Train From Rome To Port --hoave U Done It?

sunsetme

does anyone have first hand experience with this? we would have to get a cab to the termini, schlep luggage and then worry about getting a cab to the port on the other end. the private transportation is $200, the ship wants $85pp. is it doable or will I have a heart attack trying to deal with the luggage and stress?

Theres a company called romecabs that will bring you from rome to the port for 110.00 Euros for up to 3 people with luggage... thought about the train myself but really dont want the stress and hassle...

Good Luck,

I'll try and get you the site but I'm not very good with the computer hahah

Phyllis

I guess it depends on your physical state, but DH and I refuse to pay what they ask to bus/taxi/limo you to the port. Out hotel is close enough to Termini to walk, we're going to take the train to the port...walk the little bit from the train station to the port entrance, at which point a shuttle picks you up to take you to the ship. Then again, we also plan to take the train all around while in Rome, Naples, etc...it's part of the experience for us! But, if you're going to have a heart attack from stress, it may be worth the extra money for you!

does anyone have first hand experience with this? we would have to get a cab to the termini, schlep luggage and then worry about getting a cab to the port on the other end. the private transportation is $200, the ship wants $85pp. is it doable or will I have a heart attack trying to deal with the luggage and stress?
Yes, we've done it several times, and it wasn't stressful for us. We like riding the trains. I don't understand the comments about the taxis not being available in Civitavecchia to go from the train station to the ship. We've sailed in and out of that port 7 times and have not seen a problem with the cabs. At any rate, the walk to the ship from the train station is downhill. I don't think I'd want to pull luggage up that hill, but down wouldn't be bad. At the entrance to the port, you'll find a shuttle bus because the Italian authorities don't want passengers walking around an industrial port. But as the others said, do what works best for you, so if you think it's too much trouble, go for the easy transfer.

Have a great trip,

Donna

P.S. There was one comment on the boards that may be contributing to some of the misunderstandings about taxi availability in Civitavecchia. One of the board members wrote that Celebrity literature states that there are only 11 taxis in Civitavecchia. While that may be correct, many taxi drivers from Rome come down to the port, so there are many more taxis available.

Just did this in May. Taking the train is fairly easy BUT I would not want to use the train if I had large/multiple suitcases.

We stayed in a hotel 2 blocks from the termini station. Dh and I each had a carryon size rolling bag plus a shoulder bag we could sling across the body.

Be aware that there will be stairs involved, most of the time escalators either weren't available or if they were, they didn't work. Once you buy your tickets you generally must go down a flight of stairs then up a flight of stairs and walk to the track. Big step up into the train, couple more steps up and then if the compartment is full you have to open 2 doors to the next compartment and so on. No big deal with a small suitcase per person.

From Rome to Civit. we took the train (4,20 euros) at 9:00am. There was hardly anybody on it. Our suitcases fit in the overhead rack.

No taxis that we saw at the station but no big deal it's only a 15 minute walk. The walk is easy but not with heavy or multiple bags.

The train from Civit. back to Rome was packed as it was 8:40am. So not only commuters but day trippers and there were 5 ships in port that day. No problem we just walked back a few cars and found seats.

DH and I take public transportation wherever we go. For us it's partly to save money but it's also part of the adventure and doing as the locals do.

hi dls!

we are also goint to take train to civittavecchia... thanks for the info.

BTW in wich hotel did you stay in rome? we don't want to spend a lot on hotels in rome cause we ll be there only one night before our cruise, we'll be arriving at 1pm and would like to spend the afternoon and evening visiting ( maybe the colosseum.

Any advice on how to book tours in ports of calls for less money than celebrity is asking? we are visiting mikonos, santorini, rhodes, istanbul, ephaesus, aege( ahtens) and naples.

I heard that mikonos ang santorini we could do it by ourselves.

Did you like your hotel in Rome? was it expensive?

thanks

berenger

Hi Berenger,

I can offer Rome hotel advice near the Termini station but not on your ports of call, we didn't visit any ports in Greece.

Through http://www.venere.com we reserved La Casa Di Amy. If you go to that website and click on the Rome area, then the area called Republicca by the Termini station, La Casa Di Amy is listed under B & B's.

