Food on Royal Caribbean...way too salty

We just came back from a trip to the Caribbean on the Explorer. It was wonderful...What a beautiful ship! Our ports of call were great too, service etc.

BUT!!!!!!!! The food variety was good but everything was extremely salty. I had asked for a low sodium meal and the only thing they would cook me special was chicken breast ...which I don't eat much of. I do know that if you request 45 days in advance of the trip that you may be able to have your special dietary needs addressed.

I had asked my travel agent to check to see if it was possible to get my hands on one of the menus for a 'special low sodium' menu and according to him there was none available.

Now I don't know about you but if we plan out a big cruise, (there were eight of us) we sure do want more of a variety than chicken breasts.

Besides ruining the taste of everything, my ankles swelled up from all the salt. This has never happened to me at home or on any other cruise ship except another Royal Caribbean ship I cruised on, the Enchantment of the Seas, also a lovely ship.

What I don't get is that out of 3000 people I surely can't be the only one not happy with this situation.

My husband and I were also thinking that maybe they don't desalinate (if that is even a word) the water enough. I actually saw a case of bottled water outside the next stateroom with shipping stickers all over it. It did not look like it came from the ships store , especially at $3.00 a bottle.

Anyone else experience this problem?

:) mskatee

Nope, never.

A the moment I am 22 weeks pregnant and, it seems, based off my reaction to every day foods that I would normally eat, sensitive to salt in terms of taste.

The only item I thought was overly salty on my cruise a few weeks ago were the crab cakes. I expressed my dislike, and that they seemed way too salty, and my table mates disagreed. We came to the conclusion that I was sensitive to salt because of my pregnancy.

Other than that, I dont recall any of the food anywhere on the ship tasting too salty.

I did not drink the water, out of the tap, on the ship. Opting instead to bring 2 gallons of my own water. I did, however, drink table water at dinner.

I had no swelling what so ever on that cruise.

Hi,

We had a lady on our cruise who needed a low-sodium diet. She asked on the first evening who to speak to about this. Our waiter called the head waiter over. Every night the head waiter would come to our table and bring the menu for the next evening for her to see. They would go over it and pick out the foods that she could eat. He did this for the whole week.

They did accommodate her as soon as she asked about it.

Here is what RCCL provides if you let them know.

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

Royal Caribbean International makes every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as, Food Allergies, Gluten-free, Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic) Low-fat, Low-Sodium, Lactate/Soy Milk, Ensure, and Kosher meals at no extra charge. All guests must do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that they brought the regular menu over and she chose what she wanted from it and they would prepare it low sodium style for her the next evening?

Or was it a limited menu. On a cruise we would like to have access to the good stuff like the lobster, fillet mignon etc. :)

mskatee

I'm surprised you've never swelled on other ships. We usually sail on Celebrity. I'm not much of a fan of salt, but don't have any dietary restrictions. I haven't ever thought the food tasted too salty, but I always swell, especially my ankles. I always drink lots of water too. If I have to choose between not swelling & better food, I'll deal with the swelling. :p I wouldn't think low sodium dishes would be very tasty on cruise ships, but I can see how it would be a problem for someone with restrictions. Sorry, they couldn't provide more of a variety for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that they brought the regular menu over and she chose what she wanted from it and they would prepare it low sodium style for her the next evening?

Or was it a limited menu. On a cruise we would like to have access to the good stuff like the lobster, fillet mignon etc. :)

mskatee

Yes, he brought the regular menu out each night to her. Together they would decide what she wanted for the following night and he would take care of it. She always got what they picked with no problem and she was quite pleased.

I am on Weight Watchers, so I weigh myself obsessively and can notice when there is even slightly raised levels of sodium in food.

When we were on Mariner in March, I drank a LOT of water - probably 120+ ounces a day. I did come back up about 3 pounds, and about 2 of that was water weight. Coincidentally, that is the same amount that I gained when we were staying in hotels for two nights and eating in restaurants.

Is RCCI's food high in sodium? Yes. But higher than any other prepared foods? My opinion is no. I think you just have to drink a LOT of water to counteract all of the sodium in any prepared foods.

