POLL: Travel Insurance

LauraS

Do You Buy Travel Insurance When You Cruise?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Buy Travel Insurance When You Cruise?

• Yes, I always buy because you never know what curves life will throw you.
    • I will buy travel insurance only if I think I absolutely *have* to, depending upon the season or circumstances in my life.
    • No, I think it is an additional cost that isn't necessary
    • OTHER - Explain below!

I buy cruise insurance for every cruise we take. We've taken the Monarch many times, but still buy insurance for that cruise as well. If, for any reason, someone in my party needs to be airflighted to a hospital, the insurance will take care of that bill.

I definitely second buying third-party insurance. Be sure to read the fine print and understand what is being covered. Not all insurance is alike.

I made a point of buying very comprehensive insurance when we cruised in Europe. For some of the other cruises we have taken, I have bought what was most important and filled the gaps with my regular medical insurance.

It is interesting to note that many here say because they are older, they now buy insurance. Personally, I think everyone should buy insurance. You never know when you'll trip or fall or have a problem you didn't expect. Shipboard medical care is very expensive!

This topic raised a question to me...

When the barge hit the Fantasy in February, the Coast Guard would not let the Fantasy cruise that next sailing. Carnival was forced by them to cancel the cruise. All those passengers were literally on board and many unpacked.

I realize we are just taking people at their word, but many people were complaining because their travel insurance (many named were well known) did not come through for them.

For instance, if someone paid $1,000 in airfare to get to this cruise and the cruise is cancelled....they were still out $1,000.00. Carnival is the one who paid up to $200.00 to change flight arrangements to get back home...but no one reimbursed for the airline tickets which were used for nothing.

So do people know exactly what they are "insuring". Carnival reimbursed the cost of the cruise, $200.00 per person to change flights and an over night stay if necessary.

The insurance companies said they did not reimburse anything because "Carnival cancelled the cruise" and there is some kinda loop hole that has that wording in it.

I was wondering if there were any more "real life" stories like the Fantasy where insurance did not pay off as people had expected???

I travel alot, taking cruises whenever I can. That 4 letter word...work, keeps me from taking them as much as I would like. I ALWAYS get insurance. I was traveling (with work) about 4 years ago. Meet a nice family in Cancun where the conference was held. The 3rd night their DD age 4 became ill. I looked in on her, the appendix was in bad sharp. They had no coverage. They wanted 50% up front to air lift her to the states!!! Unreal. I covered it and their baby got surg in a quality facility instead of in Mexico. They are good people and are still sending me $50 a mo. I don't want to imagine what could have happened. On a cruise, in the Bahamas, one of the folks fell, getting a compound (bone sticking out) fracture of her leg . She had NO coverage. I saw her several times in the Medical Center. The leg was made stable and she was given pain meds for comfort. We were back in Miami in the morning. If it would have been longer (risk of clots) she would have had to have it set (via the OR) on the island. Not something I would want for my loved one or me. IMHO buy the insurance, even if you have to drink less or stay in a lower cat cabin. It is worth it.

LHP: Your question is very valid. Although I don't have any specific answers, I would say that many insurance companies word their policies in favor of the "insurer" rather than the "insured".

Make a phone call to whichever insurance company you prefer to use, and ask them all the appropriate questions "in advance" before you buy. I have always done this and it has worked for me. Buying insurance from the Cruise Line is usually a bad idea, since these are sometimes the worst offenders.

I've used CSA with great satisfaction and many here on CC who experienced issues in Barcelona during the dock strike found that they were one of the few companies to come through for their clients. No, I don't work for any insurance company, I'm retired and simply cruise as often as I can.

Considering insurance as part of the cruise fare is the way to go!

For the 1st time we bought travel insurence for our trip to Europe. We mainly take smaller cruises. For us its how much money we can lose. We only have health insurance for major medical problems mainly accidents anyways. If we where to get hurt on a cruise or on any other trip. We can charge it and pay it off later. We do alternative health anyways... We did buy trip insurance for our Italy trip, because $6,000 is alot of money to lose if we had to cancel for other family member's medical problems. The insurance does cover that for "main" family members.

Kim

LHP:

I've used CSA with great satisfaction and many here on CC who experienced issues in Barcelona during the dock strike found that they were one of the few companies to come through for their clients. No, I don't work for any insurance company, I'm retired and simply cruise as often as I can.

