Splendor 07/23/06 -new, need any and all help

I just found this place and trying to find my way around. Whew.

We are going on the Splendor of the Seas, cabins 3566 and 3568 on July 23-30, 2006. Would appreciate any and all suggestions on what information to read and where to look.

Our travel agent said the ship was supposed to be in dry dock the month of May so the ship should look fairly fresh when we go in July. Does anyone know about this?

I would love to talk to someone who has gone on this ship recently. It's our first cruise anywhere and we are excited.

Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome to CruiseCritic! You've come to the right place to find answers to all your cruising questions.

First, here's a link to the roll call for your sailing, where you can meet a few other passengers who are sailing with you. There's not a lot of activity -- yet:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=236978

Here are some threads from the Royal Caribbean board that discussed Splendour in dry dock:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=353319

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=355106

And here's a thread from the Europe Port of Call board from a cruiser who recently sailed Splendour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=348514

Finally, here's a link to the Europe board where you can find out more about the ports you'll be visiting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Just look at all the threads and open the ones that interest you.

Have a great cruise!

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Deb, we were on the Splendour last July, also on Deck 3 (but I don't remember the room numbers) and it was a fabulous trip. It was our first (and so far only) cruise. I wish I had found Cruise Critic before we went but didn't until afterwards. I'm not a expert cruiser like so many of the folks here (including Karen who linked so many useful threads), but I'll be glad to try to answer any specific questions.

Boy, I'm in over my head. Plus I'm in charge of tons of stuff for my daughter's summer swim team, her softball team, and doing the photography for a swim team DVD. I don't know if I'm coming or going.

So I appreciate all the links you posted. I need any and all info.

My family (hubby, 9 yr old and 21 yr old daughters) are pretty down-to-earth. Well, truth be told the 21 yr old wants to be filthy rich and worldly. She is going to France to study this summer so that is why we are meeting her in Venice afterward and going on this cruise.

My youngest is so darn picky that I dreaded trying to find every McDonald's in Italy so I picked a cruise. I'm hoping it will be easier to feed her. Trouble is she doesn't like to dress up or even comb her hair for that matter (should have been a boy). Are there times when we will need to dress up.

When we dock and go ashore do we wear the usual American vacation clothes? Our oldest daughter was told she should wear long skirts and no spaghetti straps. I didn't know if that was just for the school atmosphere or everywhere.

We have 2 outside cabins with a joining door. We are on a list for a larger cabin with balcony but haven't heard about any cancellations yet. Wonder if that is a possibility?

I'm into photography. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm glad to hear that it has been in drydock. I'm a stickler for clean.

My youngest wants to do the wall so bad. Are there any restrictions such as height or weight?

Thanks so much for offering to help. You're both lifesavers!!!!

Deb, the food options are plentiful, so you should have no problems with even a picky eater. Plan on bringing at least a couple of dresses for your younger daughter to keep your options open.

Our itinerary last year included Rome, where the Vatican had restrictions (justifiably) against shorts and bare shoulders. I don't know if any of the locations you will be visiting have the same requirements.

If you do need to keep the two separate cabins rather than a suite, keep in mind that you will have two bathrooms rather than one.

My kids wanted to try the climbing wall but the hours that it was open seemed to be pretty restricted and since we spent nearly 12 hours a day on excursions, and then almost two hours in the dining room (with extended family, so we really enjoyed the long dinners) they never got to try the wall. But we figured, there are climbing walls at home but this was their only opportunity to see Europe, so it was a minor trade-off. So I didn't find out about any age or size requirements.

Don't get stressed, just read through the info, use common sense, and have a great time!

I'm glad that my 9 yr old will have lots of options. Makes my life easier.

About a couple of dresses..........well I'll have to go buy a few then. She has 2 skirts that she wears to church rotating every other Sunday. I guess I better go find a few sun dresses. That's about as close as she will get. I will have to put my foot down and just say "this is how it's going to be".

Regarding the rest of us, I haven't read anything yet about dress code but will my husband need a suit, jacket, tie? I plan on sun dresses, dessy capris, and dressy pants.

"Dress code" questions are a hot topic here, but I think skirts would be okay for a nine-year-old. My youngest son was eleven and the airline lost a piece of luggage so for the formal nights he had nice pants and a dress shirt but no tie or jacket and he fit in fine. I'd suggest that your husband bring along a suit or jacket and tie so that if you want to eat in the dining room on formal nights you can (but if you're not in the mood to dress up you can eat elsewhere then).

Archived