Bermuda Helmet Dive

cornmc

We did Bell helmet diving out of Kings Wharf last October. We had a really good time and thought it was very interesting and fun. On our excursion there were no children, but I know if you check the websites for the helmet dives they all do children. As I said we did Bell, but others we knew on the cruise did Hartley's and they also really enjoyed it. Both take photos, bell's also does a video that you can buy! Hope you have a great time!:p

I did Hartley's a few years ago and plan on doing it next week. They were great. I believe that most helmet diving places will allow kids to go. They have different sized helmets and there is no need to know how to swim so it might be a good thing for kids to do as opposed to snorkeling, etc.

We did helmut diving 3 years ago and my daughter(age 13 at the time) and her friend loved it. I, however found out I was claustrophobic. As the diver was putting the helmut over my head I started to hyperventilate and couldn't go through with it. Instead my husband and the girls went under and took some amazing photos with a disposable underwater camera while I just floated around in the water. I still had fun and was able to watch them enjoy themselves. Even though I didn't experience it first hand, I would recommend it as everyone else really had a great time.

Has anyone tried the Helmet Dives. Our last trip, the boat broke down and had to cancel our dives. Are they suitable for children?
out of St Georges on the may 21st cruise, run by :) Triangle Divers. They had helmets on board for kids although we had no kids on our trip. We loved it !! We didn't have photos taken by the tour, but bought a throw out and that's all you need. :cool: Great pics !! My DH can't snorkle due to a beard, but he loved it too because his head was dry and he could reach under the helmet to scratch !!

My husband also has a beard but as long as he uses a rubber mask he has no problems. He also has a mustache. We did a helmet diving trip in Bermuda a few years ago and they took poloraroid pictures as well as a video. They provided wet suits for any one who thought the water to be too cold.

As a representative of Hartley’s I can tell you we take children as young as 5. If you have any more questions, I’ll try and answer them without breaking any forum rules. I can’t give out our website, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find on a search engine.

We have done Hartley's with kids and seniors alike and all loved it! Gregg Hartley is a great diver and he really shows you everything including a Hog fish named Charles and an ugly green morey eel! We're taking the gang on the 7/1/06 Zenith to do the helmit dive with Hartley's ! Look for my other half he will be wearing a Hartley's tee shirt.

We did Hartley's out of Flatts a number of years ago. Took me several trips to Bermuda to convince my husband because he doesn't swim. We both had a great time. It's a don't miss experience IMO. I even wore my contacts. I'd love to do it again!

Just to clear things up, the helmet diving in Flatts Village is no longer affiliated with Hartley’s, it changed hands about 13 years ago.

Wow - thanks. I guess that's about how long it has been. It was difficult talking my husband into it - he doesn't swim and thought it would be a factor. Once I convinced him it wasn't and he tried it, he enjoyed the experience, but was very nervous the whole time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Where are your dives leaving from now? Perhaps the next time, I can convince him to at least come along for the ride.

My husband and daughter just did the helmet diving this last Sunday the 18th. My daughter is 10 and couldn't complete the dive due to ear problems. I guess there is alot of pressure in your ears.

My husband liked it but unfortunately, when you book an excursion - they do it even on rainy rough days. That's what they had. My husband said on a nice day it would have been alot more fun.

I'm not allowed to post the location of our business, because it counts as advertising, you should be able to find our website with a search engine.

If you can pop your ears on the airplane, you will be fine doing helmet diving. If you have sinus problems, or have a cold, you may be unable to clear your ears.

Archived