A few final questions on excursions

mickym

HI and thanks again for all the great help!!

We have pretty much decided and booked our excursions but still have a couple questions.

We arrive in Juneau at 12:30PM. Orca is taking us to Mendenhall and will pick us up from there for our Whale Watch with Capt. Larry at 3:30. How soon should we head out to Mendenhall in order to have plenty time to walk to the falls and back before we have to leave at 3:30?

In Skagway we are going with ChilkootTours on the Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion. We just watched the PBS special on the White Pass train, what an amazing thing!!

Sitka we will be doing on our own and catching the highlights we have learned about on here.

My second question involves our excursion in Icy Strait. We are traveling with 14 other people. I am the only one on these boards so many are taking my recommendations on excursions. We have signed up with Kieth at teckk for a wild life excursion but I am not as comfortable with this one for what it costs. The Remote Bush Exploration and Wildlife Search offered by the cruise ship would save us $100 a couple. Is Kieth worth the $100 extra?

Also, what is the time for early and late dinning?

Thanks again!!!

HI and thanks again for all the great help!!

We have pretty much decided and booked our excursions but still have a couple questions.

We arrive in Juneau at 12:30PM. Orca is taking us to Mendenhall and will pick us up from there for our Whale Watch with Capt. Larry at 3:30. How soon should we head out to Mendenhall in order to have plenty time to walk to the falls and back before we have to leave at 3:30?

In Skagway we are going with ChilkootTours on the Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion. We just watched the PBS special on the White Pass train, what an amazing thing!!

Sitka we will be doing on our own and catching the highlights we have learned about on here.

My second question involves our excursion in Icy Strait. We are traveling with 14 other people. I am the only one on these boards so many are taking my recommendations on excursions. We have signed up with Kieth at teckk for a wild life excursion but I am not as comfortable with this one for what it costs. The Remote Bush Exploration and Wildlife Search offered by the cruise ship would save us $100 a couple. Is Kieth worth the $100 extra?

Also, what is the time for early and late dinning?

Thanks again!!!

My advice is to take the earliest tours you can if you want to do anything on your own afterwards. Time just FLIES!!!:( Early dining I believe was 6 and late was 8:30. We took the late so we had time to change and unwind from the day. You can always order cheese, fruit and crackers room service to hold you over before dinner. Room service is free and just tip a buck. And remember it stays light later, so you still feel like it's early!:p

The shuttle bus takes 20 mins to get to Mendenhall from downtown. Add an hour for the walk back and forth to the falls, with time to spare. It is NOT a trail, you walk on the edge of the lake, so watch where you are stepping. :)

I have nothing but great things to say about Keith Skaflestad. If you're concerned about the costs then book with the ship. But I will tell you- you will get a superior tour with Keith plus plenty of extra attention and real Alaska.

Thank you so much Budget Queen. I REALLY enjoyed talking to Kieth on the phone and felt totally comfortable with my choise to go with him but sometimes the more you research the more uncertian you become. Really want to do this all right.

Thanks again for the piece of mind that I have chosen well and can confidently recomend him to my cruisemates.

The shuttle bus takes 20 mins to get to Mendenhall from downtown. Add an hour for the walk back and forth to the falls, with time to spare. It is NOT a trail, you walk on the edge of the lake, so watch where you are stepping. :)

I have nothing but great things to say about Keith Skaflestad. If you're concerned about the costs then book with the ship. But I will tell you- you will get a superior tour with Keith plus plenty of extra attention and real Alaska.

Can anyone take the shuttle or is it a pre-reserve thing? Isn't there a visitors center at the glacier too? Does the shuttle have a website?

Thanks for the help.

Found the answer to part of my question:

Located in Juneau, Alaska's capital city, Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center overlooks the Mendenhall Valley. Visitors may reach the visitor center by city bus, taxi, tour bus or rental car. The city bus drops visitors a mile and a half from the visitor center. Those choosing to walk should be prepared for changing weather conditions.

From downtown: 12 miles. Take Egan Drive and turn right at Mendenhall Loop Road. Mendenhall Loop Road turns into Glacier Spur Road and ends at the visitor center.

From the Juneau International Airport: 5 miles. Turn left onto Glacier Highway. After a quarter mile, the road will curve right and become Mendenhall Loop Road. Follow this road across Egan Drive. Mendenhall Loop Road eventually turns into Glacier Spur Road and ends at the Visitor Center.

From the Alaska State Ferry Terminal: 7 miles. Turn right onto Glacier Highway. After a mile and a half, the road splits at Auke Bay. Turn left onto Mendenhall Loop Road. After four miles, it will intersect Glacier Spur Road. Turn left onto Glacier Spur Road

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/visitorinfo.html

Have any of you taken the shuttle and then walked the 1.5 miles up to the center? Is it a hard walk or pretty easy?

Found the answer to part of my question:

Located in Juneau, Alaska's capital city, Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center overlooks the Mendenhall Valley. Visitors may reach the visitor center by city bus, taxi, tour bus or rental car. The city bus drops visitors a mile and a half from the visitor center. Those choosing to walk should be prepared for changing weather conditions.

From downtown: 12 miles. Take Egan Drive and turn right at Mendenhall Loop Road. Mendenhall Loop Road turns into Glacier Spur Road and ends at the visitor center.

From the Juneau International Airport: 5 miles. Turn left onto Glacier Highway. After a quarter mile, the road will curve right and become Mendenhall Loop Road. Follow this road across Egan Drive. Mendenhall Loop Road eventually turns into Glacier Spur Road and ends at the Visitor Center.

From the Alaska State Ferry Terminal: 7 miles. Turn right onto Glacier Highway. After a mile and a half, the road splits at Auke Bay. Turn left onto Mendenhall Loop Road. After four miles, it will intersect Glacier Spur Road. Turn left onto Glacier Spur Road

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/visitorinfo.html

Have any of you taken the shuttle and then walked the 1.5 miles up to the center? Is it a hard walk or pretty easy?

The shuttle drops off right at the visitor center, the city bus drops off at the bus shelter over a mile away. I have gotten there both ways.

You do not need reservations for the shuttle buses but there can be lines. It is suggested you consider getting there early in your port day if possible. There can also be significant lines for the return. One time, I had to wait through 3 buses. Cabs are also available.

BQ,

I have made arrangements with Orca to be picked up at Mendenhall. The young lady on the phone said they would pick us up at the "overhang" where we are dropped off initially (she was not certain if they could drop us or if we'd take a local shuttle). I plan to check in with them earlier in the day (our whale watch is not until 3:30), but do you think she's referring to the shelter? If we are dropped there - is it best to hike up to the visitor center - or can we just do the trail around the lake from there? Is a stop at the visitor center worthwhile? Trying to gauge the amount of time we will need - she suggested 1 hr. 45 minutes.

There is a shelter, but I suggest you be out 15 min. early. It will be easy to spot an Orcas bus.

The visitor center can be skipped, unless you want some detail and have the time. You will walk right by the visitor center to get to Photo Point trail and to walk to the falls.

Archived