Hotels around port of San Diego

GREG781

Hi all. My wife and I are cruising on the Mercury from December 1-7th. I was thinking of staying the night in San Diego to see the area a bit. Can anyone suggest a hotel close to the port that has reasonable rates? Any info. would be appreciated. Also how far is the port from the zoo? Thanks......

Greg: Strongly recommend coming to San Diego several days ahead of your cruise. A lot to see here. Here's a link to responses to a similar inquiry on the HAL Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358871

My guess is that the trip from hotels near the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Zoo would be less than a $10 cab ride.

Bon voyage!

Hi all. My wife and I are cruising on the Mercury from December 1-7th. I was thinking of staying the night in San Diego to see the area a bit. Can anyone suggest a hotel close to the port that has reasonable rates? Any info. would be appreciated. Also how far is the port from the zoo? Thanks......

Port to the Zoo is maybe only a couple of miles...Zoo is in Balboa Park, just North of Downtown...Pier is at Broadway at Harbor Drive, just West of Downtown...

For Hotels, I guess it all depends on what you consider "reasonable"...

San Diego has a wide range of hotels...

A lot of folks on these boards like the Holiday Inn that's right across the street from the pier...

I'd prefer being in the Gaslamp District...for all the restaurants, shopping and nightlife...but those hotels may be a bit pricey, depending on what you're used to...the US Grant, the Horton Grand, the Westin Horton Plaza, et al...

There are also some nice hotels near Seaport Village, just a few blocks south of the Pier--the Marriott, Embbassy Suites, Manchester Grand Hyatt...

All of the above ar within a few blocks of the pier-- a short cab ride at best...check with the hotels directly, some may even have shuttles...

Good luck...

Embassy suites are quite nice and about 4 blocks to the ship, downtown eateries, attractions etc.

The Holiday Inn right accross the street from the ship is kind of sketchy looking but I have never stayed there.

If your looking for something a little more upscale, the W is a great hotel.

If your looking for something fun to do, go check out Balboa Park and just walk around. It is truly wonderful!!!! There are also some decent museuems to check oout

We are booked on the Celebrity Mercury to Mexico January 29th,2007:)

We chose to stay at the Hampton Down (Booked over the internet $99.00) Two nights b/4 cruise and One night after Cruise

They have Free Shuttle from Airport to Hotel plus Free shuttle to the Ship They will also pick us up when we get back and take us back to Hotel and return to airport in the morning

They also serve Breakfast

Have a Great Cruise

Stur Dayton,Ohio:)

Sailed out of San Diego last year -first time- it was awesome to see the cruise ships in th e harbour when we landed at San Diego. Everything was so close it looked like we could walk to the pier. But with 200lbs of luggage that was not the case

Oceanbreeze -October 1995-5 night W. Caribbean

Destiny -May 1999-7 night Eastern Caribbean

NCL Majesty- August 2000 -7 night Bermuda

NCL Sun-November 2001-13 night Repo Boston to MIA

Paradise-May 2002- 10 nights S Caribbean

Carnival Legend-Sept 2002-15 night Transatlantic Crossing

Royal Olympia Voyager-Feb 2003-15 night Amazon River

Rotterdam- June 2003-7 night Canada-New England

Enchantment of the Seas-Sept 1 2003-5 nights Cozumel and Belize

Costa Mediterranea- December 14 2003 Western Caribbean

Oosterdam-March 14th 2004- 7 nights Eastern Caribbean

Westerdam Nov 12 2004- 17 nights Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale

Mercury Feb 7 2005- 11 nights Mexican Riviera

Summit Sept 16 2005 – 14 Nights Vancouver-Alaska-LA

Galaxy Dec 29th 2005-11 nights Panama Canal

Carnival Victory June 13 2006- Canada New England

RCL Jewel of the Seas- Oct 31 2006- 12 nights Boston-Bermuda-S Caribbean-FLL

Carnival Spirit April 2007- 12 nights to Hawaii

Navigator of the Seas November 5 2007- 13 nights Southampton to FLL TA Crossing

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy. I flew Virgin to LAX on the way out and took a car down to San Diego as the distance isn't too far and by the time I waited for a connecting flight I was well on my way. Back Virgin via SFO (just the way the seats worked and I wanted to be on a 747 rather than an Airbus), so I took a United flight from San Diego to SFO and then back home. Very easy. San Diego airport is very convenient.

Phil

Phil,

Just looked at Virgin, but they don't fly to LAX from Manchester (we're up't north).

The best option from Machester looks to be Delta pricewise, but BMI timewise. have you ever flown any of these two.

We had thought about flying return to LAX. We are going April 07 and going into San Diego 3 days early.

My daughter is going on the same cruise (Mercury Dec.1). I helped her get the four-star Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina for $117 the night before they cruise. I got it on Hotwire. DD is thrilled!

HOB NOB HILL for breakfast.

Someone reccomended this to us last year. It wasn't a far walk from our hotel.

Great food, we all had something different and everyone enjoyed the service and food quality. They also serve mimosas or champagne with breakfast in case you need a little 'boost'. Their baked items are also amazing.:D

Dave:eek:

http://www.hobnobhill.com/

Phil,

Just looked at Virgin, but they don't fly to LAX from Manchester (we're up't north).

The best option from Machester looks to be Delta pricewise, but BMI timewise. have you ever flown any of these two.

We had thought about flying return to LAX. We are going April 07 and going into San Diego 3 days early.

Andy, I haven't flown BMI, but I flew Delta a few years ago now and they were fine. That was a few years ago though and I haven't heard great reports about them recently. Depending on availability, you could do Virgin to Orlando from Manchester and then onward to LAX. Personally that would be my preferred choice because I've flown Virgin a few times and been very impressed. Or what about BMI down to Heathrow and then Virgin LHR to LAX direct? The price doesn't look too bad. Delta is going to go via New York or Atlanta anyway so there is no additional stops. Just a thought.

Phil

wwww.sidestep.com/hotel/rs.do?searchid=009ce1b80929967be8e1a4afcc082100009

Archived