We loved this place. It was only 110 euros per night including breakfast. Basically they rent out a room in a flat. We stayed there 1 day pre cruise and post cruise. The rooms had private shower and AC. Lots of reasonable tarttorias nearby. The rooms can be noisy but not when windows are closed and AC is on. We slept like babies.

Claudia the caretaker doesn't speak much english (we speak a little Italian and she's working on her English so it was fine) and if she puts you in a flat other than the one she resides it can be difficult to get her but we managed.

She has a wonderful breakfast including killer coffee, scrumptious salami, proscuitto, fruit, creal, yogurt, cheese, tomatoes, rolls. Like visiting your best friend. I would recommend it definitely for the price and convenience.

We (ages 52 and 60) took the train with our luggage from Civitavecchia to Rome (Termini). If you are physically fit, it can be done. Yes, there are some stairs but you just go slow. If this option is too stressful or too adventurous, then it may be worth the money to hire a car service.

We stayed at the Mecenate Palace in November 2005 for 130 euros per night including all taxes and breakfast. It was wonderful - nice room, professional staff and great Italian breakfast in the rooftop lounge overlooking the church Santa Maria Maggiore. It is part of the Golden Tulip hotel chain (www.goldentulip.com) and is about a 10 minute walk from Termini.:)

I've read so much about the train that we're going to attempt doing it on our own. We are going to Genoa in early October and staying with my husband's family for a few weeks. Then we are train'ing' down to Rome and spending 2 nights there (Hotel Alius..70 euros a night incl. breakfast) and then taking the train to Civitavecchia, walking to the port entrance and then taking the port bus to the ship. By george!, if some can do it, we can too!! I'm hoping that having an Italian speaking husband will make Rome and travel in general easier..we shall see. We were in Rome about 30 years ago and to be honest, my husband doesn't care a thing about going back. I've talked him into a day of "rome-ing" around so that I can see the sites one more time without the kids (this time).

Be careful in Rome. My brother-in-law in Genoa told my husband recently that he was there and had his wallet picked on the metro. I know it can happen to anyone, anywhere but just be alert!

Our family of 4 took the train to/from the port last week. Our children ages 11 & 14 each pulled a suitcase. My husband & I also pulled suitcases and had backpacks and an additional bag which we hung from our wheeled luggage. It was very doable and we would do it again. Here are my tips.

Train tickets are easily purchased at Termini station for Civ. Departs every 20-30 minutes, so timing is not a problem. We did not reserve seats, which meant travel for the 4 of us was 14Euro total. There were plenty of seats heading to Civ mid-morning and we put the luggage in the seats across from where we were sitting. When we got to the port it was a 10 minute walk to where the shuttle bus picked up passengers for the various cruise ships. There were stairs to/from the train station going underneath the tracks, so make sure you can lift or pull luggage easily. The walk to the shuttle was also uneven which was not a problem for us, but if walking is difficult for you, I wouldn't recommend this method.

Returning we have some lessons learned. There seemed to be no shuttles running from the ship to Civ, so we chose to walk. This took approx 45 minutes to the train station and had us rather exhausted for the rest of our morning trip. In hindsight, I'd have waited for the 20E cab, but the lines were very long. At the station we purchased our tickets and there were plenty of seats on the train. We chose to stand in one of the end cars that have no seats so we could be with our luggage. (Monday morning 8am, we figured the seats would fill with commuters. Several stops later we were glad we did this, as the train was packed. We paid 16E for the return trip since it was rush hour. Some people got off the train with a transfer ticket (I don't know which stop) and headed to the airport. We took the train all the way to Termini and then went from Termini on the Leonardo DiVinchi express back to the airport. Ask about the transfer ticket, as we passed many of the same stations en route back to the airport and could have saved time. Another lesson learned - make sure you have Euros to purchase the train tickets when you change trains at Termini. The machines take credit cards in the main terminal but it's a hike from where you get off the Civ train. It's easier to keep Euro to purchase tickets from the machine right there or the Tobacco shop (9E each). The lady at the track is selling tickets for 11E (I guess she gets 2E for sitting there for people in a hurry.)

Wow! Thanks for the detailed info. We'll be traveling next April with our two kids, who are a bit younger. I'm thinking we'll use the trains a bit, where we never have before. Knowing what others have experienced is great as we make our plans. :)

Archived