seasick vs vertigo

nurseblissful

on our first cruise i spent 11 wonderful days dizzy as a coot. i tried the bracelets and the seasick pills. the bracelets did not work for me and the pills put me to sleep. does anyone know if the scopolamine patches will help this or will i just have to deal with it? thanks for your responses in advance.

Since this was so bothersome, I think the next step should be to see your doctor and tell him what happens to you. I am sure he can perscribe something to ease these symptoms.

For me, the patch was the worst thing I could have tried on my second cruise, it made me dizzy all of the time. So, I think it affects different people different ways.

We use Bonine as opposed to Dramamine. We have never noticed it causing any drowsiness. And Dramamine does NOT work for my husband. Bonine does work 100% of the time.

I had one really bad episode of vertigo. I never want to go through that again. So I carry a prescription for vertigo which is really just prescription strength Bonine. Now it DOES make me drowsy.

For vertigo (at home and while cruising), I use the meclizine tablets and take 1 on the first day and then 1/2 tablet everyday thereafter. Meclizine is less expensive than the Bonine (although the same thing) and is over the counter. Ask a pharmacist for it, as it is usually kept behind the counter. it works for the nausea as well, but will not make you drowsy. My DH also uses the ginger tablets, but I find it is not needed.

Good luck!

ginger caps. They're inexpensive and work for most. The only known side effect is ginger breath.

Never noticed the breath, but they do cause GAS! :D:

Hi Nurseblissful,

Nothing works for me but the patches. I think they are wonderful, but then, I have not had any of the side effects that some have.

You will have to discuss this option with your physician, and get a prescription. I would suggest getting an extra patch, and trying it out before you leave home to see if you have any side effects, and if you do, you are able to contact the doctors office while you are still in the area. You can ask about scopolamine pills (tablets?) too when you talk to the doc.

I always tell my DH that if I start acting weird, take my patch off........ :)

If worst comes to worst, you can go to the medical office on the ship and get a shot for seasickness. It is around $100, and insurance does not cover, but it seems to do the trick as a last ditch effort. I always keep my patch on when I get home for a few days, too, just so I don't get dizzy............

Happy cruising....

There are two drugs available, over the counter, to help prevent motion sickness. They are Dimenhydrinate and Meclizine. They are sold under various trade names. Original Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate. Dramamine II is Meclizine. Most products sold now are Meclizine. Dimenhydrinate causes serious drowsyness. Meclizine causes very little drowsyness, but different people will react differently. When you shop for motion sickness pills, check to see what the active ingredient is. If it is Dimenhydrinate, stay away from it. Most people will be OK if the active ingredient is Meclizine. No need to buy expensive brand names, any product with Meclizine will work the same.

Scopolamine (The patch) is more affective than both the above products, but is only available by prescription, is very expensive, and can have serious side effects.

If you are a fan of the TV show Mythbusters (Discovery Channel), like I am, you probably saw their recent test of anti motion sickness treatments. They found that a pill worked, but made them very drowsey (they did not say which drug they used, but I suspect it was Dimenhydrinate). The wrist bands had no effect at all, but that the ginger tablets were surpizingly effective, without any side effects.

I have tried everything for motion sickness. Although I wont give up cruising!! Maybe I am not taking enough ginger. How much should I take, are they pills? I went so far as to stick an asprin in my belly button. Heard it worked, sounded crazy, I still got very dizzy on a sea day.

After my first cruise; I had the worse case of landrock. OF course at the time, I did not know what the term was. I felt the house was on stilts and some queasiness.

Cruisecritic posters were great with their suggestions. On my next 2 cruises I felt fine and the aftermath was so little that it wasn't even worth mentionning. Bonine (meclazine) is what was recommended and this is how it was recommended to take and what I found works for me:

Take 1 pill the night before we cruise, then 1 every night thereafter. I even take 1 more the night after we have ended our cruise. For extra precaution - I take 2 on sea days.

I always took them before going to bed - I never felt drowsy and found it was ok to have a couple of drinks daily without any ill effects.

We were hooked after our first cruise and am so thankful for Bonine.

Wishing you the best of luck on your next cruise.