And just to follow up with the previous poster's comments about reviewing the menu ... I have a deathly shellfish allergy, and every evening our Head Waiter would review my food choices with me to make sure I wasn't eating anything that could cause a reaction. I did e-mail the cruiseline in advance, and the Head Waiter approached me on our first night to discuss my allergies. But I also brought this up to our waiter and assistant waiter. They seemed to be extremely caring and concerned. We're cruising again in September, and I have already e-mailed Royal Caribbean with my food requirements.

Now I don't know about you but if we plan out a big cruise, (there were eight of us) we sure do want more of a variety of breasts.

What I don't get is that out of 3000 people I surely can't be the only one not happy with this situation.

Trust me, there were probably about 1500 people on your cruise that shared your concern. It seems that I never see an adequate variety of breasts on a big cruise. I'm lucky if I see 3, maybe 4, the entire cruise. And yes, I am unhappy with the situation. Further to your point, I agree that they seem to have more salination than the factory originals. This seems to be more and more popular these days.

Just wanted you to know there were others here that share your concern.

I think you may be having a reaction to the combination of heat and flying. My ankles swell terribly on airplanes, and it takes a few days for it to go down, slower if the weather is hot. I take a mild diuretic, but still have the problem when I fly.

Also, extra alcohol consumption might add to your problem.

I add no salt to my food, and I can really taste salt in food, since I haven't used any on my food for about 20 years.

DH and I usually find the food on RCCL and Celebrity to be pretty bland, and have never felt it was too salty.

Maybe the chef on your cruise was heavyhanded with the salt. I would definitely follow Alexis' advice, though, and ask the head waiter to let you select for the next night, and have them leave out the salt.

Sometimes I get some swelling, but that is even at home, if I am on my feet and walk a lot. I contribute the swelling to heat and being on my feet, not salt. I do not find the ship food salty at all. I always have to add salt because the foods are often pretty bland.

Just blame it on breathing too much of that salty air!!!!;)

My feet and ankles swell a great deal on cruises and I have also wondered if it wasn't because I was eating three meals a day of prepared food. I don't use salt in my meals at home, so maybe for those who are salt-sensitive the extra load of sodium on a ship is too much.

I don't think cruise ships are the only ones who use a lot of sodium. I think many resturanats tend to so so, especially chain restuarants such as Olive Garden, Carrabas, TGI Friday's, etc.

I add no salt to my food, and I can really taste salt in food, since I haven't used any on my food for about 20 years.

DH and I usually find the food on RCCL and Celebrity to be pretty bland, and have never felt it was too salty.

My ankles don't swell, when I fly either. Oddly, I've never found the food on Celebrity bland. As I said, I don't really care for salt though. That may be why. I do swell on ships though. Our last cruise was the worst. We usually take cruises 9 nights & longer, & I don't usually start swelling until we're at least half way into the cruise.

Alexis,

How was the low sodium version of the menu items? I may try that next time, if it's just as good. :)

And Boatbuilder......... LOL!!!! :D

Yes, it is a word that simply means..."removing salt."

On every cruise I've ever been on I also have the "bloat." I also feel like everything tastes "salty." It's because the ships use seawater that has been "desalinated"....There's no escaping it..Anything that is cooked with even a little bit of water will have that taste or maybe not the taste, but the effect of salt...bloating!!!

Ever notice how the buckets of ice in your cabin melt a lot faster than the buckets of ice in a land based hotel??? It's because all the water contains salt...

What do you use to melt the ice in your driveway after an ice storm...SALT!!

I have a friend who owns a desalinazation plant in the Caribbean who explained it.

Of course it doesn't make us happy when we are bloated but some have a high tolerance to it and others have the side effects of the swollen ankles and weight gain. It's quite normal...just uncomfortable.

Yes, it is a word that simply means..."removing salt."

On every cruise I've ever been on I also have the "bloat." I also feel like everything tastes "salty." It's because the ships use seawater that has been "desalinated"....There's no escaping it..Anything that is cooked with even a little bit of water will have that taste or maybe not the taste, but the effect of salt...bloating!!!

