QM2 July 8 Eastbound Crossing????

Texwell

Thanks for your response! As I said, I was beginning to wonder if we would be the only ones on the ship!:)

This is our first experience on the QM2 and we're very excited about the crossing! Have you had any previous experience on QM2? If so, we'd like to hear your opinions and advice.

Yes this journey will be my fourth on board the QM2, I think she is an amazing ship in every way, I am a wheelchair user and found it very easy to get around, although if one tries to get back to one's cabin while others are being cleaned I found that the corridors are actually quite narrow and had to squeeze past the cleaning equipment but thats just a minor thing, also the disembarkation seems to take a very long time, just sat in the Royal Court Theatre for what seems like ages, not that I was particularly eager to get off!

My wife and I will be on the July 8 crossing. I gather the ship is pretty crowded. This is our first transatlantic cruise and we just discovered this board - there is a lot of useful information and interesting personalities.

My wife and I will be on the July 8 crossing. I gather the ship is pretty crowded. This is our first transatlantic cruise and we just discovered this board - there is a lot of useful information and interesting personalities.

Yes, the information has been most helpful. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to plan such an important trip without the internet!

This is our first transatlantic crossing also and we've only been on one other short cruise so we're really looking forward to it.

Just wondering - what has lead you to believe that the trip is pretty booked? I was hoping it wouldn't be too crowded.

Yes, the information has been most helpful. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to plan such an important trip without the internet!

This is our first transatlantic crossing also and we've only been on one other short cruise so we're really looking forward to it.

Just wondering - what has lead you to believe that the trip is pretty booked? I was hoping it wouldn't be too crowded.

Hi Texwell,

We will be on her for the 7/3/06 Independence Week Sampler till 7/8/06.

We have been on the QE2 over a dozen times and always had experienced thrills each time we boarded her. Even though it felt like we just got off her it was exciting.

We will be trying the QM2 for the very first time also and will be looking forward to the excellent Cunard care the staff provides.

Will be take good care of her (QM2) for you on our voyage till you get on later that day that we disembark. Yes, coming home and knowning that we just got off and others will take our place, we will still feel jealous of you!

Happy cruisin........

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Texwell,

I assumed the cruise will be crowded because when I tried to book a Q5 room I was told by my travel agent that there were none left - but I could be wrong - it may just be that some rooms sell out faster than others. We wound up with a room up towards the front of the ship - having not been on a ship before, I was concerned about the ship motion - but I am hoping the shear size of the ship will be an advantage.

• 2 weeks later...
Texwell,

I assumed the cruise will be crowded because when I tried to book a Q5 room I was told by my travel agent that there were none left - but I could be wrong - it may just be that some rooms sell out faster than others. We wound up with a room up towards the front of the ship - having not been on a ship before, I was concerned about the ship motion - but I am hoping the shear size of the ship will be an advantage.

This is our first crossing and I've been concerned about the motion as well since I've been prone to motion sickness in the past. But in reading the other threads, I'm reassured by the size of the ship, as you said, and also by what other experienced passengers have said about typical weather in July. I've also read that medication is readily available in the infirmary, if necessary. I'm sure we'll all have a great time whatever the case.

Texwell,

My husband and I will be on this crossing. We are very excited and are counting the days.

Deb

Deb:

I actually started counting days last week and have been getting a little better organized about my packing as the time gets closer.

It will be great fun!

Earlene

Earlene,

I have started packing but want to take way too many shoes. I need to look at my pile of shoes and figure out what ones are absolutely necessary. The problem is they all seem necessary right now :) Hope you are having better luck packing then me.

Earlene,

I have started packing but want to take way too many shoes. I need to look at my pile of shoes and figure out what ones are absolutely necessary. The problem is they all seem necessary right now :) Hope you are having better luck packing then me.

Deb,

Well, we have something in common! I love shoes and have been trying to narrow my choices down as well. I can't leave my Asics at home because I'm planning on remaining fit while gone, yet they do take up alot of room. I also love flip-flops but have been a little intimidated by some of the posts discouraging wearing denim, etc., on board.

Just wondering, if anyone has been to Stonehenge, what the proper attire for that tour might be.

Earlene

Deb,

Just wondering, if anyone has been to Stonehenge, what the proper attire for that tour might be.

Earlene

Earlene

Anything you want. depending on the weather. It can be very hot and dry with no wind (like it is as I write) or it can be a storm with lashing rain, remember it's on a plain so it's very exposed, there isn't a tree for miles (or so it seems). Good shoes, but you're not going far from the coach. You're not allowed to go anywhere near the stones by the way. When I was younger we used to be able to walk around them and have our pictures taken amongst them. Not any more. I've been very disappointed with Stonehenge recently. When you could feel the stones, touch pre history, then it was special, now, it's not.

