where to stay in new orleans?

going on grandeur in november out of new orleans....will be driving from texas. Where should we staying the night before the cruise? please help, I have never been there? Is there a place that will let us park while we cruise?

thanks, gina

well since im from new orleans, i can help you out.

i'm almost positive that you can park your car at the port of orleans, which is where you have to board the ship anyway.

here's their website: http://www.portno.com/

any hotel in the french quarter or downtown area is nice.

DO NOT stay at any hotels by the airport!!!

the wyndham at canal place is at a very nice location, its near the port of orleans and in walking distance to bourbon st.

of course royal sonesta & ramada plaza on bourbon are also good, and all still close to the port of orleans.

Now that you received the local answer, I will give you the tourist answer. I stayed 6 nights in the crescent city last October-November and spent the first four nights on the wrong side of the crescent! I was on the west bank and got a bit scared at times. My last two nights were at the Fairfield in the Garden District which is absolutely beautiful (Anne Rice lives there!).

What is great about the Garden District is that it is a lot more quiet than the French Quarter so you can get a nice restful sleep before the start of your cruise. Also, if you want to go visit the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, you can get there by hopping on the St. Charles Streetcar which will bring you to the corner of Canal street very close to the Quarter. I forget how much the streetcar is but I think it's around $1.50.

Enjoy your trip and have fun in Ne Orleans, I consider it my favorite City.

The Bourbon Orleans is an incredible hotel. I think it is now owned by Wyndham. We stay there every year for the French Quarter Jazz Fest. As the name states, it is on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans streets in the heart of the French Quarter. Great location to experience what New Orleans has to offer.

greybear i can understand why you were scared being on the west bank, i've lived here all my life and i've only been there twice..haha

as far staying in the garden district, thats also an option. i just assumed (my fault) that they would like to stay near bourbon or the downtown closer to the port of orleans.

oh! how can i forget about the bourbon orleans!. thats also a good place

my suggestion is (depending on how many days you stay) is if you want to see bourbon street and the river walk and everything that makes new orleans ....new orleans, then stay near bourbon/downtown area. everything is in walking distance and close by and even close to the port of orleans.

The Bourbon Orleans is an incredible hotel. I think it is now owned by Wyndham. We stay there every year for the French Quarter Jazz Fest. As the name states, it is on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans streets in the heart of the French Quarter. Great location to experience what New Orleans has to offer.

I agree, Bourbon Orleans. The best.

We have stayed at Dauphine Orleans every year for 4 years. It is in the heart of the Quarter, one block off Bourbon but quiet, lovely, peaceful and historic. You can visit their website www.dauphineorleans. The prices are much less than Bourbon Orleans and you get more of a small hotel feel and definitely not a chain hotel vibe! Highly recommended.

I have never gotten the "chain hotel vibe" from the Bourbon Orleans. Even since Wyndahm's ownership, it seem as if they have strived to keep the same charm it has always had. I just love having a room that overlooks Bourbon street. But I will agree the Dauphine Orleans is wonderful as well. I'm not positive it's that much cheaper, though.

Godfrey, I hope I didn't offend you. I agree Bourbon Orleans looks lovely, we have walked around in it and it is gorgeous. As far as cost, I know I have priced them every time - we talk about staying somewhere else and then never do because we figure we love it, why change it! Bourbon Orleans has always ranged from a little more to a lot more.

As far as parking, I don't believe you are going to find a good hotel in New Orleans who will not charge you for parking. NOLA is too popular as a destination of itself. I think you are going to have to park at the pier, or pay for parking at a hotel.

Have stayed a the Bourbon Orleans and it is a very nice hotel, expensive when we were there but very nice.

There is also a Sheraton on Canal that we stayed at, not as expensive and just as nice.

Mike and Trish

Wolfganghowell,

I second the Dauphine. Stayed there also and enjoyed the hand painted birds of New Orleans dining room. Continental breakfast was good and used the complimentary shuttle to Jackson square often.

Lately, I found the Alexa online. Good location and good price. Anyone have information on this hotel?

truffles2 check my earlier post on this page, i have posted the port of orleans website on it. there is a map that shows the nearby are and the parking and hotel as well. also phone numbers too.

hope that help

angela

Archived