Ever notice how the buckets of ice in your cabin melt a lot faster than the buckets of ice in a land based hotel??? It's because all the water contains salt...

What do you use to melt the ice in your driveway after an ice storm...SALT!!

I have a friend who owns a desalinazation plant in the Caribbean who explained it.

Of course it doesn't make us happy when we are bloated but some have a high tolerance to it and others have the side effects of the swollen ankles and weight gain. It's quite normal...just uncomfortable.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head!!!!!! I was wondering the same thing.

Swollen ankles are a common occurrence on cruises. Out of a group of 21 of us on The Mariner recently, 10 of us complained of this problem. We found the food wonderful in every dining area on the ship. I don't think the food is too salty, I just think we probably eat and drink much more than our bodies are used to, hence swollen ankles! I have found drinking lots of bottled water and exercising while on board helps to eliminate the swelling. Let's face it, we stay up late, eat lots of great food, sun ourselves and enjoy our alcohol! What a great vacation! (-:

Yes, it's true....

Bottled water, walking, exercise and elimination of alcohol (don't know if that will happen!!!) will help the swelling.

All the people who drink the inclusive iced tea/water/lemonade are really drinking salt water...

Desalinazation only goes so far at sea....and I think that's why we all gain a few pounds (salt bloat) but two days after we're home...we're back to normal weight...well, almost!!!

We just came back from a trip to the Caribbean on the Explorer. It was wonderful...What a beautiful ship! Our ports of call were great too, service etc.

BUT!!!!!!!! The food variety was good but everything was extremely salty. I had asked for a low sodium meal and the only thing they would cook me special was chicken breast ...which I don't eat much of. I do know that if you request 45 days in advance of the trip that you may be able to have your special dietary needs addressed.

I had asked my travel agent to check to see if it was possible to get my hands on one of the menus for a 'special low sodium' menu and according to him there was none available.

Now I don't know about you but if we plan out a big cruise, (there were eight of us) we sure do want more of a variety than chicken breasts.

Besides ruining the taste of everything, my ankles swelled up from all the salt. This has never happened to me at home or on any other cruise ship except another Royal Caribbean ship I cruised on, the Enchantment of the Seas, also a lovely ship.

My husband and I were also thinking that maybe they don't desalinate (if that is even a word) the water enough. I actually saw a case of bottled water outside the next stateroom with shipping stickers all over it. It did not look like it came from the ships store , especially at $3.00 a bottle.

I like my food seasoned well so I have no complaints. However, people like my mother who does not heavily season their food may find some selections quite salty. I do think that the chef should not put so much salt in the food just out of consideration. You can always add salt to your food on your own if you need to.

I do not eat salt on anything at home and except for one dish on one cruise, lobster bisque, have never had any food that was too salty for me. I also have only gotten swollen ankles once on a cruise, the one that I got hurt on, drank waayy too much, and got severe sunburn on.

I get swollen ankles and feet when I fly and when I cruise. I don't cook with salt at home, well, maybe a little on potatoes or such, but the food on a cruise doesn't seem salty to me. I have noticed at home if I don't drink a lot of water and am on my feet all day, my ankles are swollen there too.

On cruises, I don't drink anywhere near the water I do at home. I drink 4 or 5 24 oz bottles a day at home. On a cruise I hardly drink water at all. That could be part of the problem too. Doesn't bother me enough to stop cruising though.

We have sailed on Explorer twice and Adventure once and have never noticed the food to be overly salty. I use salt, but DH doesn't. I just asked him if he thought the food was salty on our RCI cruises and he said no, so maybe it was just the Mariner. The food on our two Celebrity cruises was not salty, either. We are cruising on Jewel next week and have never sailed her or any Radiance class ship. I'll let you know about the food. The problem is that food opinions are highly subjective and everything is relative. I've seen posts on these boards that pan cruise food because it's not up to the standard of a 5-star restaurant. But we've never eaten in a five-star restaurant, so to us it's fabulous food. The fancy-schmancy restaurants serve things that I probably wouldn't eat anyway.

I can't imagine anyone truly being turned off by the food on RCI or Celebrity. Some things are better than others, but overall, excellent.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/19/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London.

Archived