Kids and seasickness prevention

Blossum

Since you will only get replies from currently active posters, you might want to do a search. You will find LOTS of opinions and experiences. Best advice right off though is to plan ahead. And maybe even try the medicine BEFORE you depart on the ship to see if there is any reaction.

Just type seasick into the search engine. If you get too many response or want more add kids.

Some things that might help and can be used along with any medications......or instead of in some cases.

Green apples

Gingerale

Ginger candy...I picked up some at Harry and Davids that was delicious and found myself wanting it after the cruise.

There are also the wrist bands that work well for many people.

If your going to try some of the over the counter medications you may want to try them a couple weeks before the cruise to see if there are any side affects. Some tend to make people really drowsy...

We have never cruised before...we are curising out of NYC on 11/9 for a 10 day to virgin islands....what do people recommend to prevent seasickness?

I have tried most of what is out there. The best I have used is Triptone.

It is over the counter or you can ask the Pharmacist to order it. Take it before you leave and follow directions. My kids have taken it and friends.

We have been in 15ft swells and we have not gotten sick or even feel quesy.

I dive on small boats and it is wonderful. I have been sick ALOT - with other meds, but not Triptone.

Check with your doctor/pharmacist first and you might want to take it to try it out to see if you get tired.

Good luck.

Hi, ginger pills! I was starting to get a bit seasick on our last cruise and my cousin gave me two ginger pills. Took them and felt wonderful within 20 minutes!

They also did a study on myth busters (TLC channel) and it was proven that the ginger pills worked best.

I saw that mythbuster show also but I'm here to tell you that I've been using the relief band on my last 4 cruises and it works for me. It would be appropriate for a kid to use also.

I have sailed for many years on all size ships and boats and once in a while do get sick-it's caused by inner ear.

I've used the relief band even after being nauseous and it's made it go away within 5 minutes. Currently it's with a pregnant friend of mine for morning sickness.

search it on amazon or google or drugstore.com-there are reviews from other users on some sites.

I won't cruise or sail without it.

This is not the terrycloth bands-it's an electronic device you wear on your wrist-

Check with your pediatrician as to correct dosage of over-the-counter meds. We've used Bonine with DS on several occasions (a half pill, as per his dr.) and it worked well. The key is to use it BEFORE they start to feel unwell.

If you know your child is prone to motion sickness, just keep an eye on the water conditions. We were having breakfast one morning on the Lido in Barbados, where we had a snorkeling trip booked. I took one look at the water (even though the ship was completely steady) and knew DS needed to take something after he ate. He did, and he was fine, when many others on our excursion were very sick. Coming back from Canada last August, he was in camp and after dinner, I noticed the ship was starting to roll. I called the purser's desk and asked what kind of conditions we were sailing into. They said they'd just had word from the captain that there were rough waters ahead. Again, gave DS half a Bonine before bed and he was fine.

We also use the sea-bands. DS was 5 on our first cruise and is 7 now. I tell him they work, and it seems they do! It may be that they actually do work, or that the power of suggestion helps. I figure they can't hurt!

Enjoy your cruise, and I hope you have smooth sailing (and if you don't everyone feels well throughout!)

Archived