cruise to alaska

spot73

i'm going on the westerdam in july to alaska, i'm a quad looking for things to do at ports. how well can a wheelchair get around at the shows? all info about the ship and ports would be great. thanks

While a different ship--same cruise line. Got back 10 days ago from Alaska cruise. I was one of only 2 people on board using a scooter--several in wheelchairs--but no other that had battery power. We were in a "modified accessible" outside room--meant there were handbars in shower. First challenge was doorway to room--not wide enough for scooter with arms. Removed arms and scooter could access room, turn around in room, etc. No tender ports on our itinerary (did not include Sitka). However, ramps were steep in some ports and invariably the piece that covered the joining between ramps and ship had angle to it such that my low-clearance scooter got stuck--I think every time--so I'd need to stand and walk down ramp. However, your chair may not have this problem--may be built higher off ground. I think there was a problem getting into the building for the lumberjack show in Ketchikan--which is right next to the dock. I scooted down to the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau and had no problem getting on the tram or accessing buildings in Juneau. Also did the Glacier Gardens tour--kind of hokey at times--but really gets you into the forest and is quite accessible. Each golf cart is driven by a staff member. There's nothing much close to the dock in Haines--town is in two parts--the closest has a steep hill. Would recommend some sort of tour that would involve a ride there to see scenic countryside. Did Mt. Takshanuk by 4 X 4 there--the proprietor has etched a trail up quite a mountain with a priority toward creating an adventure that can be enjoyed by the disabled--each cart is driven by a "customer". It's mighty steep in some areas and still needs lots of work--but was a lot of fun. Didn't do Skagway--but memory from 12 years ago was that it's an accessible town--I remember doing a lot of walking--back before MS slowed me down!

I found the onboard shore excursion staff for Holland America very accomodating--called ahead to ensure that things I chose to do were accessible. Getting on/off buses and into vans was challenging--though not impossible--depends on having someione to help you. You should contact Holland America's Access & Compliance office ASAP. 1-800-547-8493 or HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com and alert them to your issues.

spot:

if you are looking for others on your cruise you should check out the Roll call" section of this board (HAL) and see if anyone else has posted being on your cruise. I've never done it, but I think others here have. It's a way to meet on-line folks -- if you want to.

Oh, one thing I forgot to tell you on the other board -- there are great fluctuations in Alaska tides. Basically it means you could roll-off the ship easily in th AM at low tide but return in the afternoon at high tide to find the gangway very steep (they usually also change boarding decks during th day).

Anyway, sometimes it's too steep for wc or scooters so the staff has to assist. I know several power wc-users who had to be carried aboard. Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind.

Candy

Archived