Pride of Americal Arrives at Maui

bobnsandi

The Pride of Aloha arrived at Kahului Harbor Maui this morning. She was accompanied by numerous Coast Guard air and surface facilities. There were multiple rain squalls at the time, which made it difficult to get good images from our lanai. Below are two that are suitable for posting...

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/pics/PoA.jpg

Pride of Aloha Abeam entrance buoy #2

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/pics/PoA_2.jpg

Pride of Aloha Approaches Kahului Harbor (Haleakala in Background)

We were there and yes it rained off and on the first day but did not damper our fun at all. We did the road to Hana that day and spent at least 6-7 hours on the road with various stops. If you want to experience it fully, give yourself two days. We started skipping sites just because there are so many! I loved it there! We went back to the ship, ate some dinner and went to bed for a few hours. Got up at 1:30 am so we could go to Mt. Haleakala for sunrise and a bike ride down the mountain. We were picked up by Maui mountain bikes at 2:15 and they took us back to their shop. We left at 3:00 am and were atop the mountain at 4:05 am. We got our warm wear, which for me was not warm enough! We waited in the winds for sunrise. We saw the predawn colors, but unfortunately, we had alot of cloud cover and didn't get the full sunrise that many get. Not to worry--now for the bike ride. My hubby wanted to go faster, (of course) but we maintained 15-25 mph down the mountain with a few stops for pics and to shed the warm clothes about 10 miles from the bottom. We began our ride about 7:00 or so and ended at 9:30. We then went to breakfast in the town where our ride ended and finished up about 11:00 and were on our way back to the ship. Great fun. Maui is a beautiful island and I would go again in a second! We did not do any shore excursions through the ship--booked all our things on our own. Sometimes just renting the car and doing it on your own is your best bet IMO. This is a great place--get out there and see this beautiful place. Rain does not deter you here. It is part of the experience!

Another Ship Trip - would you mind emailing me directly.

This is my first cruise and I am quite "wet behind the ears" when it comes to deciding if we should do things on our own or use the NCL tours. It is just me and my hubby.

Our trip is POA July 25th, 2004.

THANKS A MILLION

Barb wer3angels@aol.com

• 4 months later...
This thread is talking about the Pride of Aloha, not the Pride of America. However, the Pride of America will be in service in Hawaii as of next summer if all continues on its current schedule.

Emi

Yes I was confused too.

Archived