Birth certificate

cbrtls5

I have a quick question. My mil said she had an official copy of dh's birth certificate so I didn't need to order one. She gave it to us today, I just want to make sure that it is indeed an official copy.

It's just a small paper that has the certificate of live birth..etc etc etc with info... there is a stamped raised seal that can be felt. Barely, but it's there. The back of the certificate is stamped with the date and says "this is a copy of the original certificate, certified this date at topeka, ks" Then it is stamped/signed by the state registrar. It also says not valid if copied.

Is this what I need?

I have a quick question. My mil said she had an official copy of dh's birth certificate so I didn't need to order one. She gave it to us today, I just want to make sure that it is indeed an official copy.

It's just a small paper that has the certificate of live birth..etc etc etc with info... there is a stamped raised seal that can be felt. Barely, but it's there. The back of the certificate is stamped with the date and says "this is a copy of the original certificate, certified this date at topeka, ks" Then it is stamped/signed by the state registrar. It also says not valid if copied.

Is this what I need?

Sounds like you have a certified copy of the real deal. The key thing is the stamped raised seal and the certified statement.

Now, quickly use it to get a passport, you'll need one eventually anyway (starting as early as 12/06 perhaps), and they are more durable than a birth certificate.

Sounds like a certified birth certificate. My son-in-law has one and took it for ID on our last cruise. That's what it looked like, a small piece of paper with a raised seal. It'll work for ya'.

Of course, you'll need a state-issued ID with a picture also. You have a driver's license? You'll be in good shape. It's the birth certificates that are issued by the hospital that won't work.

FWIW, I heartily agree with the poster that said to get a passport, and the sooner the better.

T

FWIW, I heartily agree with the poster that said to get a passport, and the sooner the better.

Why bother if they don't need it? The passport expires, and you are spending money for this year's use when there is no need for it.

The passport has been a stress reliever for us. We don't have anything to worry about. We live in MI and we have heard we will soon need it to get into Canada. Also, we decided to go to Europe on a cruise. It gives you more options and less worries. To get a passport is very simple. We went to our local travel agency where they took our picture. Then to the post office and turned in the paperwork. We got it back quickly. Use your birth certificate to get your passport. Also, on our last cruise, we went in a different faster line when we got off the ship. It looked like they were finger printing everyone with a birth certificate.

May I ask you...

...my husband applied for a passport 6 weeks ago, we cruise in 1 week, and I called passport office--they are running behind and expected time is now 8 weeks. We're only going to Alaska/Canada so he can use a birth certificate...

He was born in the 60s. Certificate doesn't have a seal like the kind that presses through the paper. It has a stuck on red seal.

Will there be any problem using this certificate do you think?

It doesn't sound like an official birth certificate. I have one with a red seal but it is from the hospital and not the official one required.

May I ask you...

...my husband applied for a passport 6 weeks ago, we cruise in 1 week, and I called passport office--they are running behind and expected time is now 8 weeks. We're only going to Alaska/Canada so he can use a birth certificate...

He was born in the 60s. Certificate doesn't have a seal like the kind that presses through the paper. It has a stuck on red seal.

This happened to me last month, we sent off for a renewal of our daughters passport, to get it in time for our Navigator Eastern. The Passport office said 6 weeks then 8 weeks, 8 weeks was 5 days before we left for the cruise, I was not that worried as if it didn't come she could always use her birth certificate, it was not until the passport arrived, 2 days before we sailed, that I realised where her birth certificate was,(at the Passport office).

Hope your passport comes or you have another birth certificate:)

If I were you I would call the Dept. of Vital Statistics in the capital of your DH's birth state and ask them to overnight you a certified copy of his bc. A stuck-on red seal is NOT a certified bc and that is what is required.

You had to have sent his original bc or a certified copy in with his passport application, so you will need another one to get on the ship.

Not sure what you mean.

I keep reading that everybody will need a passport as of January 1, 2007 to go anywhere, including Canada & Mexico.

Can you imagine how long the wait is going to be to get a new passport (or to get one renewed, for that matter), if you wait until late in 2006 to apply?

Adult passports are good for 10 years, and are more readily accepted as ID than are birth certs and driver's licenses.

I would bet there are going to be a lot of disappointed people who can't travel during the first part of 2007 either because they didn't know they needed a passport, or DID know and are experiencing delays in getting a passport issued.

If you can head that off, why not do it?

T

Can you imagine how long the wait is going to be to get a new passport (or to get one renewed, for that matter), if you wait until late in 2006 to apply?

When I got my passport it took about 3 weeks - this was a few years ago. When my mom got her passport last year it took her 3 weeks and it took my aunt about 5 weeks - they applied at the same time. At the time, the average time to get a passport was about 3 to 5 weeks. I've seen reports this week that it is now taking a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks to get passports. I can see by the end of the year the wait being 12 weeks or longer. If you are cruising next year, especially early next year, do not wait! Get your passport now.

May I ask you...

Does your DH have another copy? When I applied for a passport, they kept my birth certificate, returned it with my passport.

Archived