Do I Need a Winter Jacket

grannynanny

I know there are many threads regarding packing for Alaska, but I'm still not sure what to bring. We are leaving on Thursday for Vancouver and sailing on Serenade on June 18. We have an aft balcony. Being from So. Florida, I get cold very easily, and it's a feeling I don't like. I know I need to bring layers, and I have a hooded heavyweight sweatshirt, but I've been told by some people that I shouldl bring a winter jacket. I know I need gloves and a hat, but do you think I really need a wnter jacket?? I hate the thought of carrying it with me, but will take it if necesssary.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciate. Can't wait to get on the airplane Thrusday morning!!!

Thanks, Nancy

Layers are the key. The weather in Alaska is very changeable. You may very well find yourself adding or peeling layers off all day. Also, remember a rain slicker and umbrella and most importantly binoculars.

Wow, I'm glad I'm looking through these posts! I almost forgot about binoculars, thanks JaniceW!

I can't wait for our trip on 6/23 out of Seattle. I'm packing in layers also, but do you think gloves and hats are actually necessary? We've cruised before but never to Alaska. I'm checking on the temps and right now at 12:08 am EST it's 70 degrees! The time change is 5 hours, correct?

We are listed with the M & M and hope we meet some nice people on our journey. Does anyone have any tips for us about Alaska? We're 50 somethings and not zipliners or hikers :p Thanks

We just returned from Alaska on the Zaandam. Winter jackets are not necessary but be prepared for rain. We wore a sweatshirt and sweatpants when going ashore in Juneau and Sitka and wore a rain parka and carried umbrellas. In Juneau helicopter excursions were cancelled due to poor visability. Ketchikan was sunny and our summer jackets over our regular shirts and pants was adequate, but there was a cool breeze.

When cruising the glacier if you plan to sit outside (highly recommended) then you should have a pair of gloves and something to cover your head and ears. DH and I sat on our balcony and wore our sweats, covered by our light jackets and used the wool blankets provided in the stateroom to cover us while sitting in the chairs. The gloves and hat helped. We were stopped at the glacier almost 2 hours and this was the only time it was really chilly.

If you don't want to go outside, there were plenty of seats near windows all through the ship. It is something to hear the glaciers as they calve so try and go outside.

The weather is unpredictable but the less clothes you take the more room you have. Each cruise I take I pack less and less and wear the same outfit more than once. Have fun!

Found these reviews really useful before we went on our cruise. Regarding the weather, we were surprised by sunny weather, blue skies and temps in the 60s for most our our week. College Fjord and Glacier Bay were cooler first thing in the morning (ie 6am- who can say in bed with all this scenary) but eventually peeled all the layers off. Once moving though it got cooler up top - which is where you want to be all day here to see everything. (We live in the northern part of UK so our max summer temp is around 75 - 80)

The only day it rained for us was in Ketchican but again it was warm drizzly rain - you only needed a light rain jacket - my husband wore his waterproof trousers and was too hot.

About what to wear, I can only say I was a little bit concerned about the whole dressing up thing. Eventually we decided not to as we go on holiday to relax and this cruise, for us, was all about the magnificant scenary and wildlife of Alaska. Also if we had realised we were close to a laundry room, we would have taken far less and just washed everything every few days! We ate in the Horizen Buffet most of the time, the food choice was fantastic and it meant we could be flexible about time and eat when we were hungry, not to fit around timetable.

We took Captain Larry's whalewatching trip after reading the reviews - well worth it and saw both humpbacks and orca and plenty of sea lions and bald eagles.

We also did the dogsledding on Glacier from Skagway - which was fantastic, especially the helipcoper ride.

The rest of the time we explored on our own. Give yourself plenty of time to walk around, lots of local stuff to see - Totem Heritage Centre in Ketchican is only about a 15 min walk from the ship, try the little museum in the local library too.

Skagway Tourist Office to a free guided walk - really interesting museum.

Pat Kramer the on board naturalise was so knowledgeable and we thoroughly enjoyed all her talks, could have listened to her all day, especially the talk on bears.

