Moped/Scooter rentals with our kids?

mrg013

We're going to bermuda on the 7-night Empress of the Seas cruise on July 29th. My wife and I have been to Bermuda before on our honeymoon, and we rented mopeds for the duration of the trip. Now, we are going with our two kids (16 & 11), as well as my brother and sister-in-law and their two kids (19 & 16). I would LOVE to rent mopeds again for at least one day that we are in Hamilton. Only the two of us have experience, and we are wondering whether or not you think it is a good decision to take all of these inexperienced people on mopeds as well.

The two 16 year olds are extremely excited about the idea of riding mopeds, as is everyone else. We were thinking of renting each person a moped, and then having one two person with our 11 year old with one of us.

I am well aware of the safety concerns of mopeds, but I really didn't find it to be that difficult the last time we did it, except for the fact that you're on the left side of the road. I'm just wondering if this seems like a completely irrational idea, but we're not really too worried. Are we crazy?

Probably a lot has changed in traffic volume since you were last there.

With 5 inexperienced moped drivers, driving on the left side of the road, traffic circles, high traffic volume, peak tourist season...lots of other inexperienced moped drivers on the road, I would first take a bus or taxi to get a feel for the roads, and then decide if you want to go ahead with it.

Scroll down on this page to "All Aspects of Road Traffic" for more info on driving in Bermuda. http://www.bermuda-online.org/wheels.htm

It's a beautiful island ... enjoy your cruise!

We were also thinking of renting scooters for the day until I was able to google and find the rental places on line with and the prices they charge. Boy they are really outrageous.

Most were between $40 and $50 per person with a $30 mandatory repair waiver and $ 15 insurance. I think I'll find alternative transportation around the island

Traffic is alot heavier than it was 15 years ago. No mopes either. Motor scooters. Use the buses. Everytime we go to Bermuda there are people on our ship who rented scooters and ended up getting hurt. A couple of years ago a lady from our ship was killed when she and her husband hit a bus.

The buses and ferries are great. The mopeds could be dangerous for inexperienced young drivers along with the expense. Most times on our previous 6 cruises to Bermuda there has been someone injured.

We just spent a week in Bermuda for our Honeymoon (returned Saturday). After watching other people try to navigate the scooters we opted not to try. The rental fees by us were $60 a day for a 2 seater & you had to buy the insurance. The traffic on the roads were very heavy & lots of cars & busses were passing these scooters in the other lane to get around them. The biggest thing we saw was people pulling out into traffic heading in the wrong direction as if they were in the states. If your not used to driving a scooter or driving in the oposite direction in the other lane I would definately suggest you stick with the busses & ferries. It's much safer.

We've never tried the mopeds even though we wanted to. We've seen many people come back with injuries and although you might be an experienced driver others are not. Our last sailing in May there were quite a few accidents. One couple had been to Bermuda several times before and always rented this time they weren't as fortunate and she ended up in the hospital with her jaw broken in 3 places and her husband had broken fingers and really bad slide burns.

I know a lot of people will say but I've done it before and it's been fine but believe me there is so much more traffic and when the cruise line even advertises not to use the mopeds I figure there's a good reason.

I offer the following for your consideration, I am not telling you to NOT use mopeds but "think before you drive."

As an experienced MC driver ( over 200,000 miles ) I would recommend that you use the public transportation. We have been to Bermuda 5 times and each time the traffic seems to have increased 25%.

Driving on the left is one thing but roundabouts ( traffic circles ) are a totally different animal. In addtion the roads are not your typical roads they are narrow and winding with limited visibility in most areas. You want to be able to enjoy the scenery, this is a major distraction that causes many accidents. The islands are coral, you slip, fall or scrape a wall and it is going to tear you up and hurt.

Some of the rentals are not in the best of shape from a mantainance standpoint most notably brakes, and if you break down you have to wait for someone to come pick you up, provided of course that you can reach them by phone.

When renting also don't forget to add in the price of gas, you think it's expensive where you live ....

What ever you decide, have fun and enjoy the islands, it is truely one of the small pieces of heaven on earth.

I strongly recommend not having inexperienced people drive the scooters, only experienced drivers should consider it. The traffic is heavy, roads are generally narrow, winding, and have no shoulders. Add roundabouts and driving on the left and you have a receipe for trouble. The nurses at the Emergency Room of the hospital see a number of tourists every day for scooter injuries.

