Billing problem

We received our credit card statement today and the HAL charges from the on-board account are hundreds of dollars more than our final on-board statement we received at the end of the cruise.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you contact HAL about it or the bank? Was it easily rectified?

We have had this happen twice - once with HAL and once with Celebrity.

With HAL it was just a $20 charge - I phoned them and it turned out that they were charging us for a laundry bag which they said we "must have put in our luggage by mistake" when I explained that there never was a laundry bag in our room they sent a credit to our visa for that amount.

With Celebrity the date of the charges was two days after we got off the ship so we just notified visa that this was not a legitimate charge, they removed the charge and that was the last we heard about it.

By the way, I now check everything in the room when we board so that we don't get any more charges like that again.

We have had this happen twice - once with HAL and once with Celebrity.

With HAL it was just a $20 charge - I phoned them and it turned out that they were charging us for a laundry bag which they said we "must have put in our luggage by mistake" when I explained that there never was a laundry bag in our room they sent a credit to our visa for that amount.

With Celebrity the date of the charges was two days after we got off the ship so we just notified visa that this was not a legitimate charge, they removed the charge and that was the last we heard about it.

By the way, I now check everything in the room when we board so that we don't get any more charges like that again.

Thanks, I will try telephoning them. Yes, I have had a difference of $20.00 before which was a laundry bag. I had placed it in my luggage by mistake.

This time, it is much more (hundreds of dollars) so I will telephone them. Did you just call the main number at HAL?

This time, it is much more (hundreds of dollars) so I will telephone them. Did you just call the main number at HAL?

Just for the record I would definetely call my credit card company also and they will send you a form to put these charges in dispute. Also send them a copy of your final statement from HAL when you left the ship along with the disputed charges form.

If HAL credits you immediately, fine, don't send in the form or if you already have sent it before you receive the credit from HAL, no harm done. Your cc company will see on your account that you were credited by HAL and that will be the end of it. But you should make it official that you are disputing these charges and if it is not settled in this billing cycle you also shouldn't be charged finance charges.

Could it be the difference between Canadian and US currency? I know our shipboard account bill was in US currency

Our credit card statement shows both the USD and the CAD amounts. They both are hundreds of dollars -- the CAD these days is close enough to the USD that you would need a really large charge for the difference in exchange to run to hundreds of dollars.

In any event, we are just waiting for the HAL billing office to open this morning to call them.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Do you let us know what HAL has to say.

Yes, I will revert after talking to them -- and let everyone know what happened. It could be some strange charge we forgot about that came in late -- but given the amount, I doubt it.

It turns out there was a charge from the Beauty Salon posted to our account (after we disembarked in Amsterdam) and which was not posted on our final ship-board account statement.

Since my wife did not visit the Beauty Salon more than twice, this third charge (for USD 347.) is being investigated by HAL.

Wow, even at their exhorbitant rates $347 is a lot of products or treatments! How curious that such charges were billed after disembarkation, long after a spa visit would have occurred and when you could not easily dispute them!!

Fortunately, I didn't have any duplicate charges on my credit card for the HAL excursions that I recently booked. I do have to go back in and cancel one of them and am curious to find out how that will be handled...will HAL immediately issue a credit to my credit card, or will I have to wait? (Our cruise isn't until Oct '06, so I don't think there should be any problems.)

Debjo

Hi Northern - It's been a few days & I was wondering if HAL had resolved that nearly $350 for the mystery beauty shop visit. Has the refund been credited to your card yet?

Just curious as to how quickly HAL responds & fixes their "oops". Thanks.

Fortunately, I didn't have any duplicate charges on my credit card for the HAL excursions that I recently booked. I do have to go back in and cancel one of them and am curious to find out how that will be handled...will HAL immediately issue a credit to my credit card, or will I have to wait? (Our cruise isn't until Oct '06, so I don't think there should be any problems.)

Debjo

I cancelled a shore excursion last fall and purchased another one, HAL credited my card for the cancellation right off. Just the normal time for processing to appear on my statement online. I would think this policy wouldn't change but perhaps someone has more recent info.

Debjo

In the last month or 2 I have made quite a few changes in shore excursions booked online. The credit was given immediately and showed up on my next credit card statement. I also received email confirmation of the changes, the new charges, and the credits.

Our credit card statement shows both the USD and the CAD amounts. They both are hundreds of dollars -- the CAD these days is close enough to the USD that you would need a really large charge for the difference in exchange to run to hundreds of dollars.

In any event, we are just waiting for the HAL billing office to open this morning to call them.

Keep in mind that banks charge a percentage(about 2.5% I think) for converting CAD to USD.

Another point, if more than one person charged items to the on board account and only one CC was registered, you will have individual statements for each user. The Balance Due figures are added together for your actual balance due. We were confused by this first time we experienced it.

Archived