What exactly does wheelchair accessible mean???

Etna

I'm due to go on a Med cruise on the QM on 16/6/06 (next week!!)

There has been some mix up with the room and now the room assigned to me is classed a wheelchair accessible room not a Handicapped room. (What's the difference??)

I have MS and will be using a wheelchair - my biggest concern is the shower, I need there to be no steps and some grab rails. I can transfer easily to a regular toilet.

Cunard are being v. unhelpful, can't describe the bathroom and don't have any photos. This room is on the 4th floor 42.....

I know this sounds very disorganised on my part but I really thought all was OK - as they say 'don't assume anything', I should have retained control of the arrangements - last time I delegate.......

I wonder can anybody describe the bathroom of a wheelchair accessible room of the Queen Mary? I would greatly appreciate your help as this is my first ever cruise and is with older relatives.

Etna.

Some cruise lines just use different terminology for HC cabins. One is calling them wheelchair accessible. Your cabin will be larger, and your wheelchair will be able to be wheeled directly into the bathroom. The shower will be a roll in shower and the sink will be raised so that you can fit your chair under the counter of the sink.

I do not know how accurate it is, but the access-able website has this information about wheelchair acessible cabins on the Queen Mary..

The doorways in each of these accessible cabins are 36” wide with offset hinges and a small ramped threshold. Throughout the room where carpet meets other surfaces you will find it flush for easy rolling. There are lowered shelves and all controls are reachable from a seated position. The bathroom doorway is 36” wide with a ramped threshold, there is a roll in shower with grab bars, fold down bench and hand held shower head. The toilet is raised and has grab bars

Archived