Personal note: I am a Nurse and have worked in ERfor years. I have treated many patients with injuries due to motorcycle/moped accidents.These machines are not a toy! I would NEVER allow am inexperienced rider in "wrong way traffic" Bermuda. My son a NYC Paramedic and motorcycle driver rented in Bermuda 15 years ago and said it was difficult at best for him, with the tourisit who did not know what they were doing. Traffic with the locals was ok, but he personally stopped to help not one but three fellow passengers easc on his own moped who had fallen and been hurt. One had to be hospitalized in Hamilton, but fortunately he was able to meet the ship in St. George. Think hard about it. 3 day transportation bus/ferry passes and taxi's are the way to go. I hope that I have not offended anyone, but safety first, after all this is your much deserved vacation. Save the mopeds for home where the 16 year old can learn with the proper equiptment, not bare foot in Bermuda shorts, with no helemt!

We're going to bermuda on the 7-night Empress of the Seas cruise on July 29th. My wife and I have been to Bermuda before on our honeymoon, and we rented mopeds for the duration of the trip. Now, we are going with our two kids (16 & 11), as well as my brother and sister-in-law and their two kids (19 & 16). I would LOVE to rent mopeds again for at least one day that we are in Hamilton. Only the two of us have experience, and we are wondering whether or not you think it is a good decision to take all of these inexperienced people on mopeds as well.

The two 16 year olds are extremely excited about the idea of riding mopeds, as is everyone else. We were thinking of renting each person a moped, and then having one two person with our 11 year old with one of us.

I am well aware of the safety concerns of mopeds, but I really didn't find it to be that difficult the last time we did it, except for the fact that you're on the left side of the road. I'm just wondering if this seems like a completely irrational idea, but we're not really too worried. Are we crazy?

Personal note: I am a Nurse and have worked in ERfor years. I have treated many patients with injuries due to motorcycle/moped accidents.These machines are not a toy! I would NEVER allow am inexperienced rider in "wrong way traffic" Bermuda. My son a NYC Paramedic and motorcycle driver rented in Bermuda 15 years ago and said it was difficult at best for him, with the tourisit who did not know what they were doing. Traffic with the locals was ok, but he personally stopped to help not one but three fellow passengers easc on his own moped who had fallen and been hurt. One had to be hospitalized in Hamilton, but fortunately he was able to meet the ship in St. George. Think hard about it. 3 day transportation bus/ferry passes and taxi's are the way to go. I hope that I have not offended anyone, but safety first, after all this is your much deserved vacation. Save the mopeds for home where the 16 year old can learn with the proper equiptment, not bare foot in Bermuda shorts, with no helemt!

I just got back from Bermuda on the EOS. My DH is a motorcycle rider and would not attempt rent a scooter in Bermuda since the traffic was so crazy... especially in Hamilton. The roads are also very narrow.

We thought about it by the Dockyards since that side of the island wasn't too crowded but it was $85/bike per day. Also gas there is about $8/gallon and you had to refill what you have used.

We decided instead to buy the 2 day bus pass good for all the buses and ferries. All of the major sites have bus and ferry stops so it was really easy to get around this way. A word of warning: it can be a little scary getting around this way because the buses don't really fit on the roads and you will have many close calls with other cars and the stone walls on the sides of the road.

Avoid the taxis if you can. I took the taxi to Spicelands and back (about 10 minutes from Hamilton) and this cost me $45. This was in a small car too. The small cars have lower rates than the vans.

There are companies that do jet ski tours. This might be a safer ride for your family since you won't have to deal with traffic, driving on the left side, etc. but can still ride around and have some fun.

I've been to Bermuda twice on a cruise (most recently last year) and many, many times by plane - because we like to stay 10days - 2 weeks in a cottage on the south shore. On each time, but the last, we rented mopeds ...BUT - we know the island like we know our home town. so we are not looking for roads or trying to find our way around. We are not sightseeing - that's about the worst thing you can do on a moped. If you want to see the sights take a cab or a bus.

If you are the least bit hesitant about riding - DON'T. You have to ride with the confidence of a native or you're in big trouble. If you are asking if you should rent them, I'm thinking you have some doubts, so I'd say stick with the buses.

I had my first experience with the buses last year when I went with my sister. We got the 2 day pass and it was great! The routes cover most of the fabulous scenic areas and you can look at that instead of the traffic.

If you really want to enjoy your Bermuda experience, don't get a moped. You'll be constantly watching out for and worrying about your children - and while doing so, might get into an accident yourself.

Traffic is alot heavier than it was 15 years ago. No mopes either. Motor scooters. Use the buses. Everytime we go to Bermuda there are people on our ship who rented scooters and ended up getting hurt. A couple of years ago a lady from our ship was killed when she and her husband hit a bus.

WOW...I am highlighting your post, copying it and giving it to my husband. Guess we are NOT doing mopeds now like we did 8 years ago!! thanks all for the warnings.:eek: :eek: ..........

We just returned from Bermuda and I would not take any children on a scooter or have any children drive them. The roads are narrow and dangerous. The buses do not watch out for anyone. They drive extremely fast and will get right up to the back of your scooter. It's pretty crazy out there - believe me. There's alot of traffic!!

Archived