Need Train Advice

We are planning to travel by train from Edinburgh to Southampton in August. It appears that Virgin Trains has the only direct train that does not require train changes in London.

Are there other trains that go from Edinburgh to Southampton with a train change in London?

Is Virgin Trains a good way to see the countryside?

How is luggage stored on the Virgin Trains?

Thanks for your advice......:)

Are there other trains that go from Edinburgh to Southampton with a train change in London?

Is Virgin Trains a good way to see the countryside?

How is luggage stored on the Virgin Trains?

If you change trains in London, you will also have to transfer between stations in London. The trains from Edinburgh to go Kings Cross, and the Southampton trains from Waterloo (and also from Victoria, although the Waterloo trains are better if you are simply going from central London to Southampton).

All trains have big picture windows, so you can certainly see the countryside as you go through it. But I would personally go absolutely stark raving mad sitting on a train for 7 hours or whatever if I had the chance to fly instead (and there are indeed non-stop flights from Edinburgh to Southampton, operated by BA Connect, the regional operations arm of BA which is now based on a low-fare airline model, and flyBE).

I don't know for sure about luggage, but I expect that as it's a long-distance train there will be a small luggage storage area at the end of each carriage. There is also usually space between many pairs of seat-backs, suitable for the less bulky items.

The Virgin Cross Country trains use Voyager trains, which are not noted for luggage capacity, or indeed high quality travel. For one thing the engines are under the floor and there is a constant drone from them. I know - I travel daily on one of the updated versions and that's a bit of a drag, even for an hour and a bit.

Globaliser is right that they have large windows, but unfortunately these don't always match up with the seats, so you can be sitting looking at the wall for eight hours.....

If you want to go by train, then the more scenic and comfortable route is via GNER to Kings Cross, but then (as Globaliser says) you would have to cross London. This shouldn't be too bad if you get a cab (taxi) but don't even think about the tube (subway).

I'm generally pro-train, so you're aware of my bias!

Archived