Is flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami a problem?

lakerat2

Air fare is much cheaper into Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have an opinion about flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami. It doesn't seem to be that far. We will need to take a shuttle or taxi ($$) or maybe the Tri-rail? Has anyone taken the Tri-rail?

Thanks for your help. :confused:

Sophie

Lakerat2

I much prefer the Ft Lauderdale airport to Miami for many reasons, one being that Miami is soooooo overcrowded and just standing in line to check in can take over an hour, and then another hour for the security check.

It's about 45 minutes to the dock in Miami from FLL, but it can be a little longer depending on traffic. Taxi's can run as much as $60 to $75 dollars. A private car will run you about $100. Super Shuttle is very inexpensive and that might cost you around $25 per person.

Tri County Airport Express is the shuttle service for Ft Lauderdale Airport. A shared ride shuttle from FLL to Port of Miami is $18 per person, no reservations needed. http://www.floridalimo.com/Pages/sharedr.html

When you arrive at the airport, collect your luggage and go outside the baggage claim area, lower level, curbside, contact one of ther starters (customer services reps.) wearing a white shirt with "AIRPORT EXPRESS" in red on the back of the shirt and an emblem on the sleeve and over the breast pocket. Let the starter know what service you are interested in and he/she will assist you. ;)

Fort Lauderdale is an easier airport in terms of its overall size and number of passenger's. So, there are a lot of benefits traveling to and from there. Just give yourself extra time to get from the cruise ship over there.

Keith

Never had bad problems with the Miami crowds holding things up, I always have flown through security with no problems.

I don't like Ft. Lauderdale because you can only check in up two hours before your flight. I like Miami because I can check in very early, enjoy the day in Miami and then fly home later in the evening when the cruise crowds have dissapated!

Also if you fly American, they let you check your baggage and check-in at the Miami Port when you disembark from the cruise! Bonus! I don't know if the other airlines do that.

On my last cruise. We got off the ship, checked our baggage, secured an earlier flight and got the boarding passes, and then enjoyed 4 hours in Miami Beach before heading to the airport. Great way to end the cruise vacation.

Archived