Stayed at the Empress Victoria after cruise for 1 night - loved the fish and chips at Barbs, Fisherman's Wharf. Only wish we had stayed 2 nights and not bothered with Vancouver, or maybe we should have done Vancouver at the start of our cruise! Too much hassle after scenic beauty of Alaska, but a good chance to buy the family souvenirs. Were really surprised by the amount of "down and outs" who approached us in the city, but being country bumpkins anyway we aren't used to the big city!

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your Alaska vacations. We can't wait to go back. Would even like to do a dogsledding winter holiday!

Wow, I'm glad I'm looking through these posts! I almost forgot about binoculars, thanks JaniceW!

I can't wait for our trip on 6/23 out of Seattle. I'm packing in layers also, but do you think gloves and hats are actually necessary? We've cruised before but never to Alaska. I'm checking on the temps and right now at 12:08 am EST it's 70 degrees! The time change is 5 hours, correct?

We are listed with the M & M and hope we meet some nice people on our journey. Does anyone have any tips for us about Alaska? We're 50 somethings and not zipliners or hikers :p Thanks

Yes you absolutely need knit hat and gloves. IF YOU PLAN on being outside your glacier viewing day. If your plan is for total inside viewing you won't need them. Alaska time is 1 hour from Pacific time.

A great layering item is polypropelene T-shirts, long or short sleeve. Worn next to the skin, they wick moisture away from your skin and are light and breathable in hot weather, and a fantastic insulator in cold weather. If you go to this page and go down to our whale watch photos you can see me in mine. I started out that morning wearing that shirt under a turtleneck, fleece sweatshirt, parka, ski cap and gloves to be out on deck early to see Tracy Arm, but by mid-morning it got so warm I'd peeled it all off except for that shirt, which was light, breathable and cool in the 80 degree weather. http://friishill.tripod.com/id111.htm

We just returned from Alaska on the Zaandam. Winter jackets are not necessary but be prepared for rain. We wore a sweatshirt and sweatpants when going ashore in Juneau and Sitka and wore a rain parka and carried umbrellas. In Juneau helicopter excursions were cancelled due to poor visability. Ketchikan was sunny and our summer jackets over our regular shirts and pants was adequate, but there was a cool breeze.

When cruising the glacier if you plan to sit outside (highly recommended) then you should have a pair of gloves and something to cover your head and ears. DH and I sat on our balcony and wore our sweats, covered by our light jackets and used the wool blankets provided in the stateroom to cover us while sitting in the chairs. The gloves and hat helped. We were stopped at the glacier almost 2 hours and this was the only time it was really chilly.

If you don't want to go outside, there were plenty of seats near windows all through the ship. It is something to hear the glaciers as they calve so try and go outside.

The weather is unpredictable but the less clothes you take the more room you have. Each cruise I take I pack less and less and wear the same outfit more than once. Have fun!

Thank you so much for your advice on what to pack for Alaska. I'm trying to start a a packing list for our June 24th trip and cannot make up my mind on what to take (without overpacking!)

Hi Alaska Novice!

I really like your relaxing attitude regarding what to wear for the Alaskan cruise. Thanks so much for the tips.

I also apprecite your reviews on the excursions you took.

I keep reading marvelous things about Capt. Larry. However, some people get dissapointed because they don't always get to see the whales.

We have reserved a helicpoter ride in Juneau.. a little worry it could get canceled... Do these helicopter cancellations happer often? do you know?:o

We have reserved a helicpoter ride in Juneau.. a little worry it could get canceled... Do these helicopter cancellations happer often? do you know?:o

Unfortunately, yes they do. You should have back-up plans in case you get bad weather.

Murray

I am Sooooo over this packing thing :p

I leave Friday for Seattle and am literally packing my suitcase. Going out on the NCL Sun. Decided to take a break and come check out the clothes threads. Here is where I am:

3/4 length light jacket w/hood and removable lining

light cotton waist jacket for ship

one pair of jeans

black 2-piece knit outfit

lined windsuit

short/long-sleeve turtleneck and other tops

blk pantsuit for formal night

Well, this is what I have so far. Gonna add some the daily necessities, two pair of tennis shoes, one pair of dress shoes.

I figure if I want or need anything else. I'll purchase it. It's amazing, my suitcase is only half full right now and in my mind...I'm pretty much done with the clothing piece. Go figure.

Archived