New to SD

Maineac

I agree with LUX:

I have sailed SD 3 times. Two were as close to a perfect cruise as one can get but the third was a disaster with fully 1/3 of the passenger compliment children. That has been well documented in a review and extensive comments but suffice to say, I took considerable "heat" from several members who disagreed with my opinion that SD is not for children. Ok, take your rug rats, just let me know so I may stay home. As has been stated above, I agree that passenger mix is critical on these, or any small ships. If you do end up with children or obnoxious adults, you do not have the option of retreating to your Veranda Suite but that said, there are plenty of lightly used deck areas to find peace & quiet. As far as the food, we found it suited us and seemed appropriate to the surroundings even though, naturally, there were some dishes we did not like. Will keep SD in our mix but also enjoy other holidays. Wish I was aboard now instead of working (sort of) at the computer.

All the best,

Jim.

Thanks for the words Lux and Jim - I absolutely agree with everything you said. To make an informed decision you needs both sides of the experience. I think was as balanced as I could have been and I made it as clear as I could that I thought I was in a minority - but certainly very far from alone.

It does seem to me - and this is difficult to explain coherently - but whereas Silversea because of it's size etc - is more forgiving to different types - with Seadream, you absolutely must want to mix. There isn't any other viable alternative other than "mix" - the cabin is a cabin and there isn't the balcony. So it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. With so much pre-booked events taking over the lounge - one night the Cook's karaoke evening would you believe - it meant no option other that the windy and rainy outside. Also there simply isn't any eating options as only one venue is open at any time. This is purposefully not made clear on the DVD, web site and brochure, as indeed the inaccurate description of cooking "a la minute" and calling shower-rooms bathrooms. So - back to the food - you have to eat breakfast and lunch outside even if you don't fancy it - and if you do want to eat outside in the evening that's not possible either. I found the whole sensation claustrophobic.

I think my problem is that I'm a cook by passion and it just didn't even meet acceptable for me.

Anyway I'm sure the OP's only decision is his balcony issue and that is something no one can help with.

Jeff

The last three posts have been very helpful.....Much as we love to socialize our "down time" is very important to us.......Some of you have had the good fortune to have sailed on other luxury lines. Any suggestions on a line with casual luxury (not into formal) and balconies larger then 12".

Man.

I haven't sailed with Seabourn but have sailed with Silversea 4 times in a year or so. I do not do formal but SS does. You can however use the Terrace restaurant on formal nights, or use your suite. In some of the bigger suites - our favourite is a Grand suite, you have a full lounge and seperate dining area. In the small suites there's more than enough room to dine, and they bring you (if you want) what's on the main restaurant menu course by course. That's great. We always have one DVD night - I take my own DVD's - and I get them to make us some sandwiches which is one of our favourite evenings.

Jeff

Mainac,

Sorry we all got off track from your inquiries but this is a no brainer for Casual Luxury...Believe me as I have crusied them all for the last 20 years and for Casual Luxury it would be SeaDream Yacht Club...They seem to have now prefected this way of Yachting...

I wore a suit and tie for years at work and the SeaDream "no Tux no Tie" policy really struck paydirt with me and my fellow CEO's and CFO's...while on vacation.

Listen, if you really start thinking of every aspect of the cruise you will go crazy and not relax...Let these guys pamper you...You also can pack a whole lot less when you don't need formal atire...

No matter which of these lines you choose you will enjoy...It is just after many cruises, I really prefer the Casual Luxury on those little SeaDream Yachts.

Quit talking and go book your Cruise..It seems that you really need one.

LUX

Mainac,

Sorry we all got off track from your inquiries but this is a no brainer for Casual Luxury...Believe me as I have crusied them all for the last 20 years and for Casual Luxury it would be SeaDream Yacht Club...They seem to have now prefected this way of Yachting...

I wore a suit and tie for years at work and the SeaDream "no Tux no Tie" policy really struck paydirt with me and my fellow CEO's and CFO's...while on vacation.

Listen, if you really start thinking of every aspect of the cruise you will go crazy and not relax...Let these guys pamper you...You also can pack a whole lot less when you don't need formal atire...

No matter which of these lines you choose you will enjoy...It is just after many cruises, I really prefer the Casual Luxury on those little SeaDream Yachts.

Quit talking and go book your Cruise..It seems that you really need one.

LUX

I certainly agree with you - I too spent too much time in formal settings, and even now it seems too much like work.

I believe that Jeff was on an unusual cruise - and it was obviously awful for him. But in the numerous times I have sail on SeaDream, I have never felt like I had to be a joiner or that anyone was infringing on my space or lifestyle. I have been at the Top of the Yacht bar with very drunk and obnoxious people - and I simply moved to another area on the yacht - and there are a number of areas that one can go to be alone, or to pair off in small groups.

I have been on Silver Seas with equally obnoxious people - so that is not unique to SeaDream. I find that SeaDream is very accommodating - I eat topside when I want - even when underway you can be seated at the fantail and have a delightful dinner on deck. I have also been served a full dinner poolside. You simply need to make your wishes known.

I have sailed on all the luxury lines, and once I found SeaDream, that is where I have stayed. Everything else seems to "try too hard"- lots of contrived activities and programs. I find SeaDream more in line with my lifestyle. Is it perfect? Not always - but far superior than most luxury lines at meeting my needs and situations.

Don't overthink this whole thing - it is casual luxury at its best in my opinion. Book it - and you will enjoy it I am certain.

Americans use the word "bathroom" for a public toilet. I asked where the "restroom" was in Canada and was very politely told where I could find the washroom. Since I wanted to do more than wash, I thought their name was as silly as my request.

Thanks Linda,

Clearly a private shower room isn't a public toilet - and this was a brochure intended for a European market. When I returned, I pulled both the brochure and DVD out and it seemed clear to me that the topic of a bath-free bathroom had been simply covered by using the description of "bathroom" with no pictures of the room at all except a picture of the "power shower" unit which I (and the rest of the group I was with) assumed was over the bath. I think it was intended to mislead, but it's done!

I was attracted by the "casual elegance" theme because I fundamentally object to being told what to wear. What I hadn't prepared myself for was the degree of scruffiness amongst some passengers in the restaurant in the evenings with both shorts, jeans and tee shirts being worn. I guess I hadn't realised that whilst I objected to the SS rigidity on this topic - I also realised that there was a happy medium and on our cruise I thought it had gone too far the other way.

The advice given to the OP by other SD enthusiasts is clearly sound advice, and I'm sure he'll have a great time on SD if that becomes his choice.

Jeff

I agree with LUX:

I have sailed SD 3 times. Two were as close to a perfect cruise as one can get but the third was a disaster with fully 1/3 of the passenger compliment children. That has been well documented in a review and extensive comments but suffice to say, I took considerable "heat" from several members who disagreed with my opinion that SD is not for children. Ok, take your rug rats, just let me know so I may stay home. As has been stated above, I agree that passenger mix is critical on these, or any small ships. If you do end up with children or obnoxious adults, you do not have the option of retreating to your Veranda Suite but that said, there are plenty of lightly used deck areas to find peace & quiet. As far as the food, we found it suited us and seemed appropriate to the surroundings even though, naturally, there were some dishes we did not like. Will keep SD in our mix but also enjoy other holidays. Wish I was aboard now instead of working (sort of) at the computer.

All the best,

Jim.

Ditto on that last line Jim! I was on Jim's last sailing and we loved it. Yes, missed the balcony for about 2 minutes and then spent all the time on the Balinese beds, out by the back pool socializing with the best people I have ever cruised with! ... including Jim of course!

Archived