I picked up this information on these boards, so I will pass it on here. Both CSA and HTH allow you to have coverage of preexisting conditions if your insurance is purchased within 24 hours of your last payment for a trip, and you are able to travel at that time. Thus you can avoid the cost of insurance during all the time leading up to the last payment. This is the time period when, if you have a claim, the amount would be minimal or zero. If you had already bought air during this time, you could have bought separate insurance for that. Some airlines will also reimburse you in the form of a voucher for future travel if you can substantiate you medical problem.

The price seems to be a bit more than some of the other companies charge, but the benefit as stated above warrants a slightly higher premium. Here is an additional benefit. Contrary to some companies, you don't have to insure for the total cost of the trip to have preexisting conditions covered. Thus you need cover only the amount you would feel uncomfortable about losing. I have telephoned the company about this feature and been assured that this is correct. Also I can find nothing in the policy itself which states otherwise.

I have recently purchased my second HTH policy. As I have not had a claim, I cannot speak to the ease of collection of covered costs for these companies, but I believe some have said on these boards, as LHP does above, that CSA payment is good. I believe both companies have the same ownership.

Bob :)

I'm a bit of an optimist and a gambler. I have excellent health insurance from my job and I don't have to worry about that coverage. We are both blessed with good family genes as far as health is concerned and I asked myself "What could possibly keep me from getting on that ship"? I've been on dozens of cruises and haven't purchased insurance because of those factors. If the situation was different I would consider it but I would rather use the money at the crap table. Percentages are better there.

I was glad I did when my son had to have emergency surgery just before we were scheduled to board a cruise in Tampa...he was in perfect health before then, so you just never know. We were heartbroken to miss the cruise, and we spent 12 days in a Tampa hospital, but would have been even worse off if we'd lost the cruise money. We got a full refund of our cruise price and were able to sail again later the same year.

I'm a bit of an optimist and a gambler. I have excellent health insurance from my job and I don't have to worry about that coverage. We are both blessed with good family genes as far as health is concerned and I asked myself "What could possibly keep me from getting on that ship"? I've been on dozens of cruises and haven't purchased insurance because of those factors. If the situation was different I would consider it but I would rather use the money at the crap table. Percentages are better there.

Grandpaul: I'd check YOUR insurance carefully, making sure that it would pay if you were out of the country or lifeflighted from a cruiseship. Many do not pay under these circumstances. Of course, if you can afford to take the gamble, then so be it.

I'm covered. One of the perks of working for the gov't is the insurance. Usually the best. As I said, all factors considered, trip insurance is not for me. I understand most people get it and probably should for the peace of mind. But there are exceptions.

Here in the UK we find it cheaper to take out an annual insurance policy which covers travel in Europe and Worldwide , especially if you are taking more than one trip a year. With Princess UK for example, the cost is dependant on the price paid - cruise costing up to £1,999 has a charge of £85 for up to 69 years of age or £115 for 70's and over (per person) and the cost rises steadily the more the cruise costs. Even package holidays in hotels in Europe booked with the main tour operators charge heavily for their own insurance packages. Now that we are classed as seniors (both 63 years of age) we can get discounts on several types of insurance and the company we have chosen for our holiday cover (Saga) gives us a yearly policy for £125 for the two of us - this is excellent value and they have not penalised me for my problems with arthritis even though I have had to declare it as a pre-existing condition. If you can find a yearly policy then I would say opt for this every time. One thing to be aware of in the small print, as we found, we are duty bound to declare any known medical condition of close family members (mother, father, brothers, sisters) which could give rise to you having to cancel a holiday. Provided you declare it then it is fine but failure to do so could result in the policy being declared null and void. I think this is a general rule with most holiday insurance policies but so many people fail to read all the small print and regret it!!

Regards from Suron in Bristol, England

I always get travel insurance. I've had to use it once, so I know how valuable it really is.

Just noticed where you are from - we have had some great holidays in Bradenton - stayed in the Bradenton Beach Villas with the beach just across the road - then we got to go on cruises so unfortunately have not returned there for a few years now. We also loved touring down to Longboat Key and Sarasota and the Everglades - made a change from the hectic pace of Disney! Enjoy your cruise planning.

Suron in Bristol, England

We had to use it Jan 2006. flight was cancelled. US Air flew us to ST maarten for two night to catch the Celebrity Constellation at its first port. Stayed at a nice resort for free, but we wanted to be on a cruise. 10 day cruise became a 7 day cruise. Insurance refunded 30% of our total cost.

Archived