RCI. Evan-Evans has a great website, too, and I booked online.

On Sun. we will see more of London on our own. The hotel is in the heart of the major sightseeing area and near a tube station and the Thames.

The Jewel of the Seas leaves from Harwich on Mon. 6/19 on a 12-night cruise to the British Isles/Nor. Fjords, with stops in Le Havre, Plymouth, Dublin, Cork, Greenock, Flam, Alesund, Bergen and Amsterdam. We booked a package with RCI and it includes airfare, breakfast at the hotel, all the shuttles and luggage transfers. We DON'T want to mess with trying to coordinate all that ourselves. We fly into Gatwick and out of Heathrow. I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it!!! :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/19/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

This is our cruise but- it is next summer not this summer. We thought about the transatlantic but we found that flights are not cheaper just flying one way-or if we use our skymiles it takes the same amount. These are the ports we wanted and we picked this ship becuase it was a third less then Celebrity Constellation.

We plan to do the same thing fly in on a thurs. before our cruise leaves out on a Monday. we just have not decided what we want to do pre-cruise-but we figured we would do something not just fly in the day before the cruise.

For us, this is alot of money and not something we do every year-we are celebrating our 25th anniversary-we were in London back in 99 but we have not been out of North america since then-although when we were in Alaska in 2001- we were just as far from our home then I guess but still in NA and the USA for that matter.

Have a good time and be sure and post and tell me about it when you get back-right here on this thread if you could.

Kathie I am particulary interested in how dressed up people were on the cruise. I have heard europeans dress alot nicer then americans-you know they don't go for sloppy attire-please let me know if this is true-as I want to look nice on my cruise next year.

Archived