Upgrades.. guaranteed room or room assignment?

navywife06

Usually you have a better chance with a guarantee ... just remember the rule ... don't book anything that could end up with less than what you want. Don't expect an upgrade, and if you want to be on the top/bottom/left/right/back of the ship, book a room that pleases you.

It is very rare that those that book a cabin receive an upgrade. Booking a guarantee certainly does not mean you will get an upgrade but at least you will have a shot at one. As the other poster said. Make sure that you book the lowest cabin that you will be happy with when booking a guarantee.:)

I think a guarantee is the best chance, but it is not true that you NEVER get an upgrade if you book a room. We booked three speciific rooms on the Elation last year--2 OV and 1 Inside. On June 1--last year--our TA called and offered all of us upgrades---2 Cat. 12s and 1 OV on the Upper deck. Our TA said she doesn't know why they were offered. She said sometimes a group will want cabins together and those people having those rooms could be offered an upgrade. We didn't care cuz we were happy. :D

We know this doesn't happen often so we books suites this year on the Conquest. :)

I apologize in advance for this question..

Are my chances better at an upgrade if I book a guaranteed room with no room assignment, or if I choose a room?

Again, I apologize... rookie booker...

If you select a cabin thats it, the only way they would upgrade you is with your permission by them calling you. You will have a better chance going guaranteed. I usually book the cheapest cabin, Cat. 1a to save on cash and get upgrade to a 5a - 6a.

we booked a BAL GTY for our Pride cruise in under two weeks.. and Got an 8H..and this was WITHOUT the Military deal they had going on.. book an 8A and automatically be bumped to an 8I...only one category lower than the mil. special..

Thanks for all of your advice. Based on it, I'm going to book a guaranteed inside. The price is about the same and this way I'm happy either way. I was planning on booking an inside room anyway and feeling good about it. Now whatever happens, it's all good....

Thanks!

Oh spookwife, I forgot to answer your question about being stationed in Monterey. My husband put in for NPS. Fingers crossed.. If not, we'll end up in Hawaii, so not too shabby. Are you living in the housing there, or off base? We're thinking of living on base and holding on to our place here in Virginia Beach. Any advice is appreciated..

we live in housing, which has gone PPV. never again, for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with on here, but if you want the gouge, I'd be happy to exchange emails.

If you can swing it price wise.. try and go for at least an Ocean View though. He'll be spending 6 months or more in a windowless stateroom soon enough...

We have booked a guaranteed cabin for the Legend for November 24. We're about 173 days out or so and so far no cabin assignment. Should we expect one shortly or just wait it out?

Lynne--this is our first Carnival cruise.

I don't know about Carnival but we were upgraded from an inside assigned cabin to an outside on the Splendour of the Seas transatlantic this spring. I booked it early this year and picked a cabin #. About 2 weeks before we left my TA called to say she'd received an email saying we'd been upgraded to an outside cabin. We were surprised and happy and she was shocked. She said it was almost unheard of to be upgraded under our circumstances.

As a rule, I don't mind an inside but we sure enjoyed the window on this trip.

When we booked our cruise in early May, our TA booked an assigned cabin with 1 upper & a rollaway (we're 4 of us). I later asked about OBC & was told the best we could get was an upgrade (which is fine). We did get moved to a quad, same location, just 1 deck up.

Archived