Need suggestions for formal dress for mom

aring75

DH and I are taking mom and dad on a 10-day cruise - their first. Mom needs two new formal dresses and she's not too excited about shopping for them. She's convinced that she's not going to be able to find anything that looks good on her. I'd like to take her shopping and be able to suggest flattering styles right off the bat so she's not automatically discouraged, so I was hoping for some ideas...

Here are some specifics about Mom:

- She recently lost some weight (yay Mom!) and is around a size 14.

- She's...ummm...top heavy, and somewhat broad in the shoulders. She's okay with sleeveless tops, but wider straps (she'll need proper support).

- She's about 5'-6" or so.

- She still has a bit of a tummy and is self-conscious about it, but her legs are good (even though she doesn't realize it).

Okay, I'm wondering if I should steer her toward one-piece or two-piece sets. Longer or shorter dresses? Dressy pants suits? I'd love to have her try on several things, but I don't want to suggest something horrendous and discourage her right off the bat.

I'd love some input from the more knowledgable people here!! Thanks so much!

We went through this with my grandmother last September, same dumpy attituted about dress shopping.

We ended up at Burlington Coat Factory and we found great formal wear there, she looked great in a two piece set "top with skirt" it was a red top with some sparkle to it and a long black skirt. She was worried about the

red that every one would make fun of an old women in red,

well she got so many compliments at the wedding!

so see if theres a BCF store near you or else JC Penny and Macy's also

are great for womens formal dressing!

Good Luck!

I might suggest a long black skirt (maybe silk crepe) and then find two different tops to wear on different nights. There are many nice looks out there that are not too bare: a silk satin shell with a sheer jacket (with some beading or special details) is one possibility. In my opinion, simple is better than overdone; you can always add more "glitz" with some larger earrings or a special pin.

My mom (74 this year) cruises frequently and is about a size 12-14. She tends to stick to basic black separates (long skirt, palazzo-type pants) and jewel-colored tops/jackets that she can mix and match. We have a Talbots outlet nearby that has been a good source for these items.

Hmmm...I like the idea of separates. I'll bet we could find a couple of really fantastic tops. Plus, it would probably be a more accurate fit because of her "top-heavy" sizing.

Now if I could just get her to buy some gorgeous shoes. All of hers are so plain.

...but that's another thread!

Archived