Conceirge Lounges After Drydock??

I noticed on another thread that after drydock the Splendour had a conceirge lounge added. I will be on the Rhapsody next spring and was wondering how to find out if she will get one too. They are both Vision class ships.

Any one know of a site where RCCL posts it's plans for what ships will have what done to them in drydock?

We can only pray & hope! ;) I also was surprised to read post #9 at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=348514&highlight=splendour

that this month, the Splendor added a Concierge Lounge on deck 7 in the old Card Room. We sailed on her last year & she’s a lovely ship & wouldn’t mind sailing on her again if the itinerary was something new to us.

The prices on the Rhapsody enticed us into booking an Owners Suite for December next year. Hope you got a good deal for your May 2007 sailing too. It would be fantastic if a Concierge Lounge was added during its next scheduled dry dock – February 9, 2007! :D

I’m not aware of a site that lists the RCCL dry dock schedule. But I do know the following:

Splendour of the Seas - May 6, 2006 [added Concierge Lounge]

Empress of the Seas - October 28, 2006

Majesty of the Seas - January 15, 2007

Rhapsody of the Seas - February 9, 2007

Grandeur of the Seas - April 14, 2007

Serenade of the Seas - April 24, 2007

Mariner of the Seas - April 29, 2007

Like you say, they are both Vision Class ships. Splendor was built 1996 & the Rhapsody in 1997. The Rhapsody is the larger of the two.

................................Splendour........ ...Rhapsody

Maiden Voyage………March 31, 1996....May 19, 1997

Passenger Capacity….2,076…………....2,435

Gross Tonnage………70,000…………..78,491

Length………………....…867'…………......915'

Beam……………..…......105'…………..….105.6'

Draft………………….....…24'…………….…25'

Cruising Speed………......24 knots………..22 knots

Don’t see any reason why they couldn’t put one on the Rhapsody. In fact, the card room on the Rhapsody looks even wider than on the Splendour so it should fit nicely.

Please let us know if you hear anything concerning the Rhapsody adding the Concierge Lounge. We may just have to wait & see from someone returning from a March 2007 sailing.

Hope you enjoy your cruise next spring & be sure to do a mini review for us when you return.

Happy sailing,

Suzy B

Which May sailing are you going to be on? I'll be on May 6 and am planning a live report for the trip and that'll be one of the first things I'm interested in as I was dim enough to book a Grand and an Owner's for this cruise (but it's a joint anniversary/birthday cruise and it's actually about the same price as the Owner's on the Alaska trip that this replaces, so, what the hey....ramen noodles are yummy).

Suzy B: I guess you will be sailing too early to benefit from the drydock upgrades, but I will be hoping for the concierge lounge addition. Also, there should be all new bedding by the time I sail. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Rhapsody though.

KarinaGW: I will be in Owner's Suite #8002 on the May 6th sailing, so we may be neighbors! The prices were just too good to pass up. I was in a Grand Suite last year that was almost the same price as this year's Owner's Suite. Both are great cabins!

Suzy B: I guess you will be sailing too early to benefit from the drydock upgrades, but I will be hoping for the concierge lounge addition. Also, there should be all new bedding by the time I sail. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Rhapsody though.

KarinaGW: I will be in Owner's Suite #8002 on the May 6th sailing, so we may be neighbors! The prices were just too good to pass up. I was in a Grand Suite last year that was almost the same price as this year's Owner's Suite. Both are great cabins!

(original reply did not register-so I'll try again)

I had originally booked 8000 (I love the idea of that cabin), but then the little voice kept nattering that I had been going to spend that much money anyway. When I called and 8004 was still opne and 8006 was (at that time, although since then 8008 seems to have come back to play) the last Grand available, it seemed like Kismet.

Especially as Rhapsody gets into port the same morning as my daughter has to be in Dallas (well, not really, but noone's heard of Kilgore) in the afternoon.

I had originally booked 8000 (I love the idea of that cabin), but then the little voice kept nattering that I had been going to spend that much money anyway. When I called and 8004 was still opne and 8006 was (at that time, although since then 8008 seems to have come back to play) the last Grand available, it seemed like Kismet.

Especially as Rhapsody gets into port the same morning as my daughter has to be in Dallas (well, not really, but noone's heard of Kilgore) in the afternoon.

C'mon - not heard of Kilgore? I'll bet there's scads of ex-Rangerettes that cruise!:D :D

I have heard of Kilgore and the Rangerettes. (I'm a native Houstonian). But I still can't think of what that has to do with the number 8000. Sorry, guess that's not something that ended up in "permanent storage". :confused:

on our Jewel Members Cruise, she had just gotten the Member cruises for 2007 & was having a meeting with guests about them. One was S Carib on Vision. I asked her if Vision class had Concierge Lounge for Diamond & Diamond Plus. SO she emailed them & was told NO - only Enchantment & Radiance Class & up.

So you may be disappointed.............. we booked Radiance 2 week Ultimate Alaska instead.

Hi WestieLass,

Actually, we are going 7 months AFTER you, so the upgrades should definitely be completed by our December 2007 sailing. :D

You are not going to believe this, but you are in our stateroom! :p Glad to hear you got a good deal too. Was there a particular reason why you chose #8002?

My sister stayed in #8004, the room next door, but on the Vision; so I would think they are set up the same on both ships. Their room had the bed facing the opposite direction of what you would want it to be – to lesson sea sickness. As you entered their room, the bed was on the right side (next to the bathroom).

