QM2 - Favorite "Value" Balcony Rooms

azlove2cruise

Anyone have favorite balcony rooms? There are so many different balconies, some with hulls and some with a picture window (but yet a balcony?) and some with a viewing balcony. I'm confused. So, I figured I would just see what you fellow cruisers have to say about your favorite balcony rooms on this ship before I book something. Sorry...looking to cruise as much as possible:D, so can't do minisuites or higher categories:(

Yes, I also would like to know what is meant by hull and non hull. And how can you have a balcony with an obstructed view.

____

Pat.

"In hull" "balconies" (decks 4 5 6) are like private deck areas outside your cabin where the balcony would be. Plus side? perfect for transatlantic crossings (sheltered from wind and spray). Larger than the balconies on the upper decks, VERY private. Downside? The opening to the sea is a large picture window without the glass. the rest of the outer wall is steel so not nearly as good as the balconies on the upper decks for sunbathing on a cruise.

The upper decks 8 9 10 11 12 have balconies like most ships, glass below the handrail and a small screen between balconies. Upside? great for sunbathing on a cruise, lovely views. Downside? Not private at all, anyone on the prom deck can see you, your neighbours can look around (and hear you around) the screen (and you, them). The non-grill class balconies are also smaller than the "in hull" balconies. They could be near useless in a crossing (wind and spray).

On deck 8 there are balconies that have lifeboats beyond them. The view from these is "obstructed" by these boats.

If I haven't explained it well then look at a brochure or the Cunard web site. Or better still, look back through the threads here to see the number of times this has been answered before with better explanations than I've given.

An ‘in-hull’ balcony is basically an outside cabin with a small extra room at the end of it separated by a glass door. However, the ‘balcony’ itself is literally a window-sized aperture cut out of the hull rather than a full glassed-in balcony as is the case with the deluxe balcony grade cabins. Although this affords less light than the deluxe balcony, it provides much better shelter from the wind and thus is a better choice for transatlantic crossings. The disadvantage is that if you lie down on the loungers provided, you can’t actually see the sea at all!:D

Saying that, I haven’t actually been on the QM2 yet myself and so my post isn’t from first-hand experience; I’ve only learnt this from reading message boards like this one, and indeed have booked my first TA for next year in an in-hull cabin as a result. The other good thing about the in-hull cabin is that it’s very unlikely you’ll use it much on a crossing as the weather is very unpredictable (and there’s so much else going on around the ship that you may not be spending much time in your cabin anyway).

So for a TA on a budget you’re better off with an in-hull grade or lower whilst on a cruise in warmer climates it may be more favourable to splash out on a deluxe balcony.

An obstructed-view cabin is basically a deluxe balcony with a lifeboat in front of it, hence why they are within the same grade as the in-hull cabins.

Hope that helps!:)

Thank-you Pepper and Cardinal, I did an image search and came up with excellent photos. I can't tell you what it said because the site was in Spanish but I have a clear picture of hull and non hull.

Thanks again,

Pat.

Thank-you Pepper and Cardinal, I did an image search and came up with excellent photos. I can't tell you what it said because the site was in Spanish but I have a clear picture of hull and non hull.

Thanks again,

Pat.

My pleasure.

Aha...I have a much better idea now, thank you! You guys on these boards are so much better than any travel agent. I'm all for saving money, but if I won't be happy because I didn't know what I was signing up for...My sailing is not a Trans Atlantic sailing, which I'm not brave enough to do just yet. But, I will definitely keep the "hull" balcony in mind when I get up enough nerve and feel I can deal with rough seas. I'll see what #9057 will cost, if it's available. Thanks:D

Aha...I have a much better idea now, thank you! You guys on these boards are so much better than any travel agent. I'm all for saving money, but if I won't be happy because I didn't know what I was signing up for...My sailing is not a Trans Atlantic sailing, which I'm not brave enough to do just yet. But, I will definitely keep the "hull" balcony in mind when I get up enough nerve and feel I can deal with rough seas. I'll see what #9057 will cost, if it's available. Thanks:D

If you have trouble with rough seas, then book 4084 (or close to that) on a LOWER DECK -- it has an in-hull balcony and mid-ship on a lower deck is the most stable part of the ship. When anyone up on the top decks is feel seasick, they will be wishing they had booked mid-ship below. And the lower decks are more reasonable in price.

One thing about seasickness -- do NOT ever, ever skip breakfast on a rough crossing because you are feeling a bit queasy. As any old sailor can tell you, that is the easiest way to become seasick. Eat something -- even if it is only soda biscuits or an apple. I know it seems counter-intuitive to eat when you are feeling seasickness coming on, but do NOT skip a meal. If you are afraid of throwing up -- order room service and eat. You can always stay close to the john in your stateroom, just in case the food decides to re-visit the outside air.

I'll post this link again to some cabin pictures on our last voyage. We were in a B6 obstructed cabin 8013 (8014 on the other side is similar). Only about one-third of the view was obstructed as it was behind the first boat in the row of life boats. There are also some other decent obstructed cabins "between boats" or behind the small boat. We preferred this cabin to the B4 we had (hull aka "sheltered" balcony) on our first trip.

Rick

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=548232658&security=wuXvlQ

This is just a personal opinion, but from experience- we were on the 2004 inagural Caribbean sailing and had an in hull balcony and we are sailing again this December but are going with an obstructed view as it is a lot cheaper than the deluxe with the plexiglass - We did not enjoy the in hull as we like to be able to see the sea while sitting in our room and being veritcally challenged I could not even see the water unless I stood on the chair- we have picked a cabin that is more between the lifeboats - hopefully it will be ok- Good luck

Hi Ricker,

Thanks for the photos. Friend of mine will be in cabin 8014 for the Labor Day Cruise and this gives them an idea of what their view will be.

Molly,

I agree with you about the in hull and obstructed view. For my January 2006 cruise I had an in hull on deck 6. It was fine because it was protected from the winter weather.

I chose a cabin on deck 8 for the Labor Day cruise that is between two lifeboats (cabin 8068). I also refused any upgrade because of the way Cunard does upgrades:rolleyes: . You usually go down the decks instead of up. Some other friends also traveling the Labor Day cruise got upgraded to an in hull balcony on deck 4 and still others to deck 6.

Maria - who is already counting the days to sail away.

I also refused any upgrade because of the way Cunard does upgrades:rolleyes: . You usually go down the decks instead of up. Some other friends also traveling the Labor Day cruise got upgraded to an in hull balcony on deck 4 and still others to deck 6.

Maria, I told them no upgrade unless it is to a Deluxe category (plexiglass ) also because an upgrade from the obstructed view (B5 I think) would be moving to one of the in hull balconies- pretty nervy of me, I know and it most likely isn't going to happen (upgrade that is). We are between one of the smaller lifeboats

When in 3rd/tourist class on QM and you've spent a long time choosing and booking just the right cabin, and Cunard ask "would you be prepared to accept an up-grade", say yes, "anything outside on deck 9".

If they say "no" or "sorry, full" then make a big fuss and accept, reluctantly, "OK, anything outside on deck 10 then".

Failing that, stay where you are!.

Worth a try!

Archived