My table mates probably thought I was on some kind of drug (recreational) - made reading and quilting nearly impossible, but I did not get seasick. However, when we returned to land and I took the patch off I thought I was dying I was so sick and dizzy. We were in Sydney and my DH went to a chemist. He said that they consider the patch so dangerous that it is illegal in Australia. He told my DH to give me Dramamine to assuage the feelings. Worked wonders and I was able to go out and enjoy the city. Now I stick with Mecclinzine because it doesn't make me sleepy and it's dirt cheap - Long's had a bottle of 100 (.25 mg) for $5.95 - such a deal.

Be careful with the ginger tablets if you are on a blood thinner - it has bad side effects.

Charlie

I have had benign positional vertigo for years and my understanding is that antivert just treats the symptoms; it does not prevent vertigo. If you truly have vertigo, and take antivert, you may not be sick to your stomach, but the world will continue to spin around you.

I have tried everything that is out there. Everything. Maybe someone knows something new. I will try it. We a going to Alaska again, we just there in May. Got yucky feeling one day,(at sea) but I was not by myself.

nope. not getting seasick. just dizzy as sin. nothing a couple of mai tais won't blur, but it is a little embarrassing to be staggering about early in the morning. does this happen to anyone else? i do not have this problem at home. thanks again, lauri

nope. not getting seasick. just dizzy as sin. nothing a couple of mai tais won't blur, but it is a little embarrassing to be staggering about early in the morning. does this happen to anyone else? i do not have this problem at home. thanks again, lauri

You sound identical to me.

I stay woozy the entire cruise. I did use the patch for three, maybe four cruises. I really feel like I missed the cruise. They are a fuzzy blur. I'd get home and think, did I really go on a cruise.

At dinner one night the doctor at our table looked at me and asked if I was using the patch. I said yes and he told me to ditch it. I did and I felt wonderful the next day.

Stupid me, I continued to use it for other cruises. On our last two cruises I used Meclizine. OMG, it was wonderful. I felt alive and not sleepy, dizzy, disoriented.

I do have an inner ear problem in my left ear. Last time I visited the doctor I asked him to check my record and see what the great rx was that I had used for inner ear. Yep, it was meclizine. I cannot say enough wonderful things about it.

I should add that I have an extemely sensitive system.

You sound identical to me.

I stay woozy the entire cruise. I did use the patch for three, maybe four cruises. I really feel like I missed the cruise. They are a fuzzy blur. I'd get home and think, did I really go on a cruise.

At dinner one night the doctor at our table looked at me and asked if I was using the patch. I said yes and he told me to ditch it. I did and I felt wonderful the next day.

Stupid me, I continued to use it for other cruises. On our last two cruises I used Meclizine. OMG, it was wonderful. I felt alive and not sleepy, dizzy, disoriented.

I do have an inner ear problem in my left ear. Last time I visited the doctor I asked him to check my record and see what the great rx was that I had used for inner ear. Yep, it was meclizine

on our first cruise i spent 11 wonderful days dizzy as a coot. i tried the bracelets and the seasick pills. the bracelets did not work for me and the pills put me to sleep. does anyone know if the scopolamine patches will help this or will i just have to deal with it? thanks for your responses in advance.

I have vertigo and get seasick. The Transderm Scop patch works great for me! I don't get drowsy with the patch but remember after the 3 days, when you have to put on a new patch to switch it to the other ear!!! I didn't know to do this and I overdosed, not good. Hope this helps

I suffer from vertigo and sea sickness. My Dr. prescribes antivert, which is mecluzine, the main ingredient in Bonine. If I have a vertigo problem and no antivert, I pop a Bonine. ;)

You are talking to a professional here, after cruising 3 times and suffering on each cruise. I learned the secret. Begin taking dramilizine or bonine at least 7 days prior cruising and daily while cruising at bedtime. I experienced no drowiness during the day. Hope this works for you, it made a world of difference for me. Our last 10 day cruise, never felt sick.

Just a reminder to all. Different folks react differently to Meclizine. Although it doesn't make some folks drowsy, it can make others VERY drowsy. Same medicine, different response. If you tend to be a light weight, you may wish to try only a half a tablet, and do take it in the evening, to see how you react.

Robbie

To say that ginger pills have no side effects is incorrect. Ginger does have an anticlotting factor and if you are already taking anticlotting med, ie, Plavix, Coumadin, etc, adding ginger could throw your whole system off. Check with your doc first if you are on any of these type meds.

Archived