So I figured cabin #8002, next door, would have the bed on the left side of the room – when you are in bed your feet are towards the front of the ship & your head to the back (aft). Therefore, you face the direction the ship is sailing. Being so far up front, my sister said at times, you could feel the “motion to the ocean”. :rolleyes:

Have you been in any of the other OS’s on the Vision Class ships? Can’t wait to hear from you when you return. Don’t wear out that whirlpool tub before we get a chance to use it!

MACOP - They probably weren’t aware that a Concierge Lounge had just been added to the Vision Class ship, The Splendour of the Seas, after it’s May 6th Dry Dock last month. It was a closely kept secret. Splendour is the 1st Vision Class ship to have one, so we all have our fingers crossed that RCCL plans to do the same on the Rhapsody when she is in Dry Dock next year on Feb. 9, 2007. So now you are really up to date! ;)

Your Alaska cruise sounds wonderful! Ultimate Alaska – haven’t heard about that one. Is that a new itinerary? Have a great weekend everyone!

Take care,

Suzy B

Suzy B,

I just ASSuMEd too much. When I read December, I thought this year instead of 2007.

I guess I chose 8002 because I was afraid of noise from the radio room in 8000(tried to ask that question on another thread, but never heard from anyone that had stayed in it). I generally stay on the port side, so the only other cabin was 8004. I stayed away from that one because it is an adjoining room. I was told that the walls are paper thin on adjoining rooms.

I have not stayed in an OS on Vision class ship - had a Grand SWEET last year on the Rhapsody. I just got back from a cruise on the Mariner. We had an OS and it was awesome! The Rhapsody's OS is slightly smaller, but still will be great. The Mariner OS's bathroom was to die for. The jacuzzi was wonderful - I know that Rhapsody's will be just as nice. I would not have believed that I would have spent any time in a bathtub on a cruise, but I have to admit I did. Very relaxing after a long, hard day on the beach!:rolleyes:

I was trying to decide between 8000 & 8002, but was afraid of noise from the radio room in 8000. Why do you "love the idea of cabin 8000"? Is it because one side has no neighbors?

Sorry, son graduated today and I've only just gotten time to look at the boards today.

From what I understand, from 8000 you have a really nice view of the bridge sidewings when you're on the balcony, you often meet the bridge crew coming in and of the bridge and it's away from everything. I've heard you don't really hear any noise from the radio room.

While on the Freedom pre-inaugural cruise, I attended a Q&A session with the RCI Execs and it was announced that they wil be adding concierge lounges to all the ships. Their goal is to add the newer amenities such as these lounges, specialty restaurants etc to the older ships in the fleet. There was no timeline given but at some point this will be done..

Also, FYI, Monarch and Vision are to have the new bedding by Aug. 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm...,so are you saying that during the 2-week Grandeur drydock next April, a concierge lounge may be added?

While on the Freedom pre-inaugural cruise, I attended a Q&A session with the RCI Execs and it was announced that they wil be adding concierge lounges to all the ships. Their goal is to add the newer amenities such as these lounges, specialty restaurants etc to the older ships in the fleet. There was no timeline given but at some point this will be done..Also, FYI, Monarch and Vision are to have the new bedding by Aug. 2006

The Enchantment is also a Vision class ship and it too has a concierge lounge. It was added during it stretch last year. The Splendor is the 2nd of the Vision class ships to have a concierge lounge. I am happy to hear that these lounges will be added to all the ships as they go into drydock. I prefer the size of the Vision class to the Voyager class.

Madelinerose, that would be nice if the Grandeur got one next April, but I think that 2 weeks is not enough, hope I am wrong!

Annieeee

The Enchantment is also a Vision class ship and it too has a concierge lounge. It was added during it stretch last year. The Splendor is the 2nd of the Vision class ships to have a concierge lounge. I am happy to hear that these lounges will be added to all the ships as they go into drydock. I prefer the size of the Vision class to the Voyager class.

Madelinerose, that would be nice if the Grandeur got one next April, but I think that 2 weeks is not enough, hope I am wrong!

Annieeee

I'de be guarded in any expectations on this issue. I heard the same line of corporate speak that RDeagazio did, and while I got the sense RCI is committed to adding the lounges, I did not get the sense there were any definite plans, timetables, or urgency on this issue. I think you also have to look at how RCI has fallen behind original and more specific committments to add cell service and upgrade bedding. I might be totally wrong, and will be very happy when all ships have concierge lounges, but I think it may be some time.

Has anyone actually confirmed that a concierge lounge has been added to the Splendour? I can't believe that RCI would keep it a secret if they had done so, and don't understand what the reason would be since the addition is a great selling point. I haven't seen posts from anyone who has recently sailed on the ship, and would appreciate it if anyone had some facts to back up what, at least until now, is only a rumor.

negc: A search will find several comments on the Splendour from people who have actually sailed her since drydock. They say that it replaced the card room.:)

The Splendour is looking good. The new bedding is very nice, plush and extremely comfortable. As a plus, they now have a concierge lounge. This was an unexpected surprise for our cruise this week in the Med. The Windjammer is still being renovated but half of it has opened up. It's a very nice set up. Great cruise so far!

Thanks for the reference. Sounds like a great addition to a wonderful ship. I am still surprised that RCI hasn't mentioned it on its website or elsewhere, but now that I look at their website again, I note that they don't mention a concierge lounge in their description of the Enchantment either.

Archived