Salisbury, Winchester, are all far more interesting IMHO. As Salisbury and Winchester are very close to Southampton, they would be my choice for a tour.

However, whatever you decide to do, have a great time.

Thanks, Pepper. I'll mention the other locations to my husband and see if we would prefer to go there instead. I did envision being able to wander around a bit more so I'm disappointed about the restriction. We appreciate the advice.

Earlene

Earlene,

Because I changed cruise dates I never received the pre-cruise documents for our T/A. Cunard promised me they are in the mail and I do already have my tickets so I'm not too worried. My problem is that I don't know what special balls we will be having. I know we have 3 formal nights but I don't know if they have a theme like black and white or ascot. Can you tell me what the special nights are?

I was also debating bringing my flip-flops. I think i am going to bring them for the pool.

As for your excersion, if you haven't tried Keens I highly recommend them. Great for long walks, good traction and can get wet and dry fast. They do take a chunk out of the wallet though. I wore them all through Germany last summer and my feet never hurt.

Deb

Texwell:

You will NOT be alone on the 08 July Sailing.

My fiancee and I will be sailing on that date also.

It will be a first EVER sailing for my fiance, it'll be my 2nd time aboard QM-2, and about the 26th time aboard any of the Cunard Queens.'

If you have any particular questions you would care to air about QM-2 or transatlantic, please feel free to contact me off this thread if you wish.

Doug (of Doug and Lora)

DFKyddSeDe@aol.com

Thanks, Pepper. I'll mention the other locations to my husband and see if we would prefer to go there instead. I did envision being able to wander around a bit more so I'm disappointed about the restriction. We appreciate the advice.

Earlene

Earlene

I've found this aerial view, in the background on the other side of the road you can see the car/coach park, you can then see the path that runs along one side of the stones. Hope this helps you.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/stonehengeinteractivemap/sites/stonehenge/vid2.html

I really hope you enjoy wherever you and your husband decide to go on your tour, wherever you go, have a great time.

Pepper, that's an amazing video - thanks. I realize from looking at it that I need to brush up on Stonehenge details before we go. Thanks for the good wishes - we are looking forward to a great time!

just found this post, i've been trying for my segment 14th-18th july but did not realise its starting from neq3w york. will be my 2nd qm2 trip, i love the ship despuite a few preoblems last time. don't think yiou have any problems with rough crossings as she is the best for the seas i think i am right about this. are all you people doing this cruise going through to hamburg? where do yopu get off the ship? i was hoping to do stonehenge but its for only passengers going back to new york, what a shame. is someone doing a return trip?

my cabin is 6170 hope to me some of you on board

dave

just found this post, i've been trying for my segment 14th-18th july but did not realise its starting from neq3w york. will be my 2nd qm2 trip, i love the ship despuite a few preoblems last time. don't think yiou have any problems with rough crossings as she is the best for the seas i think i am right about this. are all you people doing this cruise going through to hamburg? where do yopu get off the ship? i was hoping to do stonehenge but its for only passengers going back to new york, what a shame. is someone doing a return trip?

my cabin is 6170 hope to me some of you on board

dave

Hi, Dave -

Yes, we are going through to Hamburg. Have no idea exactly where we get off - my better half is the travel planner. We will then go on to Berlin. We, too, have been considering Stonehenge but not sure we'll do the tour yet. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the Stonehenge tour being only for passengers going back to NYC.

We are not doing a return trip because we are going to Dublin from Berlin. This is our first QM2 crossing and we've heard so much about it we are already thinking of planning another before we finish the first!

So are we to understand that you will be boarding on the 14th in Southampton?

Earlene

its a 5 nt cruise for me, only did it as the last time i did the qm2 in 2003 there were a few problems so i got a voucher. i used to for a qe2 cruise but overbooked 24hrs before it statrted and cancelled!!! got a refund plus a free cruise the next year. so using the voucher for thi one. sounds like yopu are getting off in hamburg them. i'm coming back to soton on 18th in 6170,. a hull balcony, somebody said the deck 4 was glass and mine was open but not sure about this. i'want to book an excursion to berlin, but want to do the tour of the olympic stadium so will check if its included if not i;ll do it myself. done 36 cruises in 12years o many different ships. hope we can meet up on board. on was on the noordam this april and had a party of cc ers of 40 great time.

dave

Seabourndt wrote

"last time i did the qm2 in 2003" :confused:

"i'm coming back to soton on 18th in 6170,. a hull balcony, somebody said the deck 4 was glass and mine was open but not sure about this. dave" :confused: :confused:

Am I missing something here? Dave, please help me!

just said i did the qm2 in 2003 on a sampler cruise. iam in a hill balcony on deck 6.

dave

We are also on Deck 6, an in-hull balcony which I hear is ideal for a crossing. When you met up with cc'ers before, was there an organized meeting place/time?

Thanks,

Earlene

Archived